F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I able to use a trickle charger during COVID?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Am I able to use a trickle charger during COVID?

Hello. I have a 2015 Jaguar F-Type convertible (3.0L 6cyl). From being held in captivity by COVID, my baby had been sitting in the driveway for a few months. Long story short, I ended up having to get a new battery. I have a 6v/12v trickle charger that I've used without issue for years on a Subaru kept in storage part of the year. With no end of the pandemic in sight, I'd like to use the same trickle charger on the Jag and avoid the dead batter problem again. Because I want to be able to drive the car randomly, I'd prefer to simply pop on and off the jaw clips rather than do some type of wired connection. The Jag manual is basically useless for this, it doesn't even show where the batteries are located. I know where the one in the trunk is located and that it help supports the ECO Feature. However, it was the other (front?) battery that was replaced. Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. The stuff I read on the forums did not apply and scared me. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Arski
Hello. I have a 2015 Jaguar F-Type convertible (3.0L 6cyl). From being held in captivity by COVID, my baby had been sitting in the driveway for a few months. Long story short, I ended up having to get a new battery. I have a 6v/12v trickle charger that I've used without issue for years on a Subaru kept in storage part of the year. With no end of the pandemic in sight, I'd like to use the same trickle charger on the Jag and avoid the dead batter problem again. Because I want to be able to drive the car randomly, I'd prefer to simply pop on and off the jaw clips rather than do some type of wired connection. The Jag manual is basically useless for this, it doesn't even show where the batteries are located. I know where the one in the trunk is located and that it help supports the ECO Feature. However, it was the other (front?) battery that was replaced. Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. The stuff I read on the forums did not apply and scared me. Thanks!
There is no battery in the front of the car. There are connections to jump/charge, but no battery.

DC

Old 02-09-2021, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. If there is only one battery, then this will be the second one I've bought in two years. Yikes. I am aware of the jump connection under the hood, but there is only a connector for the positive (red). There is no connector for the negative (black). I could ground the negative-black to a metal bolt, but I don't know if that will work. If there is only one battery (mechanic at the dealer said there were two, was he talking about somethingelse?), are there any issues connecting directly to it with the trickle charger?

Old 02-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Arski
Thank you. If there is only one battery, then this will be the second one I've bought in two years. Yikes. I am aware of the jump connection under the hood, but there is only a connector for the positive (red). There is no connector for the negative (black). I could ground the negative-black to a metal bolt, but I don't know if that will work. If there is only one battery (mechanic at the dealer said there were two, was he talking about somethingelse?), are there any issues connecting directly to it with the trickle charger?
Yes...The ground post is right near it here.

Also, some of the older models have a second battery for the ECO Start/Stop feature.

DC

Old 02-09-2021, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Arski:

It seems that you do not use your F-Type often enough (or far enough). The electronic modules in this car need full battery voltage all the time - when the battery voltage drops all sorts of (apparent) problems appear. The best thing you can do, the thing that will eliminate any battery issues, is to fit a battery maintainer, not a trickle charger. The most favoured battery maintainer is the CTEK brand and the easiest thing to do is to fit the connector cord PERMANENTLY to the battery system in the trunk - and both your batteries are there, the main battery to the left, the stop/start battery to the right (there are threads here on how to do it - so easy). You then simply connect the CTEK charger to the cord. Done. It takes 3 seconds if you are slow to connect and disconnect - and your next battery purchase will be 6 or 7 years from now.
The photo below shows my CTEK unit on the wall and the cord connecting to the small connector at the trunk lid.

Last edited by sov211; 02-09-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:08 PM
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Why not just damn the man and charge that battery the old fashioned way by driving fast and blasting some Red Barchetta 😎

The following users liked this post:
schuss (02-15-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 03:51 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

By "trickle charger" do you really mean a battery maintainer? AUIU, trickle chargers deliver a constant low charge regardless of the state of the battery, whereas battery maintainers merely charge and then top up when necessary, thus keeping the battery in perfect condition.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wound up hardwiring a standard charger pigtail in the trunk of my FType per instructions that I found online at an F-Type forum.. Was not difficult. Then just popping the trunk & connecting whenever I wasn't driving the car for extended periods.

Worked great.

Was told that connecting to the jumper ports will NOT keep the entire car charged & that the connection to the specified connection points in the trunk underneath the carpet was the best - & it did work great for me Used a Battery Tender Junior which was plenty if the battery was already charged when starting.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2021, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

OP, if you have a 2015 F type, you do have a second smaller auxiliary battery to support the electronics while the engine is shut down during a drive. Whereas the primary battery is locate towards the left rear of the boot, the auxiliary battery is located right front of the boot in front of the subfloor cubby.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:01 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

On the 2014 convertible, the 2nd battery is under the trunk bottom, near the right taillight. Mine has been dead for at least a couple of years, which makes ECO inoperable (I’m ok with that.) need to remember to remove it.

The following users liked this post:
schuss (02-15-2021)