F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with RaceChip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good info.

The warm up thing is interesting and I could see the benefit to it if the RC turned itself on automatically each time the ignition turns on. But if what you say is true and I have to open the phone app each and every time I start the car then what good is it? I'll just wait until the car is warm before I open up the app.

The performance difference between RS and GTS seems very small (they claim only 10 HP more in my application) so I'm not going to pay an extra $300 for a timer that doesn't even operate with autonomy.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XFJoe
Good info.

The warm up thing is interesting and I could see the benefit to it if the RC turned itself on automatically each time the ignition turns on. But if what you say is true and I have to open the phone app each and every time I start the car then what good is it? I'll just wait until the car is warm before I open up the app.

The performance difference between RS and GTS seems very small (they claim only 10 HP more in my application) so I'm not going to pay an extra $300 for a timer that doesn't even operate with autonomy.
Keep in mind everyone I have both crank and supercharger pulleys, a tune, a belt, bushing and 30 mm lowering springs available if your looking for some upgrades. Also full cat back valvtronic stainless sport performance exhaust system made for the "project predator". Selling for 60% off VAP and paramount performance prices. Parts are new. Call me or text me at 6159337682, or pm me. (Cell is preferable).

Chris

Old 10-03-2019, 05:46 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Good info.

So that 2 min warm up is adjustable -- you can turn it off entirely, shorten the 2min or even extend it to longer than 2 mins. To your point, you could just wait out the 2min without the app too. The RaceChip instructions reference the timer as follows:
WARM-UP TIMER You decide when the RaceChip switches on and enhances the power available Making the RaceChip-enhanced power available only after the engine has reached a specifi c temperature reduces strain on the engine components

Old 10-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Understood, but the app doesn't initiate the countdown on it's own when the ignition switches on. I still have to interact with the app every time regardless of what the timer is set to. It seems like RC could come up with a more "set and forget" solution.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:40 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Understood, but the app doesn't initiate the countdown on it's own when the ignition switches on. I still have to interact with the app every time regardless of what the timer is set to. It seems like RC could come up with a more "set and forget" solution.
I have the GTS Black non-BT version in my F-Type and it works transparently to the driver, it's always on Map 7.

I recently bought another RC for a different car with the BT interface, and it's no different except you don't have to open the hood to physically use the buttons on the device to change maps. There is no obvious benefit to not running your highest Map all the time, so the phone app seems pointless to me.

Last edited by RacerX; 10-05-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense and lines up with what RC just told me...

Thank you for contacting the RaceChip US Customer Service.

The RaceChip will remain in the last setting that your previously set it. If you would like to deactivate the 2 minute warm up timer then yes you need to open the phone but the warm up timer length is adjustable via the app.

Should you require any more information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
You may simply reply to this message and a member of our team will get back to you.

Austin Funk
Customer Service

RaceChip Chiptuning GmbH & Co. KG

ETA: RacerX, do you see a major benefit to the warmup timer? I'm having a tough time justifying an additional $300 just for one additional map and a timer. On my XF there's only a 10 hp difference between RS and GTS Black.

Last edited by XFJoe; 10-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
George05 (10-06-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense and lines up with what RC just told me...
ETA: RacerX, do you see a major benefit to the warmup timer? I'm having a tough time justifying an additional $300 just for one additional map and a timer. On my XF there's only a 10 hp difference between RS and GTS Black.
I have dynod Map 6 and Map 7 on my RC and there was a 6 HP difference. I don't know if Map 6/7 is the same across RC variants. My understanding is that it it is not, just from reading the listed HP deltas between RC models. Map 7 dyno'd 50 HP higher at peak and 70 HP more at the widest gap from stock. It is definitely noticeable but 10% is not Earth shattering. I highly recommend an upper pulley too, which adds another 20 HP at peak and 30-40 HP maximum.

In my 2014 V8 S I can turn traction control full off and floor it in 4th at ~50 mph and light up the rear wheels like a stationary burnout with 305r20 MP4Ss.

RC is not a configurable tune like most guys are used to, it is essentially either on or off. So I don't think you will care at all if you can control the warm-up timer or the Map setting from inside the car, but I do think it's worth a few bucks more to get the most HP.

Last edited by RacerX; 10-05-2019 at 04:31 PM.
XFJoe (10-07-2019)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
By comparison a flash tune is fast and simple.
Hi Unhingd.,

Wonder what is so-called flash tune?

Is it easy to get? simple to install?

I live in Korea, wonder I could do by myself.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo
Hi Unhingd.,

Wonder what is so-called flash tune?

Is it easy to get? simple to install?

I live in Korea, wonder I could do by myself.
The flash tune (via OBD port) is what Velocity AP (VAP) offers. Very easy to flash the car yourself. However, it is only available for the 2014 thru 2019 model years. ( maybe not even 2019).

Old 05-16-2020, 08:43 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Resurrecting this thread to report that I ordered the RaceChip yesterday as an alternative to the usual flash tune and/or pulley...just to avoid any engine warranty issues. We'll see if there is any improvement in acceleration, which is all I'm looking for, and if not, I'll take advantage of the 30-day return policy.
The purchase was denied by my credit card company initially because it was an out of country company and as a result my card was locked, which I was unaware of. No need to guess what happened next, right. Had to call the CC company and straighten that out before going thru the entire order process again, but all is good now and device is on the way.
I'll test it out and give an opinion on here after I install it.

JagRag (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Resurrecting this thread to report that I ordered the RaceChip yesterday as an alternative to the usual flash tune and/or pulley...just to avoid any engine warranty issues. We'll see if there is any improvement in acceleration, which is all I'm looking for, and if not, I'll take advantage of the 30-day return policy.
The purchase was denied by my credit card company initially because it was an out of country company and as a result my card was locked, which I was unaware of. No need to guess what happened next, right. Had to call the CC company and straighten that out before going thru the entire order process again, but all is good now and device is on the way.
Also, don't forget to change your signature line!

Old 05-16-2020, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Also, don't forget to change your signature line!
Will do if I leave it on.

JacksonvilleJag (05-16-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 08:19 AM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

How’s it goin? Any update? Just curious.

Last edited by Poison Ivy; 05-30-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Poison Ivy
How’s it goin? Any update? Just curious.
Yes, yes. I just logged on to provide an interim update after a week's experience with limited miles. I was going to wait until I had really shaken it out but couldn't resist giving my impression to date.
My butt dyno tells me there is a significant improvement in acceleration and pull all the way to red line. I'm definitely keeping the device and so far see no reason to ever use any setting other than level 6, Race mode...mostly because I haven't noticed any change in MPG in everyday driving..
I did a test WOP throttle from a dead stop with DSC off and the thing was like a beast--significant wheel spin and squirrely rear end, which I have never experienced in this car with any combination of settings.
When I find a proper site I'll give it a fair comparison to stock for specific metrics: 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile at least. It's easy to do since the RaceChip module can be unplugged and a dummy plugged in to return to stock. There might be a device setting that effects the same result but I don't know which one it is; it has 6 increments in Race, 5 in Sport and 4 in Eco.
The chip retains the setting last used which I like since I don't really plan on chaning it unless there are road conditions that demand it or the MPG changes on a long interstate hwy segment for instance when performance is irrelevant. However, if there is a want or need to change the device settings, it's piece of cake with my android via app I purchased with the unit.
So far, better than so good I would say.
Changing my signature presently..
Let me just add that I was a skeptic and put this purchase off for several months, but finally decided that with RaceChip's good reputation for accepting returns there was little risk, so I took the plunge. Other than some frustration with that back MAPT connector, it's a very easy install and would be a snap if I had to do it again, which also means that whenever it has to make a trip to the dealer the device will be removed just to avoid any possible conflict with warranty coverage.
Cheers

Old 05-30-2020, 01:08 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I’m running a Racechip ultimate on v6 base. Definitely an appreciable difference from stock. Subjectively id say it’s 0-60 drops 0.5s. Objectively you will no longer get bullied by cars like genesis, chargers with the race stripe... and go karts.

Would definitely recommend It if you have a base and are under warranty.

That being said warranty expires soon so tune + pulley to come.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks to all for the info.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

fujicoupe, the best way to get a definitive comparison is to do in gear times ie 50-80, 70-90, 60-120 etc.
0-whatever is very difficult to get right every time, where as in gear is easy.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timbo
fujicoupe, the best way to get a definitive comparison is to do in gear times ie 50-80, 70-90, 60-120 etc.
0-whatever is very difficult to get right every time, where as in gear is easy.
I tried a couple very unscientific accelerations today. Results were 50-80 right at 3 secs., 60-90 not noticeably different. Sound reasonable?

Old 06-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Banned

I tried a couple very unscientific accelerations today. Results were 50-80 right at 3 secs., 60-90 not noticeably different. Sound reasonable?
Today's joy ride: One 70-100 test @ 4 secs.
Anyone have any comparative times?

Old 06-14-2020, 06:37 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Yep, 30-60 1.01 secs, 50-80 1.99 secs and 60-120 2.99 secs.
Car is a V8R and very modified lol

Quick Reply: Any experience with RaceChip?