F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-freeze smell after driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anti-freeze smell after driving

Didn't find anything with a search, I smell this in my garage as soon as I pull in and park. Never see a drip on the floor and can't find an obvious leak. I've never added any but the car has been to the dealer several times and I don't know if they have.

Anyone experiencing this??

Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I recall in my XFR days this could indicate a weeping gasket/failure around the water pump area. You might want to start there....

Old 02-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Is the expansion tank cap knackered and venting when you leave it?

Old 02-27-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I noticed an occasional antifreeze smell through the vents in my car several months ago. I kept looking for leaks but found nothing. Last month, I got a low coolant warning on the dash. I noticed the coolant tank was right at the minimum mark. I added water and took it to the dealer. The water pump had developed a small leak and was replaced. No problem since.

I would suggest having your dealer check out the water pump.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I recall there may have been some issue with water pumps leaking...or possibly durability of the coolant pump for the SC....

Let us know how you get on.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just left my F-type with the dealer to investigate the coolant smell. They said they pressure tested the system and tested for the presence of coolant in the exhaust, and found nothing amiss.... Warranty expires next month and it's a 100 mile round trip to the dealer. I've owned cars/motorcycles for 55+ years and I know if you smell coolant with the engine hot it's because something is leaking. At least it's on record as a problem.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Update: No issues or coolant smell with my car since the water pump was replaced.

A tip for anyone having coolant work done on their car: The coolant is pushed into the engine via vacuum. I drove my car home from the dealership without any issue after the new water pump was installed. The next day, I parked in my garage after a drive and the engine sounded like a pot of water was boiling on top of the supercharger. This concerned me and I took some video to show the dealer. They told me that it is possible air got trapped when adding the coolant after the water pump installation. The drive to the dealer must have solved the problem because no noise could be detected, even with a stethoscope, and no problem since.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Philipintexas
Didn't find anything with a search, I smell this in my garage as soon as I pull in and park. Never see a drip on the floor and can't find an obvious leak. I've never added any but the car has been to the dealer several times and I don't know if they have.

Anyone experiencing this??
When I had my XKR the water pump develop a slow seep and I could smell antifreeze... the master mechanic at my dealer said he had seen a few of these and they replaced the pump; all good.
A very slow leak and it was not easy to see ... make sure you keep a copy of the work order for future.
Lawrence

Old 05-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Philipintexas
"...I've owned cars/motorcycles for 55+ years and I know if you smell coolant with the engine hot it's because something is leaking. At least it's on record as a problem."
Agree. The characteristic sweet smell of coolant is unmistakeable. Smell it and there's leakage somewhere--whether by design (overflow venting) or more commonly a failure or imminent failure (hose, water pump, radiator, etc.) of some sort. Good you made it a matter of record.