F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another dumb question: Snow chains.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Another dumb question: Snow chains.

NO... I am not driving in snow with a RWD vehicle. However, I was told on a drive up to Oregon in a few days it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some chains "just in case" for a specific pass on the way up, knowing I'll return them unused when I get home. But that's had me up and worried since about 5a. LOL I'm no big risk taker, and I guess my sense of time and the world is just all messed up because of Covid, and as a non-winter having California boy, it didn't even register in the dome.

So, do you buy some chains "just in case" to return them, or do you not even put yourself in that potential situation? I'm 20" cyclone front: 255-35-20 Rear: 295-30-20

Looking at the weather forecast, it shouldn't have me running into snow *IN ANY WAY* if I'm driving 9am - 7p or so. That being said, I see absolutely zero discussion about chains in this forum and on the entire internet, because this thing is probably a 2 ton sled, at the end of the day. Hence almost zero talk about snow. I've been in it once, by surprise in June in Crater Lake. It didn't stick, and I doubt I even used snow/ice mode.

My immediate thought is all indications are you wouldn't even risk this car with a light dusting of non-sticky snow, right? I'd probably hit the "bad weather" point around 2p. But the route planner does say it's over 50F / 10C the whole drive: https://morecast.com/en/plan-your-route

This is the forecast: Thursday
Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of rain and snow in the afternoon. Snow level 4500 feet in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 40s to mid 50s. East winds around 5 mph shifting to the southwest in the afternoon.

SO... Any of your institutional knowledge from experience is welcome. But I've got to assume there's a reason that there's zilch online about it, so that was my red flag.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
NO... I am not driving in snow with a RWD vehicle. However, I was told on a drive up to Oregon in a few days it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some chains "just in case" for a specific pass on the way up, knowing I'll return them unused when I get home. But that's had me up and worried since about 5a. LOL I'm no big risk taker, and I guess my sense of time and the world is just all messed up because of Covid, and as a non-winter having California boy, it didn't even register in the dome.

So, do you buy some chains "just in case" to return them, or do you not even put yourself in that potential situation? I'm 20" cyclone front: 255-35-20 Rear: 295-30-20

Looking at the weather forecast, it shouldn't have me running into snow *IN ANY WAY* if I'm driving 9am - 7p or so. That being said, I see absolutely zero discussion about chains in this forum and on the entire internet, because this thing is probably a 2 ton sled, at the end of the day. Hence almost zero talk about snow. I've been in it once, by surprise in June in Crater Lake. It didn't stick, and I doubt I even used snow/ice mode.

My immediate thought is all indications are you wouldn't even risk this car with a light dusting of non-sticky snow, right? I'd probably hit the "bad weather" point around 2p. But the route planner does say it's over 50F / 10C the whole drive: https://morecast.com/en/plan-your-route

This is the forecast: Thursday
Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of rain and snow in the afternoon. Snow level 4500 feet in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 40s to mid 50s. East winds around 5 mph shifting to the southwest in the afternoon.

SO... Any of your institutional knowledge from experience is welcome. But I've got to assume there's a reason that there's zilch online about it, so that was my red flag.
I would not do it with your current set-up. But perhaps this info will help you decide how to approach it.

DC

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Do you have Winter or AS tires?
Either would be my first choice over chains.
Alternative is to rent a room if you find the going gets really bad.
Having once fitted (oem) snow chains to a BMW525 in the French Alps, I would never do it again.
You may not even have adequate clearance to fit them while lying on your back in the snow!!

Old 03-15-2022, 09:58 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

I never understood why people mess about with snow chains in this day and age, unless planning to drive in really deep snow. Consider getting a set of autosocks (or some knock off alternative) to be on the safe side. That's the easiest solution.

I use winter tyres during the winter, which makes a massive difference to start with and is a must here because the temperatures get too low for summer tyres. In addition to that I usually keep a set of autosocks in my cars during the winter months, mainly in case I would get caught off guard by bad snow or black ice. I actually only used them one single time like 10 years ago when it was impossible to get up an incline covered in black ice.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

I drove my '89 928S4 5 speed in the snow a couple of decades ago. Snow started falling on me in Ohio on a cross country trip and the decision to hit a hotel was obvious. Heck, I could barely see the road with the snow reflecting back my headlights and the car was just all over the place. I pulled off the freeway and to even leave a stop sign, I had to start in 2nd gear.

I assume the F-Type would fare a little better with its driving aids, but being a fellow California boy, I'd recommend taking a different car or planning the trip a different time.

Last edited by eeeeek; 03-15-2022 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-15-2022, 11:41 AM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The last time I checked, CA DOT requires that chains be carried over those passes. I've always had them, but never used them - even after my car was totally ice covered by the time I got to Weed. Not sure if the ones I bought would fit.

A better, and more fun option is to take the coastal route.

If you want to go whole hog, Jaguar sells a kit that is pretty much over the top. Here is a link to a set being sold up in Seattle that shows the whole setup.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/w...457827097.html

Old 03-15-2022, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

I was thinking of that aspect... unfamiliar chains, unfamiliar area, not knowing clearance, etc. It's going to be mid-50s, so it's all hypothetical, but I've had surprises. If that were to happen, a nixon era motel it is! I'll probably make a little list of locations to be forearmed, too. Surprising the cost of gas for the trip is still less than a round trip ticket, and I'll have the car in wine country. =)

Thanks all. That Jag system is wild, and I do think the snow socks are awesome, but of course it's only for the rears... just got to figure out the right one as a backup. I assume socks are okay for chains where required in CA?
You've been helpful, so I looked it up and autosocks are legit in CA for chains: https://autosock.us/california/#:~:t...will%20suffice.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:29 PM

Cool, good to hear that autosocks are legit in CA too. They are an approved chain substitute in the Alps over here in Europe and they're definitely good stuff. Super easy to bring along and super easy to slip on if needed.

Uncle Fishbits (03-17-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

I realize it's not an F Type. I drive my RWD Jag XF V8 SC year round in the north east USA. Over the last 10 years I've driven very regularly in snow, and many times in heavy snow and storms.
I never considered chains. I have winter tires which are essential. Use the snow mode. And it goes ok. Never got stuck (yet).

Yes I'm sure going up a steep unploughed hill may be a challenge. But for normal driving it's workable
You have to learn to adapt driving style. Use the momentum to keep moving, steer carefully, particularly changing lanes on highway at speed. Back end can be a bit skittish. But at the end of the day it still brakes with all 4 wheels just like any other car

Uncle Fishbits (03-17-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

I had an XJ6 back in 1980's.
The back end slid around in the snow but it was so predictable it was not a problem.
It actually handled snow a whole lot better than the corporate Volvo I got after the Jag.
OTOH, I would not consider putting chains on those expensive wheels - if must, the socks look much more forgiving..

Last edited by CJSJAG; 03-15-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the commentary, all.

Problem solved! Have a dealer so incompetent, they can't do normal maintenance and hunt down a bug in less than 2 weeks, like normal. I'm done with this dealer. They've told me to pick up my finished car multiple times, just to find another unfinished aspect or non-diagnosed thing... couldn't chase down the check engine issue, didn't realize some plastic parts needed replacing after servicing, didn't see that the right front tire was balding, didn't realize a bolt is problematic in lowering the transmission for service.... all this bad comms between the garage and service reps. It's bonkers how broken it is. So off to a new dealer when I finally get it back... and I'll drive later in spring or summer.

Flight for me, now. Thanks dealer.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 423 Posts

Seems like you could make really good use of those chains about now.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:45 AM
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I am planning to buy Michelin Easy Grip Evolution "chains" for all 4 wheels on RWD F-type. Cannot imagine how these would harm the car and I recommend checking them out, they seems to be fantastic.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by J444G
I am planning to buy Michelin Easy Grip Evolution "chains" for all 4 wheels on RWD F-type. Cannot imagine how these would harm the car and I recommend checking them out, they seems to be fantastic.
I wonder why Jag would be so insistent that they can only be fitted to rear wheels and not on the standard wheel and tyre assemblies then? Seems odd to totally ignore that when they have nothing to gain from making it up...

Old 03-23-2022, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
I wonder why Jag would be so insistent that they can only be fitted to rear wheels and not on the standard wheel and tyre assemblies then? Seems odd to totally ignore that when they have nothing to gain from making it up...
This is a very polite way to posit that the front tires covered in something that has no positive traction would become a dangerous liability.
I am pretty non-technical, and I was mulling over why it seems *everywhere* they suggest chains or alternatives to only be fitted to the wheels that have power.
One would assume that it makes it so you have even less control in where to point the car with lack of traction, coupled with a newfound lack of spin?
It's like a sled where you put the steering on the back and hope for the best on the front!

Old 03-23-2022, 09:27 AM
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I have no idea, really. But the "chains" I mentioned are very lightweight and very compact, nothing like classic metal chains, which are quite brutal.
Of course you want to have chains on all wheels, ideally.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:30 AM
Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

After years of driving on flat/hilly snow-covered roads & highways all along the US west coast, in all types of vehicles (RWD, FWD, AWD, 4WD), and various snow depths (...FYI two feet of snow on the ground can actually 'float' a moving 4WD truck if you're not careful...), I can confidently say that putting chains on any non-powered wheel is a waste of time and money.

I haven't tried studded tires, which will usually pass most chain-up requirements. But due to the wear and tear on roadways, you'll get a fine when driving with studs anywhere if past the time limit (usually March 31).

Snow socks sound intriguing, Two things, though... 1) even with 'official' OK, it's pretty much up to the person reviewing vehicles at highway chain requirement locations to make the decision. If he/she doesn't like you, you're SOL. Deal with it. 2) Longevity. They won't last as long as chains, but they'll probably get you through a trip or two.

The biggest problem with driving in snow is typically other drivers - the ones that really don't know what they're doing and the ones that feel they need to prove something. If you are one of those, do us all a favor and stay home.

Lastly, the main reason for chain requirements on interstates is traffic control... the highway patrol doesn't really want to have to haul your *** off the road if/when you're blocking traffic! That said, where chains are required, there are usually tow trucks constantly patrolling. You shouldn't have to wait too long before you're found and moved - providing you haven't driven off a steep embankment. But, you won't get a choice of tilt-bed vs. hoist type.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTom
In addition to that I usually keep a set of autosocks in my cars during the winter months, mainly in case I would get caught off guard by bad snow or black ice. I actually only used them one single time like 10 years ago when it was impossible to get up an incline covered in black ice.
I realize I'm responding to an old post by you... but wondering... how difficult was it to get the Autosocks onto the rear tires?

Old 01-09-2024, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by OlyFtype
I realize I'm responding to an old post by you... but wondering... how difficult was it to get the Autosocks onto the rear tires?
I never used them on the F-Type but the principle is the same on all cars - slip it on, move the car a foot or so to expose the part of the tire that was against the ground and slip the rest of the sock on. I'm sure there are many youtube videos showing it but from memory it was really easy and nowhere near the nightmare fitting chains seems to be.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:31 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Seems like this might have been the perfect occasion to rent a car for a few days. As a matter of pure speculation, renting a vehicle to take on a road trip is often the best way to go. Why put the miles on your own car if you're not going somewhere interesting? It's also a great reason to have a commuter car if you live in a metro area and must deal with traffic [I am sure you'll be able to steal a used EV soon]. I knew people who had Civic's/Corolla's [or whatever] for such purposes.

Of course, the economy is complete mess now and used car prices are absurd, so maybe that's not a practical strategy anymore, but these things work themselves out one way or the other [price regression to the mean].

Quick Reply: Another dumb question: Snow chains.