F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

In New Zealand, if I'm alone in the car, I get sideways glances from pedestrians - like they're thinking "don't make eye contact, don't make eye contact". If my girlfriend in in the passenger seat, then people are much more like likely to take a closer look.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jallitt
In New Zealand, if I'm alone in the car, I get sideways glances from pedestrians - like they're thinking "don't make eye contact, don't make eye contact". If my girlfriend in in the passenger seat, then people are much more like likely to take a closer look.
Have you considered the possibility that your girlfriend is much more attractive than you, and they don't even care what kind of car you're driving? IJS...

Old 11-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I record a bunch of dashcam and road trips via different cameras. I post some on Youtube, A Youtuber commented on one in Yellowstone. He asked what car that was, thinking it was either a corvette or F-Type. I said he got the F-Type right, and it's a fun way to take in that scenery.

He said:

"Sure, its about scenery. But if you happen to navigate scenery in a car that sounds like Satan at the dentist then it's about the car too."
Satan at the dentist! Funny. Gotta remember that one.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, so beyond the typical "nice car" and some stares not much happened - also not approached at a gas stations etc.
Mind you - I'm in Germany, so people are less likely to approach you here if there is no context to it.

One very nice story remains, was doing a day trip down the Rhine valley and just on my way back home when I got stuck behind a big tour bus.
There was a kid sitting at the back window looking at the car, first one, then two, then... so in the end there where 7 or 8 kids (age around 8-10 years) cramped on the backseats starring at the car and waving at me, sure I waved back :-)

When there was space to overtake, I fell back some more meters and floored it.
Could unfortunately not see the kids reacting but guess Jaguar has some new potential clients now!

In general I have the feeling that a lot of kids quite like the car and really enjoy seeing it.

--
Personal story of mine, not yet involving my Jaguar was at a red light.
I was at this time in my Mini Cooper and next to me a beautiful XJ showed up.
We both had the windows down and I commented on the nice car.
The driver said he really likes it, as it is much easier to get out of his parking lot than with his other car.
Considering the dimensions of the XJ I’m not sure what he was driving ��

The following users liked this post:
Desert Dawg (01-25-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Had a little semi-warm (40 deg lol) weather over the weekend. I was out ticking off the break-in miles and had my windows down partially. At a light, two younger dudes in what looked like a brand new Malibu pulled up along my driver's side. I wasn't really paying attention but realized they were talking to me. Driver asked me "Are you Bruce Wayne?" I didn't know how to answer...so cringey. I laughed and said, "No...but would I tell you if I was?" He said "Nah nah...but that ****'s fire though man." I guess it looks a little Bat Mobile-chic.

Always interesting. The car is a real head turner, that's for sure. Sight and sound.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:55 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by cgnFT
In general I have the feeling that a lot of kids quite like the car and really enjoy seeing it.
I know my nephew does, he's 11 and quite a car kid!
Nice story, thanks.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I met my partner at Costco one morning in my F Type. As we are heading back to our cars their was a man taking pictures of my car. As we get to her car (We parked next to each other) he turns and says what a beautiful car it is but why would anyone bring an F Type to Costco, you cant get anything in them. We agreed and I never told him it was mine.

uncheel (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by mc5mojo
I met my partner at Costco one morning in my F Type. As we are heading back to our cars their was a man taking pictures of my car. As we get to her car (We parked next to each other) he turns and says what a beautiful car it is but why would anyone bring an F Type to Costco, you cant get anything in them. We agreed and I never told him it was mine.
Taking a F-Type to Costco is how one affords a F-Type.

The following 5 users liked this post by uncheel:
Burt Gummer (01-26-2018), DuhCar (01-25-2018), Mbourne (01-26-2018), mc5mojo (01-27-2018), ndabunka (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jallitt
Pics of your girlfriend required so that we can answer your question...LOL

Old 01-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One time, kids inside the car next to me on a traffic light asked me to rev it a little bit. The reaction they gave was priceless!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesv8s
One time, kids inside the car next to me on a traffic light asked me to rev it a little bit. The reaction they gave was priceless!
First time that happened to me I struggled getting it into neutral so I could rev and they chuckled - I had a great laugh at myself for trying to impress kids and failing miserably

jamesv8s (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
First time that happened to me I struggled getting it into neutral so I could rev and they chuckled - I had a great laugh at myself for trying to impress kids and failing miserably
Another reason to have a clutch pedal. lol

Old 01-25-2018, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Also another reason to get a VAP tune if you have an auto.
Stock is limited to 4,000 rpm in N or P, the VAP tune removes this limit and you can rev it to the redline all you want!

Burt Gummer (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 01:00 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Tunnels - I love tunnels, especially in a traffic jam. I waited a couple car lengths, then took off, happily popping all the way. A Beemer to the left noticed. Someone in a Nissan rolled their eyes.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jagged Wire:
Burt Gummer (01-26-2018), NigelW (01-26-2018), uncheel (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesv8s
I bought my SVR last week and as we were leaving the dealership two kids in an IS300 were at the light edging on me clearly just trying to get me to get on it. I looked at my friend who was with me to pick the car up and he said the nice thing about this car is you don't have to prove anything to anyone they know its fast. So I just showed them how quick I could get to the next light a few hundred yards away and while I was at that light waiting for them to eventually catch up they were clapping and all thumbs up. Put a smile on my face and then I got on the highway and headed home. Since then I get lots of compliments including a valet kid at a nice restaurant who said that's the most amazing car he's every driven...

jamesv8s (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

"Never give your car to a valet, never never never." - Mr Jay Leno. He's right.

The valet kid enjoyed your car alright.

DuhCar (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
"Never give your car to a valet, never never never." - Mr Jay Leno. He's right.

The valet kid enjoyed your car alright.

I'm safe - most don't know how to drive a manual.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

The only valets I've ever trusted were the ones at the Press Hotel in Portland, ME on the two Lobster Runs and a seperate visit we made. I attribute that to a couple of things, first and foremost they are well known and respect our forum's very own Rickyjay and would not dare to disappoint him, second they get quite a few visitors with higher end vehicles and third they are obvious car guys who seem to really appreciate the FTYPE. As long as that crew is there I have no fears.

Other places............never, never, never.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

On my way to the car, I saw a guy walking his dog. I'm a serial dog petter, so I asked if I could introduce myself to the dog, and he replied that it was a Service Dog. I backed off, thanked him, complimented him on his beautiful dog, and went to the car. When I unlocked it, he yelled "Trade you the dog for the car!"

Huh. How much is a good Service Dog worth these days?

Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by El Gato
I'm safe - most don't know how to drive a manual.
That’s how my MINI got crunched. Valet got it half way up a parking garage ramp and lost it. Lexus at the bottom of the ramp didn’t fare well either.

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?