Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antilaser priority laser jammer head placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bwc
+1
Will do. I dropped the car off today and they are tearing it apart to see what's possible. They haven't done audio on an F-Type before which would normally scare me, but they do pretty much all the Ferraris, Lambos, McLaren's, etc. in town and are known for good service (and high prices...) so I feel pretty safe.

Hopefully tomorrow they'll have a detailed plan for me and I can report back on placement of everything.

Oh... and of course on the way home from the shop in my old car (that they just pulled the system out of) I get rear ended by a lady on her cell phone. I'm just happy I wasn't in my F-Type!

Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws

Oh... and of course on the way home from the shop in my old car (that they just pulled the system out of) I get rear ended by a lady on her cell phone. I'm just happy I wasn't in my F-Type!
Wow!

Seriously. I'm looking forward to hearing more...I'm just two hours from your shop if you like it

Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lookout!
Wow!

Seriously. I'm looking forward to hearing more...I'm just two hours from your shop if you like it
Very cool! If you end up going with them we should grab a drink or something while you are in town.

Just got off the phone with them. They said they had a ton of fun tearing the car apart and this is going to be an interesting job but they like a challenge. The guys are brainstorming and will have a proposal for me sometime tomorrow. In the mean time, they sent me a few pics of the disassembly. It's both neat and terrifying.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:35 PM

Just got off the phone with them. They said they had a ton of fun tearing the car apart and this is going to be an interesting job but they like a challenge.
Well, I never want to be an "interesting case" to a pathologist...but I'm ok on a car project.

If I head that way I'll let you know!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Looking forward to seeing where you place yours. Mine is going in to the shop in a week for ALPs.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Are you installing a simple jammer or an entire Home theater system? I can't imagine you have to rip out the entire interior just to run a couple wires for the jamming units.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Are you installing a simple jammer or an entire Home theater system? I can't imagine you have to rip out the entire interior just to run a couple wires for the jamming units.
Haha yeah, I probably should start a thread detailing all the plans for the audio system. I'll do that tomorrow and post here specifically about the AL Priority stuff. It's going in at the same time.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:46 AM

By my initial discussions, the question is "where to place the cockpit controls" (warning indicator and switches) so that it's aesthetic and stealth for the interior inspection by LEO.

My top pick so far is right above the rear view mirror with some fabricated housing to make it look natural.

But I may be misunderstanding your comment...if so, I apologize.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lookout!
But I may be misunderstanding your comment...if so, I apologize.
No, my apologies! I was referring to LobsterClaws' photos.

Haha yeah, .......
You had me worried!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I am pretty sure that the placement and orientation of the heads has to be mindful of the phase relationship between lidar waves themselves. So, it is very important to follow the recommended mounting dimensions and orientation.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:33 PM
bwc
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I am similarly interested in the question "where to place the cockpit controls" (warning indicator and switches) so that it's aesthetically pleasing

Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Seems to be a lot of concern expressed in this thread over the aesthetics and placement of a radar/laser detection system. I would be curious if anybody has any first hand experience with the Stinger VIP. Based on the extensive research I've done on these systems, the Stinger VIP seems to be a strong contender, and definitely worth considering for those concerned about aesthetics.

A newcomer to the market that has quickly blown away the competition. While this system will set you back a stiff $3-$5000 depending on options and coverage (front only or front and rear), you get what you pay for!!! Stinger VIP offers a fully integrated Radar Detection / Laser Jammer system, with the smallest jammer heads available, even smaller still if you upgrade to the fiber-optic transmitters, and the cockpit controls are an attractive LCD Touchscreen Display the size of a credit card. see below...

Laser Jammer Heads (5/8" x 5/8" x 2"):

The Stinger VIP received numerous #1 rankings in 2015, by some of the most prominent rating services for radar/laser detection devices. Here are just a few of those reviews, including lots of hard data:The Stinger is being developed by individuals with many years of experience working and developing for other providers in the market. They seem to be doing an excellent job of taking the very best features from every other device, and incorporating them all into one sleek integrated system.

While I haven't pulled the trigger yet, the most attractive part of the Singer VIP for me is the display. I would not think of mucking up the beauty of the F-Type by suction-cupping some device to the windshield or dangling it from the rear-view mirror. While still undecided on location, I am leaning toward having the display mounted in the headliner hump, directly behind the dome light, in front of the pano roof opening... easy to see when needed, easy to access when needed, and no screen reflection or glare from this location.

If the sleek and sophisticated look of the cockpit controls are not enough to impress you, the options for hiding all the remote sensors, especially the miniscule 1/8" Fiber HD should... Add to that the top rated, best performing warning system available on the market today, jam-packed with all the controls and features you could want, and this system is hard to beat.

Last edited by IronMike; 01-05-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Seems to be a lot of concern expressed in this thread over the aesthetics and placement of a radar/laser detection system. I would be curious if anybody has any first hand experience with the Stinger VIP. Based on the extensive research I've done on these systems, the Stinger VIP seems to be a strong contender, and definitely worth considering for those concerned about aesthetics.

A newcomer to the market that has quickly blown away the competition. While this system will set you back a stiff $3-$5000 depending on options and coverage (front only or front and rear), you get what you pay for!!! Stinger VIP offers a fully integrated Radar Detection / Laser Jammer system, with the smallest jammer heads available, even smaller still if you upgrade to the fiber-optic transmitters, and the cockpit controls are an attractive LCD Touchscreen Display the size of a credit card. see below...

Laser Jammer Heads (5/8" x 5/8" x 2"):

The Stinger VIP received numerous #1 rankings in 2015, by some of the most prominent rating services for radar/laser detection devices. Here are just a few of those reviews, including lots of hard data:The Stinger is being developed by individuals with many years of experience working and developing for other providers in the market. They seem to be doing an excellent job of taking the very best features from every other device, and incorporating them all into one sleek integrated system.

While I haven't pulled the trigger yet, the most attractive part of the Singer VIP for me is the display. I would not think of mucking up the beauty of the F-Type by suction-cupping some device to the windshield or dangling it from the rear-view mirror. While still undecided on location, I am leaning toward having the display mounted in the headliner hump, directly behind the dome light, in front of the pano roof opening... easy to see when needed, easy to access when needed, and no screen reflection or glare from this location.

If the sleek and sophisticated look of the cockpit controls are not enough to impress you, the options for hiding all the remote sensors, especially the miniscule 1/8" Fiber HD should... Add to that the top rated, best performing warning system available on the market today, jam-packed with all the controls and features you could want, and this system is hard to beat.

Stinger looks interesting, but where would you put that display? I couldn't think of one decent spot to put it and not have it look totally out of place. ALP is just an LED which can be mounted anywhere, or if you purchase the Bluetooth adapter you could have the alerts go to your phone (no secondary display needed)

Old 01-06-2016, 01:13 PM

Just got back from the installer. They found great places to mount both the heads and the interior pieces. We are doing 5 heads, 3 on the front just under that black bar and 2 on the back just under rear latch, spaced out appropriately of course.

For the indicator on the radar detector they are going to disassemble the rear view mirror and see if it can be displayed thru there. If not, there is another small display which indicates passenger airbag status (I'd never even noticed it before) which can be used.

The control unit for the ALP will be tucked out of sight since it only needs to be accessed when performing updates or changing settings.

The ALP and STI-R will both be connected to a switch to kill the power on them, which will be tucked where the carpet starts to meet the other material on the driver's side near where the driver's legs go. Reachable, but nicely out of sight.

We're also doing some badass audio stuff, but I'll take that to another thread.

The following users liked this post:
Lookout! (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 01:22 PM
bwc
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got back from the installer. They found great places to mount both the heads and the interior pieces. We are doing 5 heads, 3 on the front just under that black bar and 2 on the back just under rear latch, spaced out appropriately of course.

For the indicator on the radar detector they are going to disassemble the rear view mirror and see if it can be displayed thru there. If not, there is another small display which indicates passenger airbag status (I'd never even noticed it before) which can be used.

The control unit for the ALP will be tucked out of sight since it only needs to be accessed when performing updates or changing settings.

The ALP and STI-R will both be connected to a switch to kill the power on them, which will be tucked where the carpet starts to meet the other material on the driver's side near where the driver's legs go. Reachable, but nicely out of sight.

We're also doing some badass audio stuff, but I'll take that to another thread.

Please please post photos of all of this once done!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
Stinger looks interesting, but where would you put that display? I couldn't think of one decent spot to put it and not have it look totally out of place. ALP is just an LED which can be mounted anywhere, or if you purchase the Bluetooth adapter you could have the alerts go to your phone (no secondary display needed)
I believe you overlooked the part where, in the penultimate paragraph, I indicated my preferred mounting location. I've also eyed 3 or 4 alternate locations that are very workable, and more discrete than the location described.

I know that Stinger has been intentionally engineering their product to be a complete solution and therefore a closed system, one that doesn't integrate with any other products, and given the performance they have delivered in the short time they have been in the market, cant see why anybody would want to mess with those results.

That said, one of the discussions I have read on specific Radar Detector forums - which include posts by the principal developer behind Stinger - Bluetooth and or cell phone integration is one feature they are trying to avoid at this point, though its clearly a feature forum members are clamoring for.

As good as the Stinger VIP display looks, I'd be curious if you know much about how the iPhone app works for the ALPriority/STI-R system with a Bluetooth module? Does the app have to be displayed on the screen to get real time alerts (which means the phone must be dedicated to that app), or can it be running in the background and take screen priority when an alert is required? What if one is actually on a phone call, or using a navigation app such a Garmin when an alert is detected, will the ALP app take screen priority then as well?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bwc
Please please post photos of all of this once done!
Will do for sure. I've also created https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...inside-155712/ to detail all the stereo stuff I'm doing.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:59 PM

Shop installed the ALP jammers and radar detector today. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I'm really happy with the way it looks from the pictures. As expected they hid the ALP emitters under the black bar on the front and under the hatch in the rear.

The in-car display wouldn't work in the rear-view mirror because of the way our mirrors are made, so instead they moved to the backup plan of using the display that's normally used for the passenger seatbelt indicator. From the pics I think it looks great. Really impressed with how it's turning out. Pics below.

Stealing the passenger seatbelt status indicator for the radar detector and ALP displays.

Startup screen for the ALP and STi-R.

Side view. No sign of any changes other than my new tint. Check out the McLaren 675LT sitting beside me. The cars that come into this place are just sick!

ALP emitters hidden under the black bar in the grill.

Close up of the ALP emitter mounting.

ALP emitter mounting in the rear.

Close up of the ALP emitter mounting.

I'll never see these parts again.

The following users liked this post:
SVR 575 (04-30-2022)
Old 01-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

The vintage led dot display seems a bit out of place with the other vehicle displays. Otherwise looks like a very clean installation.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:23 AM

The vintage led dot display seems a bit out of place with the other vehicle displays. Otherwise looks like a very clean installation.
Agree...but lesser of multiple evils AND not much more aesthetically imoactful that that useless airbag sign.

Last edited by Lookout!; 01-08-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Antilaser priority laser jammer head placement