F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angle of Attack of Rear Wings

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 10:49 AM
Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Angle of Attack of Rear Wings

I searched but did not find. I'm looking for the degree of angle of the SVR rear wing in both retracted and deployed position. Would like the degree of angle of the factory fixed option as well if anyone has that.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:48 PM
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd be happy to measure my wing for you, but I guess I'd need a protractor tool to do that - I'll have to check the tool box at home to see if I've got one. One question comes to mind: the rear trunk lid is a declining angle - would you want to measure from the decling trunk lid as your "base" or from a level base to determine the degree of wing angle in both positions?

Old 02-28-2024, 03:13 PM

Actually just the angle of the wing itself with the car being level. Using a protractor or angle finder would be ideal. But a simple measurement of the 'drop' from the rearmost edge to the leading edge of the wing would allow me to extrapolate from there. Just need a level and ruler.

By way of explanation, my R has the articulating deck lid. I'm not a fan of it, it ruins the lines, but I do need a wing as I do track days and high speed runs. The SVR has 2 positions as we know, the deployed position reduces drag and lift. So I'm curious about the angle of it in both positions. Same with the fixed option, I presumed the factory tested it.

I'm looking at fabricating or modifying a replacement for my factory one (cutting the rod!). While you can just buy a fixed SVR knockoff, I have no idea if there was any thought put into it or its just for aesthetics.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderKitty
Actually just the angle of the wing itself with the car being level. Using a protractor or angle finder would be ideal. But a simple measurement of the 'drop' from the rearmost edge to the leading edge of the wing would allow me to extrapolate from there. Just need a level and ruler.

By way of explanation, my R has the articulating deck lid. I'm not a fan of it, it ruins the lines, but I do need a wing as I do track days and high speed runs. The SVR has 2 positions as we know, the deployed position reduces drag and lift. So I'm curious about the angle of it in both positions. Same with the fixed option, I presumed the factory tested it.

I'm looking at fabricating or modifying a replacement for my factory one (cutting the rod!). While you can just buy a fixed SVR knockoff, I have no idea if there was any thought put into it or its just for aesthetics.
As another variable, when you put the SVR into VMAX mode for high speed runs, it fixes the spoiler in the lower position. The use case for a track day would be the variable position, for speed runs, the lowered position.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:39 PM

Indeed, I'd love like to install a factory SVR articulated wing, but I'm guessing that would run into the thousands $$.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

If you have an iPhone it has a level function that you could use to measure the angle. Android phones might have this function too.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:33 PM

In the closed position, I measure -4 degrees using the iPhone app. In the open or “up” position, I measured +6 degrees. This first pic below is in closed position, the second picture is in the open position.
The wing has a slight upward lip at the rear of the wing and measures approximately 6 3/4” wide. Here’s some pics for reference:

The following users liked this post:
ThunderKitty (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:08 PM

Excellent!! Thanks so much!! (presume you mean it -4 down, then -6 up)

I'm supposing moving it rearward helps reduce drag, but the increased angle maintains the suppression of lift forces. This leads me to believe that a fixed version of this should be mounted more rearward and at 6 degrees of angle.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

The Jaguar Sport Design rear spoiler is fixed and comes with a module to trick the electronics into thinking the deployable one is still there and working.

As for "need" for various purposes, I'm not sure how the various options *really* affect aerodynamics. I'm not an aerodynamic engineer but may attempt to fake one in the face of clear misunderstanding :-)

I think the SVR "wing" in it's lowest position is acting as a spoiler because of the boundary layer. Even at its highest position I don't know that it's in clean enough air to act as a wing. I'm sure there are those that would claim otherwise, but if so, I'd like to see real data.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:59 PM

As would I. Most full on race cars have variable wings, and adjust them based on the track. If it's a track with lots of turns, shorter straights they increase the angle of attack for the down force. If it's a high speed track, they don't want the drag holding them back and will reduce the angle.

I don't want to put a huge adjustable wing on, the Jag is never going to be the best track car. But since I will be doing track days, autocross, half mile events, I need something for the back, but not too over the top to the point of detracting from the cars lines.

My thought was to get the knock off SVR wing and modify angle as needed. Hence my need for some actual measurements. Maybe I could even make it somewhat adjustable? Still planning, but there's a track day in April at Nelson Ledges, a ProSolo in April, the '24 season is coming up, I need to be ready!

Old 02-29-2024, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
As another variable, when you put the SVR into VMAX mode for high speed runs, it fixes the spoiler in the lower position..
I've always been curious about the VMAX mode -- how do you engage the VMAX mode on the SVR?

Old 02-29-2024, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillweed
I've always been curious about the VMAX mode -- how do you engage the VMAX mode on the SVR?

Old 03-07-2024, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

You can buy an aftermarket setup to convert flappy to SVR style. Eg

https://www.wraptorcustoms.com/produ...active-spoiler

Old 03-07-2024, 08:10 PM

I've seen that vid, nice mods. But $2300+ is too much IMO. I bought a fixed SVR and I'll set it up at the vmax position.