Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another question about the great Battery drain-off

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The dealer may have accessed the OBDII port and not properly exited ...
So my 2016 had the battery drain issue with a Waylens dashcam OBD thing...

I'm about to hit the road for 2500 miles, and was wondering if the OBD issue had been fixed. It obviously has not... but my car is a 2019. Any chance something has changed on newer models, or have we had a 2019 or 2020 tested?

But your comment is interesting... am I to read that the solution is to unplug the OBD from the port prior to turning off the car, and you won't have that hazard/drain issue?

Old 06-16-2021, 04:59 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
... am I to read that the solution is to unplug the OBD from the port prior to turning off the car, and you won't have that hazard/drain issue?
Maybe someone who's suffered after a smog test can say when the car was switched off - before or after the disconnect?

Old 06-26-2021, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Maybe someone who's suffered after a smog test can say when the car was switched off - before or after the disconnect?
Just had the smog check done yesterday. Car was never turned off during the process and I forgot to do the reboot when I put the car away. No juice this morning. Had to hook up my pocket (lithium) battery to the front posts to open the boot lid and hit the reset button on the Lithium battery to get rolling again. Boot lid, auto-up windows and display preferences all had to be reprogrammed.

The following users liked this post:
scm (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 983 Likes on 734 Posts

I got a CEL two days ago. I pulled the code (heater circuit on bank 1, sensor 3) and deliberately looked for some way to shut down the session properly. I was using Torque (on Android) and an OBDLink MX). The system did not shut down. I then tried to use the VAP handheld tuning device to scan. It did not find the code, and while it has never caused the failure to shut down, using it did not reset the condition.

I maintain my contention that this is a software defect, and that the condition is unrecoverable without a hard reset (power disconnect). I expect it will never be fixed, since there don't seem to be many updates coming down the pike for cars my age (5+ years).

Old 06-28-2021, 11:23 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Interesting observation on my last go-round with this scenario...brought on by my own use of a scanner.

I was in the dead zone within a few days...I think it was three days of sitting without being started. And by dead, I mean that the center instrument panel stuff was not even showing the logo or other information. I did not disconnect the ground before or after hooking a trickle charger to the under-hood charging points.

When I came back to the F-Type after a few days of driving other vehicles due to some horrific weather in the area, everything seemed normal but I was expecting the low-battery messages to return. Surprisingly, they have not, even after letting the F-Type sit undriven for a period of four or five days at a time. She doesn't even seem to be spiting me for adding the new toy into the mix (the Spider).

Given this is a sample size of one, I don't know if I just got fortunate or whether there is a discharge point beyond the usual point most have discussed on these boards where the system effectively does the same thing as the 30-second disconnect of the ground.

I don't recall if I had to reset the time/date but I definitely recall that it saved the XM presets...

Old 06-29-2021, 06:21 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default VAP Tune OBD

Originally Posted by BritCars
The dealer system should shut down the session properly and not cause the issue. They have never triggered it on mine. But my own code reader and the state inspection computer both cause the issue. Unfortunately it's not anything you can do to shut it down properly. Some devices do and some don't
My advice - any time something is plugged into OBD, disconnect a battery terminal for 20s. It's quick and easy to do and will save you a lot of hassle (as I can attest to!)
Here's one! When I connect my VAP Powergate to OBD and swap tunes.....would this constitute a necessity to "reboot"? FYI, I do maintain a charger during the process.

Thanks in advance, Sparkman

Old 06-29-2021, 11:11 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky H
Here's one! When I connect my VAP Powergate to OBD and swap tunes.....would this constitute a necessity to "reboot"?
Does the hazard switch light stay on after about 10 minutes when you shut the car off? If it does, yes, reboot needed. I don't think a battery maintainer has enough oomph to defeat a drain, although it should slow it down a bit.

Sparky H (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks scm. Never any probs. here, just checking. Stuart is sending out my Lower Pulley, Belt and Stage II Tune now. SHOUT OUT TO THE GOOD FOLKS AT VELOCITY AP!

Old 01-28-2022, 07:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hallelujah my Greenville SC Jaguar dealer, Josh/Rafael, after becoming acquainted with my 2016 F-Type R battery drain problem have fully cured the parasitic battery drain by installing 4 updates to the vehicles RFA, GWM, IPC & BCM modules. They could not tell for sure which one solved the battery drain problem but guessed it was the software update to the IPC, [instrument panel ?]. Jaguar does not publish to the dealers what their software update were designed to do unlike what our phone app suppliers do. They also don't pay the dealer for doing software updates under these circumstances.
If you have read my earlier pains and posts, I had a persistent, seemingly unstoppable 2.5 amp battery drain after shut down which was only initiated by plugging in and removing either my BlueDriver OBDII reader or my Allstate Milewise dongles. So Jaguar has a software update which will cure this OBD initiated parasitic battery drain problem on the F-Type.

Thank you ScubaAddict for keeping us focused on this issue and likely for getting Jaguar to address the problem....
and to many others like the TheRock who have helped with interim solutions like a quick and easy battery negative disconnect and AntiGravity Battery replacement. I don't regret installing these two enhancements along the way. AMEN"
Steve Chase, 864-903-5493

Uncle Fishbits (02-03-2022)
Old 11-27-2023, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, This problem is so true. Had my car inspected by the state last year. Battery died within days. Could not get it jump started. Swapped the battery and it triggered all sorts of codes. Drove it to a local European car service station(not dealer) By day two of them having my car the new battery was dead. They left a charge pack on too long and caused a fire in the trunk of my car about 6 months later. So here I am the next year, after new trunk new harness etc...take car to state inspection agency and two days later car battery is dead again. Do you know what updates need to be applied? I just called jaguar for home service.