F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another Dead Battery

Been driving the car almost daily all week with no error messages. 30+ miles with some spirited driving everyday. Went for some errands today and no problems until after I parked at the 2nd place. Went in for ~15min, came out and everything turns on, engine won't start. Red battery error on dash.

Hooked up jumper cables to the posts under the hood for a couple minutes and tried again, nothing. Hooked up jumper cables directly to battery in the trunk and again, nothing.

Any suggestions? Car is in a safe place so left it there for today, planning on going back in the morning with some tools to take out the battery and take it to an autoparts store nearby. Or should I try to jump it again?

Old 05-14-2017, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Take it to the dealer. Sounds like an electrical problem or a bad battery, and they cover both under your warranty. Don't pay for a new battery. I had a similar problem with a bad battery and they offered to tow it for me.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Take it to the dealer. Sounds like an electrical problem or a bad battery, and they cover both under your warranty. Don't pay for a new battery. I had a similar problem with a bad battery and they offered to tow it for me.
+1. It's a bad battery, loose cable connection or fried battery management module.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Ugh. Fortunately for me, warranty is up sometime this month. I'll call first thing in the am and see what they say...
Hoping it's just the battery!

Old 05-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week Saturday, I had my check engine light come on. Took it to the dealer, and had them plug in their code reader. I was told that I had a bad O2 sensor, and the check engine light had been reset. Check engine light came back on while driving home. Scheduled an appointment to have the O2 sensor replaced this past Tuesday. While at work Dealer came to my home and picked up my car, only to find battery dead. After three hours of dealing with my wife and tow truck drive (I was 150 miles from home) my car made it to the dealer. Dealer changed O2 sensor and carbon canister hose with none of problems encountered by other people. I was told that battery recharged to 100% and I should have no more problems. Was it the scan tool that drained my battery?

Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bugeye1959
Last week Saturday, I had my check engine light come on. Took it to the dealer, and had them plug in their code reader. I was told that I had a bad O2 sensor, and the check engine light had been reset. Check engine light came back on while driving home. Scheduled an appointment to have the O2 sensor replaced this past Tuesday. While at work Dealer came to my home and picked up my car, only to find battery dead. After three hours of dealing with my wife and tow truck drive (I was 150 miles from home) my car made it to the dealer. Dealer changed O2 sensor and carbon canister hose with none of problems encountered by other people. I was told that battery recharged to 100% and I should have no more problems. Was it the scan tool that drained my battery?
Yes, it confused the battery control module.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my oil change in JLR dealership , after that , my battery totaly dead last yesterday .

just sent my car back to dealer this morning ! 

little chances u still got dead battery by using JLR obd2

100% dead battery with none original factory obd2

Last edited by always; 05-15-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by always
i had my oil change in JLR dealership , after that , my battery totaly dead last yesterday .

just sent my car back to dealer this morning ! 

little chances u still got dead battery by using JLR obd2

100% dead battery with none original factory obd2
How long was the car sitting when you discovered the dead battery.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 PM

There's something I didn't expect. The starter had died. Battery was just fine. No explanation what may have happened but they put in a new starter and I should be picking her up in the morning...

Old 05-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Ahhh...you had a visit from the Prince of Darkness.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ahhh...you had a visit from the Prince of Darkness.
Great. I lose warranty at the end of the month. If he makes anymore visits, I'm selling the car to CarMax!

Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

This happened to me two days ago. Car got towed yesterday but it will be worked on Tuesday. Car won't start it just shows low battery. Funny part is it keeps showing me low battery for the past three days. Then just died on the stop light.

Having it towed was a pain. Tried to figure out how to put it on Neutral mode. Hopefully it gets fixed on Tuesday.