Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with RaceChip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 08:01 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo
Yep, 30-60 1.01 secs, 50-80 1.99 secs and 60-120 2.99 secs.
Car is a V8R and very modified lol
That thing must feel like a rocket--wish you lived close by, I'd beg for a ride.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question crank and supercharger pulleys

Originally Posted by Chris starko
Keep in mind everyone I have both crank and supercharger pulleys, a tune, a belt, bushing and 30 mm lowering springs available if your looking for some upgrades. Also full cat back valvtronic stainless sport performance exhaust system made for the "project predator". Selling for 60% off VAP and paramount performance prices. Parts are new. Call me or text me at 6159337682, or pm me. (Cell is preferable).

Chris
Chris. If you have a package price for both pullies, belt, tune, catback exhaust, I might be interested. Can you PM me so I can get specifics and package pricing?

Old 07-23-2020, 01:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-23-2020, 01:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LarkM
I am in the middle of putting in a RaceChip in to my 100% stock 340HP XF. I am a driver, not a mechanic, so it was a little frustrating getting it installed, but I am about to the end of the process.

Evening #1
I received some generic VW instructions form RaceChip, then they emailed me supplement with a few photos of a jaguar. These are the same photos posted elsewhere in these forums. Pretty straight forward as to how it connects, redirecting MAP and MAPT. Took my time as I didn’t want to face any broken parts or undoing mistakes. The MAP took a minute and I thought I would be finished in a matter of minutes. Yeah right...

The MAPT/boost sensor connector at the back of the engine was a real challenge. My 2016 model had more of a cover over the back of the engine compartment than the photos showed, and there was very little room to put a hand. The connector is at an angle and is in a hard to access position. After one evening of barked knuckles I asked the forum if they had any tricks, who mostly confirmed that it was a difficult place to get to. Owners suggested a remap on the ECU (expensive) or possibly trying to wire a connection closer to the ECU (a bit scary for me). I decided instead to have a beer and sleep on it, pondering the prospect of having to return the RaceChip if I couldn't solve the problem.

Evening #2. I decided that a lack of technology was my problem, so drove down to the local tool shop and procured some new tools for working in hard to reach places, plus an illuminated mirror.

Used gently, the hose puller tool (on the right) was good for releasing the lock and unplugging the MAPT connector. I secured the loose connector with a ziptie so it didn’t fall into the depths. (2 hrs including the trip to the store). Considering this good progress I went to bed.

The next morning I decided to take a run at it before going to work. Plugging it all back in actually proved more difficult for me because I had to match the angle of the plug receiver without seeing it.

I tried the mirror which took a bit of effort to position because of the lack of space but after I found the right angle I ziptied the mirror into place to free up both hands. The mirror wasn’t very useful once I was close in, but it helped to set the plug at the right initial angle as a starting point. I positioned the new plug using the 90° pliers and then switched hands hands to nudge it into place with a finger. Using one had over and one finger under I was eventually able to plug it in. (I did not remove or disconnect anything else on the back of the engine to get more space.) (2 hours)

Once turned on the RaceChip threw no errors but the device didn’t connect immediately through Bluetooth to the app on the phone (Android). In retrospect it seems to be sensitive to the software sequence, so I got success after uninstalling everything and reloading in the exact sequence in the instructions, which included loading the ap then pairing. The single clarification call to tech support went quickly and worked. They seem to be very responsive and helpful. All ended well. (45min)

Much to my relief the car started fine and I didn't have to troubleshoot anything.

Results:

The first run in default setting 4 (sport) seemed to feel a little gutsier, but a time/speed run was about the same as stock (21.7s@123MPH). I did not have time before leaving town to test it further, so I am looking at more testing in settings 5 and 6 (I have the RS version of the RaceChip) next week, as well as looking at the fuel economy. But so far so good as far as nothing unexpected so far. The installation did not seem to disagree with the car and we had no hiccups, pops, tapping, knocking or unexpected farts. The car runs at least as good as it did before at first glance.

Lessons Learned:

RaceChip installation on the XF for an inexperienced person like me takes a little time and patience, and in my case about $50 in additional tools. (The compound pliers I never used except for retrieving my dropped 90° pliers) (;>

I was interested in the RaceChip with the hopes that I could take it on and off as needed to have warranty work done at the dealer. If I decide that I want to keep it around, I think that I will try to build/find a 2” extender plug and wire so that I can plug and unplug the MAPT without having to reach into the back of the engine to do it. It is too difficult to connect and disconnect even with practice, and I don’t like doing things by feel. The dream of quick connect and disconnect is waning a little unless I figure out the plug extension.

Might check out this post: https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/race...-review/366691

I am overall encouraged and will post more next week when I have a had more time with it.

To an early question about what the different maps are intended to do (from RaceChip):

"...Yes, each level on the RaceChip is a more aggressive tune.
-Map 0 will be the car back in stock condition. Perfect for valet's, someone borrowing your car, or even going in for service.
-Map 1 and 2 will be the economy modes. Perfect for a road trip and maximizing fuel economy.
-Map 3 and 4 will be our sport modes. A nice balance of power and torque over stock with smooth acceleration.
-Map 5 and 6 are the Race modes. Take your car to the next level with a significant increase to power and torque."
]I am about to embark on a similar racechip journey. Today was my day 1 on a 2016 XJL 3.0 AWD, same thing sent VW instructions and my "Customized tailored" XJ instructions were either from an f-type or xk bc you can see the hood opens from the back. My question is, is the hard to reach MAPT sensor located in roughly the same place on the XF as the XJ? Id like to mentally prepare myself if it's going to take me hours to find and attach.
Any advice is appreciated
Thank You

Old 07-23-2020, 10:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RaceChip Install

The installation is technically simple, but I would go to the trouble of ordering an extension plug for the MAPT connection. If you look at it with a mirror you can get the orientation then do it by feel. I have bigger hands so it was a bit of a pain and I had to use tools. You can always pay a local mechanic 1/2 labor to connect and reconnect it.
A few photos of the MAPT: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...access-222357/

The extension wire makes it easy after the first time and you don't have to dig behind the engine after the first time. That way you can plug it in once and then connecting and disconnecting is really easy after that. This is the one that I found that works off of Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D41VNCX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D41VNCX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Michigan Motorsports 4 Pin MAP Sensor Extension Harness 20", Replaces PT1863, 88952839, 88988320, Cadillac SRX, Cobalt, Pursuit

Brand: Michigan Motorsports Brand: Michigan Motorsports
Price: $19.99
  • 4 Pin MAP Sensor Extension Harness Turbo 2 Bar MAP Sensor
  • 20" Map Extension Harness for Bosh 4 pin Map Sensors
  • Often used when relocating the MAP Sensor,
  • Compatible with PT1863, 88952839, 88988320
  • 4-Pin Ford Falcon BA BF XR6 Turbo Bosch T-MAP (temperature + MAP) Sensor Connector to suit 4.0L 6 cylinder turbo models.
After having it for a while I like the RaceChip - Setting 6 seems to be my default and you don't really seem to notice the change unless your are in performance mode. I noticed that my average gas mileage over 3000 miles (all setting 6 and in race mode) was only .8 mpg less than when I was driving it in standard setting and with no racechip (26.2 vs. 27mpg)

Good luck!

Last edited by LarkM; 07-23-2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: update
The following users liked this post:
Motorcity XF (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 12:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Markie427
]I am about to embark on a similar racechip journey. Today was my day 1 on a 2016 XJL 3.0 AWD, same thing sent VW instructions and my "Customized tailored" XJ instructions were either from an f-type or xk bc you can see the hood opens from the back. My question is, is the hard to reach MAPT sensor located in roughly the same place on the XF as the XJ? Id like to mentally prepare myself if it's going to take me hours to find and attach.
Any advice is appreciated
Thank You
Took me about 25 minutes to install on my 2017 XF-S. Having a hook and a long flat blade screwdriver to release the sensor. I laid a lot of foam on the fenders so I could get under the hood to actually see the sensor.

I performed some draggy test 30 -60 MPH and the Racechip runs were a few tenths quicker.

Grab release with hook and push off with screwdriver.

Racechip Map 6

Stock