F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Too Old For IRR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Am I Too Old For IRR?

I currently have a 2008 black XK that I have enjoyed for 4 years. However, it's time for a change. That said, I have waiting for me at the dealership, two 2015 and one 2016 F Types to choose from. They are...

2016 Base white with glass roof
2015 Lunar Grey S
2015 IIR S (well equipped)

So here's the rub, I'm in my mid-sixties and young at heart, however I do not want to run risk of "appearing" to advertise a mid-life crisis. The IRR is head turner, while the white and lunar grey are a bit more subdued. I certainly do not mind driving a car that "gets attention" as the XK has received its share of compliments.

Anyone out there have a similar experience?

Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
I currently have a 2008 black XK that I have enjoyed for 4 years. However, it's time for a change. That said, I have waiting for me at the dealership, two 2015 and one 2016 F Types to choose from. They are...

2015 Lunar Grey S

So here's the rub, I'm in my mid-sixties and young at heart, however I do not want to run risk of "appearing" to advertise a mid-life crisis. The IRR is head turner, while the white and lunar grey are a bit more subdued. I certainly do not mind driving a car that "gets attention" as the XK has received its share of compliments.

Are you too old for an F-Type? Of course not! While I "get" where you're coming from [re] the color, I say who cares what anyone else thinks of your choice of color (or car for that matter)? You've already stated you're young at heart - and age is, after all, only a number - so trust what your gut, and eyes, tells you and enjoy the ride!

Color is, far and away, THE most subjective of options available.

Good luck and go for it if IRR floats your boat.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts
Thumbs up

IRR is stunning...I say do it!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Dave. I liked your question, and felt you could use a chick's opinion. I recently purchased my first jag (2007 XKR). I wish that I could have afforded this car newer back when I was in my 20's. But the truth is, these are expensive cars and not many younger people can afford the car or the maintence prices. Yes the F type is a beautiful, performance sports car, but it is a Jaguar. Most people would associate the name with style and class. The car will get a great deal of attention, and There will always be those who call it a "mid life crisis car".. But they are probably just jealous. My advice, is to get the car you like best, the car you feel suits you and that you will enjoy driving. After all it is about you, not what other people think. I am sure the majority of the attention would be positive anyway. I know I would definitly check the car out if I saw it on the road.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

We are close in age. Why on earth would you worry about what others think? Anyone drawing such a conclusion is the one with a problem. The IRR is a stunningly beautiful color, and if that's your favorite, that's what you should purchase.

However, the real bottom line is that some people are going to draw stereotypical conclusions regardless of what color F-Type you purchase.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-12-2015 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I have been strugling with the same choice, and have deceided to look for a 2015 R in IRR (instead of a new 2016 S - also in IRR).

I might have found the car I have been looking for, but have to wait another week as the salesman is on Holiday....

But when the color choice was made, it is no going back to look for cars in other colors ;-)

And I am 54 - but age has nothing to do with it. Go for the color you like!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

It's also worth considering the well known fact, that Red ones are faster as well!

I have IRR, and it's lovely, especially when the sun shines - the paint comes 'alive'

Old 04-12-2015, 10:13 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I went through some of the same thing - Salsa Red is very flashy, while I'm not. As an introvert, I didn't want everyone looking at me. But I figured they'd be looking at the car, not me. And I thought Salsa Red on the vert was simply too pretty/striking not to get. And I finally came around to Foosh's way of thinking - who gives a rip what other people think? Though I'm a young-un - turn 51 tomorrow.

I think IRR is prettier on the coupe than Salsa Red is, and it's a bit less in-your-face. If you like it, you won't be disappointed!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I had the double whammy of not only being "of a certain age" but also a woman who chose not only the R coupe but the IRR. Love my choice and people who really know me are not surprised by my choice and why would I care what strangers think? Every time I approach the car I am struck as to how absolutely gorgeous the body style and color are. Go for the IRR! You can always purchase a white or gray car when you are in your 70s although I will probably be purchasing a yellow or orange car at that age.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I am 44, recently lost my wife, had a hard attack, and i am going through a mid life crisis. I embraced it, and I got myself an IRR R coupe.

The color is beautiful, but if they didn't offer IRR, I still would have bought the car in some other color.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Get whatever u want. Who cares what anyone else thinks. As long as your happy. You deserve it.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I am your age too and getting mine in IRR. I like to brag that it is my mid-life crisis no.4.

I always thought that the E-Type was best in red and it follows that the F-Type should be red too.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am 61 and appear to be having a mid life crisis that started in 1972 !!!

4Holer (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
I had the double whammy of not only being "of a certain age" but also a woman who chose not only the R coupe but the IRR. Love my choice and people who really know me are not surprised by my choice and why would I care what strangers think? Every time I approach the car I am struck as to how absolutely gorgeous the body style and color are. Go for the IRR! You can always purchase a white or gray car when you are in your 70s although I will probably be purchasing a yellow or orange car at that age.
Your choice is much more subtle than a friend of the family: She is/was a "Beltway Realtor" who having hit her targets for the year got a Cadillac DeVille Coupe. In Pink.

My sister reports that it was fun watching people struggle with the lack of congruency between the car and it's owner. But, as she put it herself: My car, my choice. You don't like it - you can shove it...

Lovemonet (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I have the IRR FtypeR coupe and it does draw lots of attention.. Personally, I'm not after the attention and actually spend most of my time on the 'back' highways around here just enjoying the car.

When I have been in the city, people come up with lots of compliments..

I believe the car itself draws lots of attention no matter the colour.. The IRR just adds to it.

If a lot of attention turns you off, then the car itself could be a problem, however, if you can just enjoy the car and its beauty, and ignore the gawkers, then you will love it.

Lawrence

Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are definitely to old. Leave the IRR to me. I feel I should have an exclusive on the color in my area. Even though your in another state, your only one state over. I have been retired for awhile and my IRR 2016 should be here in a couple of weeks. Pick another color to be your exclusive. Cecil..........

Old 04-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I assure you, driving an orange sports car as a sixty-something year old looks no more ridiculous than a 25 year old driving a white one, who is basically still a child. Go for it

Old 04-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

2015 Lunar Grey S

I considered IRR but chose instead Firesand. Believe me when I say that IRR is mild compared to Firesand.

Howver, I'm not your age. I'm 68. Live life and don't give a damn what others think. They will give you thumbs up when they see your Jag, whatever color you choose.

F-typical (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

If the color makes you uncomfortable and conspicuous based on what others might think, don't get it. Otherwise, that's the great thing about getting older. You don't care how you look wearing Bermuda shorts and knee-high black socks.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

TD - It's your money, your life and ultimately your car, get whatever puts a smile on your face.

Good luck and hope to hear

Quick Reply: Am I Too Old For IRR?