F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER oil overfill thread .....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 07:31 PM
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry ANOTHER oil overfill thread .....

Yes, I have searched the forum and have discovered numerous threads regarding the dealer overfilling the oil --- it happened to me, too. My story really isn't any different than many others that this has happened to, but I'm curious to know about the possible ramifications of overfilling by 2.25 L? A few details:

I bought my 2018 F Type R 1 month ago as a CPO from a Jaguar dealership. All services (including oil change) were performed on the car. As I'm learning more and more about the car, I decide to check and see if the engine is consuming any oil with use. I've driven the car almost 800 miles at this point - most of it stop and go city traffic, but I have put my foot down occasionally in Dynamic Mode and pushed the RPM's up a bit. I finally checked the oil level and discovered it was overfilled, so I grabbed the MightyVac and sucked out 2.25 L of overfilled oil . 2.25L seems pretty significant to me (isn't that about 33% more than it should have?) to overfill one of these motors with and I'm wondering what kind of stresses I may have put the motor through from this event?

So far, everything seems to be running fine and I'm hoping that everything IS fine ..... but is there anything I should inspect or be looking out for after this experience? Thankfully, there are/were no overheating issues.
TIA .... and thank you to all that share their knowledge with new Jaguar owners like myself.

Last edited by Dillweed; 01-27-2023 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

2.25 litres overfilled should not have caused any problems, I believe it would need to overfilled by some 5 litres at least to cause any problems.
That said 2.25 litres overfilled is still a gross overfill, seeing as the usual in these cases is around .75 litres overfill (AWD 6.5 litres vs RWD 7.25 litres).
Either someone at the dealership got it very wrong OR you sucked out too much.
Even if your dash oil level read-out is now saying "OK" I would not trust it, it has been known for the oil level sensor to give a false reading.
Your best bet now is to completely drain the oil (make sure your MityVac is nice and clean because you will want to reuse that oil) and see how much comes out, and regardless of how much this is put 6.5 litres back in.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:39 AM
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the good news ..... and it looks like I've got a project for myself tomorrow

Old 01-28-2023, 05:00 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

The MityVac can’t get all the oil out, so after getting out all you can, start by adding 1 liter less than the quoted amount, and check the level.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Having read of this issue on this forum, I checked my fill level immediately after my recent annual service before leaving the dealer.
The car was on level ground but definitely showed "over filled".
I requested the tech. double check the fill level.
Ten minutes after showing overfull, it reverted to normal with no oil extracted.
It subsequently continues as normal.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every single oil change at a dealer including when I warn them has been overfilled. I force them to provide me a picture that electronic gauge shows good and not overfilled before I will come and pay.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RobMar
Every single oil change at a dealer including when I warn them has been overfilled. I force them to provide me a picture that electronic gauge shows good and not overfilled before I will come and pay.
I am amazed that this (over-filling the oil) is still possible after all these years and countless reports.
Surely by now JLR would have sent out an "all points bulletin" to all dealerships to be very careful and double-check the fill level on all vehicles with the AJ126 and AJ133 with either RWD or AWD???? Apparently not.
My theory is this:
The oil change task is delegated to the most junior "tech" at the dealership.
The oil fill volume is programmed into the oil pump machine as "Jag AJ126 V6 and AJ133 V8 = 7.25 litres" with no allowance for AWD vs RWD.
The junior tech may be vaguely aware that the AWD takes only 6.5 litres, but if the machine says 7.25 litres (ie "computer says no") then who are they to argue?
They don't bother to wait 10 minutes and check the oil level read-out, that takes too long and there are other customers/cars waiting, so out it goes.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:34 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Dealers just rush through the process. My oil change process is to get the car up to operating temperature. Let it cool for the required 10-15 minutes and then check oil level digitally. At that point, I use my Mityvac to extract the oil out, typically resulting in around 7 quarter of oil (never the full quantity). I refill 1/2 quart less than what was removed, seeing as operating temp oil is thinner than new and once again start up car to operating temperature and check again. Under most circumstances I am able to put in the remaining 1/2 quart (some cases it has been a bit more) and I have never had an issue with it being overfilled.

Seeing I change the oil 2 times per year, regardless of mileage or driving habits, around 3 months I do a oil level check, but never have had an issue with oil burning/losing oil in the more than 3 years of ownerships. I now also only use Liqui Moly Top Tec 6600 series oil specifically (which includes the additional timing wear protection) and I have also added a few oil changes ago a bottle of their Cera-Tec. Probably not needed as they make a great oil and I change it frequently enough, but it was given to me to try, so didn't see what the harm was, even if it added the slightest bit of protection.

One other thing I have started to do most recently is run the LM Engine Flush on every other oil change as well. Again, may not be needed, but good practice to keep the internals safe. Based on my Blackstone Lab reports I do after each oil change (definitely worth the $40) I could run my oil a LOT longer if I choose to, but for the very small price and time investment to have this level peace of mind, it is what I will stick with.

With that said, stay clear of the dealerships. I let them do the oil changes while I was in warranty and even then swapped out the oil at the 6 month mark. Just to have the service records up to date in case anything ever happened. Now out of warranty, I would not take it to the dealer and find a good independent shop for bigger issues, but the maintenance stuff do yourself if you can.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:48 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I have mentioned this before but last time I had my F Type in to the dealer for the free oil change they overfilled it. I had them remove an unknown amount before I drove away.
But, the Overfilled warning on the electronic gauge continued to show as overfilled. I used my Mityvac to suck out as much as possible and the graduations on the side indicated that it removed about 6.5 quarts. OK, that sounds about right as some oil remained in the filter so I pumped it back in.

I understand that the electronic oil level gauge reads an average. But you can switch back and forth to a "live" reading as well by opening the hood, going into the display menu, and pressing the cruise control cancel button twice rapidly. (To switch back to the average reading, turn on the ignition, press and hold the cruise control cancel button for more than 5 seconds, turn off the ignition and then turn it back on)

But reading either average or live I started getting odd results. When I first checked the display it flashed the Overfilled warning but within a second or two I could see the level drop a few clicks to just above the center reading. So I figured it was good. Eventually that stopped happening and it now just reads above the center mark. I guess it took a few readings before the Overfilled warning reset itself.

When I take it in for the next service I am going to insist that the technician pays attention to what he is doing. I had drained the factory fill oil myself as well as installing a new filter at around 1250 miles and refilled it using 6. quarts, 28 oz. using a graduated measuring container and never experienced the Overfilled warning.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Dwight: Your experience sounds similar to mine (see previous).
the other thing I noticed was that it took longer than usual for the oil level to be displayed after the new fill.
Then, as previous, it showed "over fill" and subsequently showing normal when I had the tech recheck.
My unscientific conclusion is that the oil level sensor takes a little time to reset after being brutally sucked dry and refilled!!
But, I shall still check each time the oil is changed!!

Last edited by CJSJAG; 02-01-2023 at 09:00 AM. Reason: more info
The following users liked this post:
Dwight Frye (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:28 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd like to add a +1 to what OzXFR posted.

After getting the dreaded 'Overfill' reading, I took the car back to the dealer that did the first annual warranty maintenance. It was a real PITA, as it's a one hour drive plus ferry ride each way to get to the dealer. When done, I asked the tech just how much it was over. He told me that it was about 3/4 quart... which is almost exactly the difference between RWD and my AWD.

For the future, I plan on mentioning this each time I have to do the obligatory warranty service.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Think I will just stick a bit of blue masking tape with correct fill volume on engine cover when it goes for service,
I always leave a label indicating "DO NOT WASH".

Old 02-02-2023, 04:16 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil overfill issues

Lemme get this straight. You buy an 18 R CPO F-Type, get an overfilled reading and then remove some oil with a gadget called a “mighty vac.” I had a similar oil overfill issue twice, first with a CPO ‘18 R convertible and second with a CPO ‘ 21 R Coupe, my current ride. Both selling dealers were geographically distant from me when issue first noticed. Each time I found a competent JLR dealer to confirm the issue, paid around 250 for an oil change with the overfill issue being noted on the invoice, contacted the selling dealer and obtained full reimbursement for the remedial oil change. Didn’t experience any engine issue due to the overfill, but if I had it would have been important to document what occurred, especially the acknowledgment by the selling dealer of the problem by virtue of the reimbursement. So I wouldn’t recommend taking the DIY route for fear of jeopardizing my warranty coverage. Moreover, why should you be inconveniencing yourself when the dealer caused the problem and should be held accountable?

Old 02-02-2023, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thing is Ken it takes 5 minutes to remove the excess oil with an extraction/vacuum pump such as a Mityvac vs probably hours of a trip to a dealership and back plus waiting around for them to fix the problem, so IMHO a very small inconvenience vs a rather large inconvenience.
Also there are at least two other good reasons to get a pump and use it - DIY oil changes between the scheduled/warranty changes as the scheduled interval is way too long for these engines, and if you intend to keep the car long term the warranty is going to expire sooner or later anyway so it is then a no-brainer to DIY the oil changes.

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-02-2023 at 05:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Dwight Frye (02-02-2023), jcb-memphis (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 05:15 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Well my local dealer who rectified the issue last time is about 10 mi away, always gives me a loaner and has a free latte machine if I prefer to sit around, so none of this is an issue for me. I’d also rather not jeopardize my warranty if the overfill caused any engine damage. You need to have a paper trail.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KenFtype
Well my local dealer who rectified the issue last time is about 10 mi away, always gives me a loaner and has a free latte machine if I prefer to sit around, so none of this is an issue for me. I’d also rather not jeopardize my warranty if the overfill caused any engine damage. You need to have a paper trail.
Fair 'nuf, not an issue for you, but it can be for others.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

You guys are lucky guess it's with all that oil you have in Texas, over here we're lucky if it gets filled to the minimum mark

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 07:37 AM
Received 256 Likes on 130 Posts

When I first got the car the dealer overfilled it. I drove back and asked them to dump the oil and refill it fully...they just sucked out a liter and said have a nice day.... and that "it happens all the time." Haven't gone back to them since. 50mi one way to them. Was naive to the whole thing back then and since I found this forum have figured it all out.

One can do the oil change not counting waiting for the oil to settle and warming the car up in 10 minutes max (filter too). Total cost is 6.5L of good oil and a filter. Super easy. due to the little metal tube in the fill area. The car was designed to have oil changes via suction. If you are really retentive you can add a L of "wash it out" oil after you remove the oil and then remove that again, to sort of rinse things out a little bit. I have not done that but read about it being done by a guru here and may just adopt that method (maybe half a liter as I have that left every time anyway at the end...).

Bought the mighty vac online and two translucent fill bottles of about 8L each (so I can see if there is oil, how much, roughly). Haven't looked back since...changing oil every 3-4months or 3000 miles (way more often than per the manual): better for the timing chain, engine, etc. The local parts store recycles it. No issues. I just walk in and go to the oil repository tank and dump it in. Have done this 3 times now - saving 100 to 200 dollars each time depending on which local dealer is used....and it saves a lot of time. Single best thing this forum has taught me.

So to all of you who have contributed to these threads, thank you. They help a lot.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillweed
Thanks for the good news ..... and it looks like I've got a project for myself tomorrow
I just changed my oil again yesterday. I've changed it 6 times since I bought it back in april 2018 averaging 3K miles a change once a year. My extractor holds 7 Liters, I extracted 7 liters and it still had oil, so I emptied it and pulled another 1.5 liters out. I obviously wasnt paying attention on previous changes.

Last edited by red92; 02-03-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I have mentioned this before but last time I had my F Type in to the dealer for the free oil change they overfilled it. I had them remove an unknown amount before I drove away.
But, the Overfilled warning on the electronic gauge continued to show as overfilled. I used my Mityvac to suck out as much as possible and the graduations on the side indicated that it removed about 6.5 quarts. OK, that sounds about right as some oil remained in the filter so I pumped it back in.

I understand that the electronic oil level gauge reads an average. But you can switch back and forth to a "live" reading as well by opening the hood, going into the display menu, and pressing the cruise control cancel button twice rapidly. (To switch back to the average reading, turn on the ignition, press and hold the cruise control cancel button for more than 5 seconds, turn off the ignition and then turn it back on)

But reading either average or live I started getting odd results. When I first checked the display it flashed the Overfilled warning but within a second or two I could see the level drop a few clicks to just above the center reading. So I figured it was good. Eventually that stopped happening and it now just reads above the center mark. I guess it took a few readings before the Overfilled warning reset itself.

When I take it in for the next service I am going to insist that the technician pays attention to what he is doing. I had drained the factory fill oil myself as well as installing a new filter at around 1250 miles and refilled it using 6. quarts, 28 oz. using a graduated measuring container and never experienced the Overfilled warning.
thanks for this info. ill try this today, I dont think my 2015 has this ability. I never got an overfill warning but i was seriously overfilled for a year. I'll check the level again

Quick Reply: ANOTHER oil overfill thread .....