F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto kit .....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 04:37 PM
Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

I received my second unit from GTA, I have a Bose 2016. Tried all dims off, dim 1 & 3 on no touch screen.

So it looks like this unit does not work with software from 2016 onward.

Shame cos I like the unit.

Last edited by LedZepplin; 07-15-2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LedZepplin
I received my second unit from GTA, I have a Bose 2016. Tried all dims off, din 1 & 3 on not touch screen.

The GTA unit and touchscreen functionality works with my 2017 F-Type S AWD with Bose. I found a cable to be a tad short (this seems to be a universal criticism) but I am otherwise delighted with the unit. I'm sorry that it didn't work for your 2016 - looks like they need to work on the software a bit more.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:49 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I received my second unit from GTA, I have a Bose 2016. Tried all dims off, din 1 & 3 on not touch screen.

Sorry it's not working out for you. Jaguar made a lot of changes over the years. A small change to the software on yours might be the culprit.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:26 PM

Ok got it working so for a 2016 F Type R I needed DIM 1 & 3 ON and Dynamic mode set to Factory. So the Dynamic mode was the issue it was on MySettings.

Now the only issue I have is after 1-1.5 minutes it returns to the Jaguar home screen when in Android Auto. Im using Android Auto connected wirelessly also tried connecting USB same result.

Don't see a setting to keep it in Android Auto any ideas?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2023, 05:43 PM

Ok got it working so for a 2016 F Type R I needed DIM 1 & 3 ON and Dynamic mode set to Factory. So the Dynamic mode was the issue it was on MySettings.

Now the only issue I have is after 1-1.5 minutes it returns to the Jaguar home screen when in Android Auto. Im using Android Auto connected wirelessly also tried connecting USB same result.

Don't see a setting to keep it in Android Auto any ideas?

Thanks
Not sure. I haven't seen a setting for that either. Mine doesn't do that. The only problem I have is loosing GPS when I keep my phone in my pocket.
But glad to see you are making headway.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
The only problem I have is loosing GPS when I keep my phone in my pocket.
But glad to see you are making headway.
I was also losing GPS when the phone was closed (e.g. in my pocket). Fixed it in my iPhone settings by allowing Google Maps and Apple Maps to "always" have access to location data even when not using the app.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:32 PM

Ok it was going to the home cos I had that setting on i.e. time out to home screen. All working now

The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (07-23-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by car5m
I was also losing GPS when the phone was closed (e.g. in my pocket). Fixed it in my iPhone settings by allowing Google Maps and Apple Maps to "always" have access to location data even when not using the app.
Thanks, I will give that a try

Old 08-24-2023, 07:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good morning! The GTA unit in my 2017 R reboots 3 to 4 times while driving around. Basically, the infotainment system in my car shuts down, and when it comes back up, I'm at the GTA Home screen. My iPhone 13 has to reconnect all over again. Is anyone else having this problem?
Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose the Carlinkitlife carplay kits. It is the same module as GTA. The installation method and module settings interface are the same. But only cost $329, and I was pleasantly surprised that Carplay worked perfectly after installation.
https://carlinkitlife.com/products/w...oring-decorder

Old 10-04-2023, 01:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I had success using a similar unit (for the bosch version in my 2017 F-Type).I purchased it off Aliexpress for $182 at this store 'Shop1102910647 Store'. Here is the web address sorry reader long .. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
It appears to be the identical unit to the kit that Gtacarkits.com supply for $535 but with their logo on the case. I followed that installation video www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHxGc2gnxUQ&t=36s

Some Tips:
1. The supplied wiring loom is really too short for the F-Type. The solution I found is to unravel some the loom fabric tape where the loom splits from the units power connector into a 'Y'. Shorten the Y down to one or two inches will gain you another 2x4" in length (8") enough to route between the console display screen and the head unit behind the seats. Fabric tape can be purchased on amazon for $6 to reward the now separated two bundles of wires. See photos.
2. Dip switches need to be 1 and 3 ON all others OFF
3. The touch screen will be unresponsive to touch unless you disable the configurable Dynamics back to factory setup. This was the reason I couldn't figure out how to even get the installed unit working. Sadly that is one feature you will have to sacrifice, but the car's own microphone and backup camera works as do the steering wheel Vol up/down buttons.
4. It has an equalizer in the units software settings page. It also has a way to automatically calibrate the anti-echo for the microphone. My calls were initially echoing.
5. The installation position of the unit is down the side of the transmission tunnel. I do have a concern with the operating temperature of the unit which gives off a lot of heat. It has ventilation holes in the case but it can't be placed anywhere else other than tucked beside the trans tunnel. Without the trim piece back in place I measured 110F. on the case even though I positioned the case so that both sides of the case holes have an air gap. In my opinion that's too hot and will get worse when the trim panel is replaced. There isn't any other alternative installation location unless you physically extend the wiring loom and can locate the unit in the space behind the display screen. Even that will not have good ventilation. I will reach out to the supplier for comment.

Loom as supplied

unravel some of the loom tape to extend the overall length (reduce the 'Y" part)

Feed loom and the video cable through here per GTA carts video

This is where the loom should come out inside the console

My Dynamic setup has to be turned off, otherwise the screen is unresponsive

Automatic mic calibration

Equalizer function

Volume settings

Concerns about operating temp of unit which gets hot! No other feasible location. This is operation without the trim panel back in place, so it's gonna get hotter once the panel is replaced..

Last edited by Simonusa0; 10-04-2023 at 03:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Simonusa0:
JagBarr (03-13-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 03:35 PM

@hfauien, Did you install the unit tucked beside the trans tunnel like the gtacarkits video? Due to the wiring loom length there is no other feasible location. I wrote a detailed review just now lower in this thread, with photos. Have you checked how hot your unit is getting ?? Mine is physically hot to the touch and measured at 110F without the trim panel back in place. I am concerned it will not last long with those temperatures and without sitting in a ventilated space.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by hfauien
I chose the Carlinkitlife carplay kits. It is the same module as GTA. The installation method and module settings interface are the same. But only cost $329, and I was pleasantly surprised that Carplay worked perfectly after installation.
https://carlinkitlife.com/products/w...oring-decorder

@hfauien, Did you install the unit tucked beside the trans tunnel like the gtacarkits video? Due to the wiring loom length there is no other feasible location. I wrote a detailed review just now lower in this thread, with photos. Have you checked how hot your unit is getting ?? Mine is physically hot to the touch and measured at 110F without the trim panel back in place. I am concerned it will not last long with those temperatures and without sitting in a ventilated space.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:38 PM

The extra sound controls must be a CarPlay only control, because I can't find it on Android Auto with the same system.

Simonusa0 (10-06-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 10:44 AM

The extra sound controls must be a CarPlay only control, because I can't find it on Android Auto with the same system.
I bought this part from Aliexpress (for Harmann): https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPIpxJ8
It is, I think, exactly the same part as the others.
To get to the equaliser, you first have to get out of the Android Auto menu. For me, it worked with a quick tap on the Jaguar's home button.
On this screen, which also displays the apps (Spotify, Phone, WhatsApp, etc.), simply press Quit.
You are now in the main menu of the box, recognisable by the iOS, Android, Airplay etc. apps.
Go to "setup" and then to Audio Setup.

Stefan

Old 10-13-2023, 11:19 AM

I bought this part from Aliexpress (for Harmann): https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPIpxJ8
It is, I think, exactly the same part as the others.
To get to the equaliser, you first have to get out of the Android Auto menu. For me, it worked with a quick tap on the Jaguar's home button.
On this screen, which also displays the apps (Spotify, Phone, WhatsApp, etc.), simply press Quit.
You are now in the main menu of the box, recognisable by the iOS, Android, Airplay etc. apps.
Go to "setup" and then to Audio Setup.
greetings Stefan

Old 07-01-2024, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I have a 2015 Jaguar F-Type S coupe with the Bosch unit.

I ordered the autoabc Android Auto / Carplay module for my car.

After installing the module, when I long-press the NAV button to change to the autoabc module, all I get is a black screen.

Searching online I've seen where dip switch settings usually allows the module to work, and in one case, I saw where a module needed a firmware update.

I've tried numerous permutations of the dip switch settings (All OFF, 1-3 ON, 3 ON, 4 ON, 5 ON, 1-3-4 ON, 1-3-5 ON, 3-5 ON, etc), removing power from the module before changing the switches each time, but I still get a black screen.

Has anyone else encountered this (only getting a black screen)?

I'm working with the vendor as well, but so far recommendations (changing dip switch configuration) have not yielded any different results.
I was hoping someone here may have encountered this and would have some guidance.

Any suggestions / guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all.

Old 07-01-2024, 10:41 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dilbertprogrammer
Hi everyone. I have a 2015 Jaguar F-Type S coupe with the Bosch unit.

I ordered the autoabc Android Auto / Carplay module for my car.

After installing the module, when I long-press the NAV button to change to the autoabc module, all I get is a black screen.

Searching online I've seen where dip switch settings usually allows the module to work, and in one case, I saw where a module needed a firmware update.

I've tried numerous permutations of the dip switch settings (All OFF, 1-3 ON, 3 ON, 4 ON, 5 ON, 1-3-4 ON, 1-3-5 ON, 3-5 ON, etc), removing power from the module before changing the switches each time, but I still get a black screen.

Has anyone else encountered this (only getting a black screen)?

I'm working with the vendor as well, but so far recommendations (changing dip switch configuration) have not yielded any different results.
I was hoping someone here may have encountered this and would have some guidance.

Any suggestions / guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all.
I've heard you have to disable the screensaver in the stock headunit settings, but cannot confirm if that matters.

Old 07-01-2024, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlB
I've heard you have to disable the screensaver in the stock headunit settings, but cannot confirm if that matters.
The screensaver was already set to None. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 07-01-2024, 06:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I gave up trying to upgrade my head unit and just got this instead:

Amazon Amazon

for $60 it gives me the functionality i need.

Quick Reply: Android Auto kit .....