Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Well said. Always best to provide the non-descript answer! Now about those donuts....?
https://www.facebook.com/Frostys-Don...7170296008523/

https://theholydonut.com/

You were saying? Next time you and Tamela are here, we'll make a donut run. Make that two donut runs (see above).

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: I apologize officer but that beautiful white convertible behind me and I were on a donut run and...well...we were going to bring donuts to Police Headquarters.
Officer: OK, thank you and have a nice day sir.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-15-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Funny? No. Potentially costly? Yes.

The drive into work this morning was simply splendid with my wife not uttering a peep - i.e. not complaining - about my [modestly aggressive] driving. Not so the drive home when after a few high speed maneuvers - without pissing anyone, other than my wife, off - she threatened that unless I slow down that "I'm going to spend money"...talk about a non sequitur.

P.S. My driving has little if no bearing on my wife's spending and as any of the married men here can attest - I should add, happily married men - spend away my love, spend away. (while I speed away).

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 06-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
https://www.facebook.com/Frostys-Don...7170296008523/

https://theholydonut.com/

You were saying? Next time you and Tamela are here, we'll make a donut run. Make that two donut runs (see above).

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: I apologize officer but that beautiful white convertible behind me and I were on a donut run and...well...we were going to bring donuts to Police Headquarters.
Officer: OK, thank you and have a nice day sir.
Count me in. The former police officer in me just can't resist maintaining a perfectly valid stereotype 😉

Old 06-16-2016, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Count me in. The former police officer in me just can't resist maintaining a perfectly valid stereotype 😉
So what are you waiting for? The 2016 Jaguar Donut Run beckons...

Old 06-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Funny? No. Potentially costly? Yes.

The drive into work this morning was simply splendid with my wife not uttering a peep - i.e. not complaining - about my [modestly aggressive] driving. Not so the drive home when after a few high speed maneuvers - without pissing anyone, other than my wife, off - she threatened that unless I slow down that "I'm going to spend money"...talk about a non sequitur.

P.S. My driving has little if no bearing on my wife's spending and as any of the married men here can attest - I should add, happily married men - spend away my love, spend away. (while I speed away).
It's called "punitive shopping" and it's a classic tactic. My wife envokes it when I'm off on some outdoor adventure - most recently during a 2-1/2 week hiking trip to Patagonia (Chile and Argentina). A fair trade.

Desert Hiker

Old 06-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Today I was driving back from the park and passed a column of Ferraris that were going to a local Little Italy event. As usual, I had my loud button on.

Every one of them looked.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
99Gsp (06-18-2016), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 06-19-2016, 05:10 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,110 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker
...most recently during a 2-1/2 week hiking trip to Patagonia (Chile and Argentina)...
I'm envious. Have fun, and don't mention Top Gear.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Katahdin

Then read up on the fabulous Knife Edge*; which I've done in sleet, snow, and 40 mph winds). (If the roads to the mountain and more specifically to the trailhead weren't so "rough", it would make a splendid destination for F-Typers...and a lot closer than South America).

Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Default Holding Court At Trader Joes

A Trader Joes parking lot isn't exactly the best place for an F-Type (or any "type" for that matter) to park so when my wife wanted to make a pit stop there last night, I parked in one of the delivery bays waiting for her.

It got a bit embarrassing as three separate (as in they weren't together) people (two women, one man) stopped, stared, fondled (yes, fondled) and basically went crazy over its beauty. (And it's not like I designed the bloody thing). This went on for the 15 minutes my wife was inside.

The "funny" thing was the man was Australian with a heavy accent - comes with the territory - and I swear I didn't understand 3/4 of what he was saying. Still, I nodded and said uh hum more times than I can count.

Reminds me, as almost everything does, of the Seinfeld episode with the "low talker". Now if you'll excuse me, I have to change into my puffy shirt. How did this happen???!!!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

A Trader Joes parking lot isn't exactly the best place for an F-Type (or any "type" for that matter) to park so when my wife wanted to make a pit stop there last night, I parked in one of the delivery bays waiting for her.

It got a bit embarrassing as three separate (as in they weren't together) people (two women, one man) stopped, stared, fondled (yes, fondled) and basically went crazy over its beauty. (And it's not like I designed the bloody thing). This went on for the 15 minutes my wife was inside.

The "funny" thing was the man was Australian with a heavy accent - comes with the territory - and I swear I didn't understand 3/4 of what he was saying. Still, I nodded and said uh hum more times than I can count.

Reminds me, as almost everything does, of the Seinfeld episode with the "low talker". Now if you'll excuse me, I have to change into my puffy shirt. How did this happen???!!!
This happened!...I was on the tele with Jay and had to wait the five minutes for the gushing compliments to stop. Jay was just sucking it all in like a proud papa showing baby pics.

I tend to be a little more irritated with the bystander questions and comments when I'm on the phone, unless of course she has a tight dress on. I'd be a sh!tty celebrity, beating up paparazzi, and not answering fan mail I'd guess. Jay handled it like a true pro, remembering that without his fans, he'd be nowhere! He was minutes away from setting up a impromptu "Pete Rose" autograph booth, laying out his 8x10's.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-21-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Eh...the Trader Joes "meet and greet" was after you and I were on the phone Pete. The first round of accolades were bestowed upon me, with you on the phone, while I was still in my parking garage. By...it so happens...an attractive woman wearing a skirt.

(There's really nothing to be annoyed by others gazing upon, fawning upon, a thing of beauty like an F-Type - any and all F-Types - and the way I figure it, engaging people that I might otherwise not engage with is my way of creating a positive and friendly attitude towards and upon others. Costs me nothing and if I can put a smile on a stranger's face, with a stupid car, all the better). I do my bit and do believe in Karma. Karma or Kramer, I'm down with both!

Try it, it works. Coupe or convertible. .

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-21-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Eh...the Trader Joes "meet and greet" was after you and I were on the phone Pete. The first round of accolades were bestowed upon me, with you on the phone, while I was still in my parking garage. By...it so happens...an attractive woman wearing a skirt.

(There's really nothing to be annoyed by others gazing upon, fawning upon, a thing of beauty like an F-Type - any and all F-Types - and the way I figure it, engaging people that I might otherwise not engage with is my way of creating a positive and friendly attitude towards and upon others. Costs me nothing and if I can put a smile on a stranger's face, with a stupid car, all the better). I do my bit and do believe in Karma. Karma or Kramer, I'm down with both!

Try it, it works. Coupe or convertible. .
I enjoy engaging in conversations with car guys who ask questions like "Is that the 550HP version?" or the such. I got in a 30 minute talk at Home Depot with a guy driving a 911. I guess where I draw the engagement line is when random people start with the "nice car", then when you acknowledge with a "thanks!", they take that as a opening to force dialog. This happens all the time, whether I'm on the phone, in a hurry, etc. I find myself not making eye contact often, when I want to keep it moving. This car gets a ton of attn, how I deal with it greatly depends on my mood and how much of a hurry I'm in. The worst are car washes. Jesus. EVERYBODY wants their turn to talk to you about your car...from the guy washing it, to the others getting washed, to every passer-by within eyesight. Sometimes I feel like that "car show" chick, waving hands over the car like a Price is Right model.

Comes with the territory I guess. I would hate for all the attention to magically disappear if I were to get a vert.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-21-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:41 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,110 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Jay hasn't noticed that I put a bumper sticker on the back of his car that says "Ask me about my car!"

Old 06-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
I enjoy engaging in conversations with car guys who ask questions like "Is that the 550HP version?" or the such. I got in a 30 minute talk at Home Depot with a guy driving a 911. I guess where I draw the engagement line is when random people start with the "nice car", then when you acknowledge with a "thanks!", they take that as a opening to force dialog. This happens all the time, whether I'm on the phone, in a hurry, etc. I find myself not making eye contact often, when I want to keep it moving. This car gets a ton of attn, how I deal with it greatly depends on my mood and how much of a hurry I'm in. The worst are car washes. Jesus. EVERYBODY wants their turn to talk to you about your car...from the guy washing it, to the others getting washed, to every passer-by within eyesight.

Comes with the territory I guess. I would hate for all the attention to magically disappear if I were to get a vert.
You let someone else wash your car??? That's taboo on this forum Pete. (Or, more to the point, a hot topic. Many don't let even their Jaguar dealers touch the car and make a point of informing them to NOT wash it, for fear of scratching it). Personally, I LOVE washing (and carassing) my car.

I totally get about your mood and time [re] engaging with people. Truth is, I neither ask for or truly like engaging with...well...anyone (and certainly when it comes to the car). I hate small talk of any kind and essentially that's what comes with talking about the car with strangers. Still, it's harmless and usually puts a smile on someones face and that I enjoy. If it comes to that.

I guarantee, whether you want it or not, your F-Type will attract plenty of attention and I would suspect that that would even increase with a convertible and "expose" you - literally and figuratively - to more banter. Whether you desire it or not is another matter.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

You let someone else wash your car??? That's taboo on this forum Pete. (Or, more to the point, a hot topic. Many don't let even their Jaguar dealers touch the car and make a point of informing them to NOT wash it, for fear of scratching it). Personally, I LOVE washing (and carassing) my car.

I totally get about your mood and time [re] engaging with people. Truth is, I neither ask for or truly like engaging with...well...anyone (and certainly when it comes to the car). I hate small talk of any kind and essentially that's what comes with talking about the car with strangers. Still, it's harmless and usually puts a smile on someones face and that I enjoy. If it comes to that.

I guarantee, whether you want it or not, your F-Type will attract plenty of attention and I would suspect that that would even increase with a convertible and "expose" you - literally and figuratively - to more banter. Whether you desire it or not is another matter.

I can drive with the top up all the time like a celebrity in a hoodie and shades. take the back roads to avoid the paparazzi.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Jay hasn't noticed that I put a bumper sticker on the back of his car that says "Ask me about my car!"

Thank you for not including my cell phone number Dave...or my credit card number. Who says you're not a helpful and welcome addition here?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
I can drive with the top up all the time like a celebrity in a hoodie and shades. take the back roads to avoid the paparazzi.
Being harassed, literally, by them would get old very very quickly!!! Awful.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

People around these parts (The 603) just don't know what it is. Some have asked which model Ferrari it is while one person asked if it was the new Miata. I think my standard answer from now on will be "The new AMC Gremlin"

Old 06-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
... while one person asked if it was the new Miata.
Ouch!

Old 06-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
while one person asked if it was the new Miata.

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?