F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

[QUOTE=Kitesurfer;1485442]People around these parts (The 603) just don't know what it is. Some have asked which model Ferrari it is while one person asked if it was the new Miata. I think my standard answer from now on will be "The new AMC Gremlin"[/QUOTAnswer "yes", then the conversation would end.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Yes.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I was at a local European car show this weekend put on by the local mg car club. They allow newer model cars so I signed up. The car attracted a lot of interest from many people. You expect that at that type of event. Many kids with cameras too. The car attracted as much attention as the Ferrari Spyder Speciali one car away from me) or at least I thought so). You meet some nice people and usually learn a few things about cars.

I am more concerned with gawkers driving erratically or boy racer hot shots in their cars more so than the average person showing interest. The nut jobs are dangerous.

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 06-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

We'll certainly the stares and comments are constant. Yesterday my wife and I met friends at a barbecue wing place we love. It's just off the highway at the ramp and connected to it is one of those old roadside motels that are now more like apartments than anything else. As we pulled into the lot we could see 4 guys all sitting in lawn chairs in front of one of the rooms...tee shirts, beer cans and well you get the picture. They all started animatedly talking with one another as I pulled into a space about 100ft away. Now two things crossed my mind, is the car going to be safe...and are we going to be safe. Now knowing this area well I was not too deeply concerned. As I got out of the car, I started to hear the raging debate they were having......."man that's a Aston Martin......no man your full of s$@t that a Maserati......f no man that's that new F thing......."

They then yelled across the lot, "hey man what kind of car is that?" Jaguar F-Type I said. "Dammit I knew it you all a bunch of punk *** idiots" said the one who yelled out. The others all said, "that is just a great looking car". I said thanks and they all said they thought that this car was a classic and they have seen a lot of nice cars coming to this wing joint and I was the only one who ever even bothered to respond to their questions.

Got inside and the bar tender came over later as we were eating and she said that all her bar customers were asking who's car it was and whether they could rent it for the afternoon!

The following 2 users liked this post by Mbourne:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021), RickyJay52 (07-12-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Two quickies:

It got a little crazy today while waiting outside my wife's law office; no less than 6 or 7 guys were hovering and buzzing about my car ALL of them taking pictures, from every conceivable angle, at the same time (3 different groups of friends). My wife Liz walked out of her office not knowing what the hell was going on. All the while an attractive women came over to me while I was holding our dog Scarlett saying what a beautiful dog I have.

Two days ago a huge truck comes racing along side of me, screams out the window "gorgeous car"...followed by "you should have my friend tune your car". I quickly said I'm happy the way it is and he went on his way. Brief but odd exchange, wouldn't you say?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Two quickies:

It got a little crazy today while waiting outside my wife's law office; no less than 6 or 7 guys were hovering and buzzing about my car ALL of them taking pictures, from every conceivable angle, at the same time (3 different groups of friends). My wife Liz walked out of her office not knowing what the hell was going on. All the while an attractive women came over to me while I was holding our dog Scarlett saying what a beautiful dog I have.

Two days ago a huge truck comes racing along side of me, screams out the window "gorgeous car"...followed by "you should have my friend tune your car". I quickly said I'm happy the way it is and he went on his way. Brief but odd exchange, wouldn't you say?
There was a time when a car could attract women....now it's dogs and cute babies.

Last edited by Mbourne; 07-11-2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Had to add the video!
The following 3 users liked this post by Mbourne:
Burt Gummer (07-23-2016), RickyJay52 (07-12-2016), Unhingd (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Now quite a bystander reaction but today I did have someone challenge me to a race. He was in a Hyundai Sonata. He was entirely serious. When I didn't race he kept driving like a maniac in and out of traffic to get me to play with him.

Finally when I pulled alongside I rolled down the window and said "Man, I can't race you. There's no way I can take that thing. You win."

The following 3 users liked this post by LobsterClaws:
99Gsp (07-19-2016), Mbourne (07-12-2016), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts
Default F-Type: bringing people together with love.

OK I have to be really cautious here so as not to sound any more pretentious than I already am, but lets face it, if you own this car, *chances* are you are not someone who goes around in a broken down pick up truck wearing a dirty wife beater, week old beard, and drinking PBR.

So I'm filling up when these two characters approach. Their opening line: "DAMN, that is a SWEET *** car!"

"Yes, I happen to rather fancy it."

Of course, the follow up line: "How much is that car??"

But after some pleasantries, we got to discussing the finer points of the F-Type, Bordeaux wine, Italian tailored suits, and moonshine.

What else but an F-Type could bring the world together, I say!

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelanzetta
OK I have to be really cautious here so as not to sound any more pretentious than I already am, but lets face it, if you own this car, *chances* are you are not someone who goes around in a broken down pick up truck wearing a dirty wife beater, week old beard, and drinking PBR.!
Ok...I'll say it before Jay or Dave does...you obviously haven't met me yet. lol

mikelanzetta (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ok...I'll say it before Jay or Dave does...you obviously haven't met me yet. lol
Or me.

mikelanzetta (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

There is a guy on YouTube that proved a car really does very little for you with women. They could care a less. He hangs around his new Lambo getting things in and out of his trunk in front of a mall, a gym, a park lol - nothing.

But have a cute puppy or appear vulnerable - wear a cast or something - a here they come.

Always, always, always buy a nice car for your own personal enjoyment - NOT to become more attractive to women. Speaking generally here - they don't care.

Originally Posted by Mbourne
There was a time when a car could attract women....now it's dogs and cute babies.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelanzetta
Of course, the follow up line: "How much is that car??"
I had a guy stop me in a parking lot as I was locking up - he said "wow that has to be over $200k, right?"

I really didn't want to burst his bubble, so I said "yeah, something like that" :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Greggbhill:
mikelanzetta (07-24-2016), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If it were not for a car I would not be married to my wife. 20 years ago a very cute girl selling daffodils for the American Cancer Society outside a coffee shop asked me what kind of car I pulled up in (red twin turbo supra) and we struck up a conversation. The rest they say is history.

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
If it were not for a car I would not be married to my wife. 20 years ago a very cute girl selling daffodils for the American Cancer Society outside a coffee shop asked me what kind of car I pulled up in (red twin turbo supra) and we struck up a conversation. The rest they say is history.
On the first date with my eventual-wife-to-be, I asked her to help me remove and replace a transmission so I could replace a tail shaft seal. Every time since then I've asked her to help me work on a car she's told me to get stuffed, so I'm certain that wasn't the deal closer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
AlexKeyWest (08-17-2019), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2016, 04:03 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,110 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
...I asked her to help me remove and replace a transmission so I could replace a tail shaft seal...
Sounds like a euphemism for something, though I have no idea what.

mikelanzetta (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Probably once a week now, somebody asks me about the car. A couple of days ago an 18 wheeler pulled up next me at a light. The guy starts asking me about the car. We talked until the light turned. When it turned I asked him if he wanted to run it. We both had a good chuckle.

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Sounds like a euphemism for something, though I have no idea what.
Dave, you gotta figure that out for yourself.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm trying to find a parking space at a Jacksonville marina Sunday but it's packed. There's a restaurant there at the marina that coned off its best parking spots. As I backtrack, the valet jumps out and asks if I'd like to park there. I tell him I'm not eating. He says no problem. I say, no fee? He says no fee. He explains his generosity - he wants the "eye candy" there in front of the restaurant. He gives me the prime spot in front of the restaurant. I gratefully obliged.

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the car a few weeks. The 2nd day with the car my wife and I went to one of our favorite places for an early dinner after some shopping. The street was pretty quiet (Sunday of July 4th weekend) but as we were going inside I noticed a Bentley GT, 911 Carrera, and an AMG sedan outside a pizza place across the street, and because there was really no one else around, I knew they belonged to three guys sitting at a table outside the pizza place.

After being seated in the restaurant I could see out the window one of the guys crossing the street, walking slowly around the car taking pictures, then around again shooting video.

That never happened with my Saab! Not yet anyway.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 406 Posts

"That never happened with my Saab! Not yet anyway."

Maybe if it catches on fire...

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?