Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb
Ha! Depends on how creepy they are? I was just assured last night by the bartender I gave my number to when I got drunk that I'm not creepy so I have that going for me. Next time y'all are here, let me know and maybe we can meet at Johnny's or even the Claremont! My friends took me there for my 40th birthday and Blondie herself groped me and offered me a job (I couldn't decide if I should be flattered or insulted). If they are older gentlemen, that's how I think of them, but I just looked and apparently the term is rhino, although another suggestion is silver fox. Of course if they are the creepy type, then just dirty old man.

Seriously though, if y'all are in town, let me know and I'd be happy to get out of my house. Most of my local friends are much younger and now that they've all had kids, I rarely see them.

See, I'm terrific at threadjacks!
Will do. Will send P.M.

The following users liked this post:
PBBarb (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
I live in a 'nick-in-the-woods' , away from major towns and cities. Not too long ago a 'state-of-the-art' carwash opened. But they also have spots to wash your car with pressure and gels and stuff...

Thing is : you put your money in and press whatever you want to do on a stack of buttons. First time I didn't have a clue as there are 3 guns ; what product comes out where..

The machine spits out what you choose, but time keeps on running and even pushing "stop" let it run on..

Now I used it on all three cars, I brought my expense down from € 4,- to € 2,- on a car, and I just thought up a plan to take it to € 1,50.. Harmless prank for 'beating-the-system'...

Sofar I managed to put insect desolvant on the front window, wheel cleanant and a full coat of foam on the car for € 0,50 .... Tuff part was cleaning it as the foam doesn't com off easily..

Turns out if I do not rinse it, but spray it with wax with the foam on, after that the foams comes off really quick... ... every day one learns..
Watch out when you use those self car washes.
Last Monday I did but the nozzle of the pressure gun wasn’t covered with rubber the way they normally are. Result: the nozzle hit the car and damaged the paint.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

@Fleer.

Thanks for the tip, but I stay clear from the car with the guns. Also I keep the hose behind my back to prevent it from hitting the car.
The 'glasscoating' also helps well. As this is a forested area many lanes are narrow or overgrown by schrubs. Sofar the branches
hitting the car did not leave any marks..

Old 10-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience has been similar to others:
  • Freeway racers - I'm a slow and boring driver and just get out of the way. The most persistent wanna-race racers tend to have the most beat up cars. Two experiences stand out though: Dad with wife and family in Acura MDX tailgating me at 80+. I kept pulling to the right and he kept sticking on my tail. Finally he gave up and moved on. As he went by I could see his wife reading him the riot act; Enormous electrical utility bucket truck sticking to me no matter how I tried to get out out of his way. He finally gave up when he realized I was not going to try and race a bucket truck on a rural road.
  • Best Experience - Older woman in a generic Japanese car gave me thumbs up at a stop; motioning to put my window down, she told me my car brought back memories of her late dad: Every year he would by her mom a brand new Jag. I was really touched but couldn't think of anything more profound to say than "thank you".
  • Most Fun - I live in an area where Ferraris are everyday sightings and a local high school kid drives a Lamborghini to school. Even so, the car jaded middle school demographic never fail to yell "Jaguar" and flash me an excited grin.
  • Most Surprising - Baby blue Porsche with so many wings, fins, and spoilers attached that I expected it to take flight, flashes me a thumbs up as I pulled to the side so he could try and get in the driveway of a store with a very steep dip.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I've got a good one:

My neighbor had a friend visit, and she fell in love with my car, and bought one. Actually leased, and it was something like <$300 a month, because they're trying to get them on the road, I guess?

I don't know, but I will admit in the last 6 months I've seen about double pop up in my neck of the woods. They must be trying to really deal to get people into these?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

here's a couple from me, in less than a month of ownership:

driving down the main drag of a local tourist trap with the top down, my wife sitting next to me clocks an elderly man and his elderly wife eyeing the car. As we approach, we hear him say to her "That's a really nice Jaguar". My wife laughed and said "I love that!"

me alone, sitting in the parking lot of a fast food joint with the top down. I'm checking email on my phone and a guy walking by says "excuse me, sir". I don't immediately realize he is talking to me, and I continue reading email. "EXCUSE ME, SIR". I look up this time, and he gives me a big grin and a thumbs up. "That's a really nice car!"

Of course then there are the countless idiots who want to "race" on the freeway. I had a Ford Taurus c. MY2003 (with the duct taped mirror option) ride my tail and try to zoom around me multiple times to no avail. I've had a Huracan Performante try to goad me into a stoplight showdown with liberal application of throttle in neutral. I've even had a v6 S197 mustang "challenge" me on I-35 right next to a highway patrolman.

People react to this car more than anything I've ever driven. I love it.

scm (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Cat
  • Freeway racers - I kept pulling to the right and he kept sticking on my tail.
I'll run with about anyone, but when I get a persistent tailgater (and I expect we ALL do), my standard response it to gradually slow down - nothing abrupt to risk an accident, just lazy enough to bore them. It doesn't take long.
My favorite occasion was when a guy took off in his Mustang to show me how a hot car should "properly" be driven. I believe the Charger over the next hill was duly impressed; unfortunately for him, it belonged to the SHP.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been pleasantly surprised by how many ladies give me a wave or thumbs up. They seem to love the lines and the color of my FType.

I'm used to being ignored or frowned at by the ladies but "thumbs up" waved by the guys in my rides before the Jaguar (Hellcats and Vipers).

Exception was this young lady who also owned a Hellcat (mine Phantom black, hers Sublime green). I kept running into her locally back when I had that car.

Last edited by Hayabusa; 11-06-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

And what does this little lady says now, if your un into her in the FT ..

Hayabusa (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Great question. I moved from the state, then sold the Hellcat and acquired the Jaguar. I doubt I will bump into her again.

Speculation: She would love the color, high impact like the Sublime green on her car. She also owned a Viper and was a hardcore car person and raced. The lines and performance of our cars would have struck a very positive chord. I believe it would have been love at first sight.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of thumbs up as the exhaust "snaps crackles and pops" ...

Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not for my F-Type, but when I had an E-Type convertible in the early 2000's and living in Silicon Valley....

Driving down El Camino Real Mountain View. I'm in the outside lane, and in the next lane comes a Ferrari mumble. We studiously ignore each other. Then, on the inside lane, comes some big boat of an American 1960's convertible full of teenagers. One shouts "Look at that car!", they all look over.... the Ferrari driver and I look, and they are pointing at my E :-)

Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member

My wife said she wanted a 'small car' to go shopping, a Smart 4Two was the smallest I could find..

I was bored and spend some money on lettering and 'stick-on' mesh/louvres and exhaust pipes [ for real !].
It was al set up to look like an "AMG Mercedes". Now there is no such animal as an AMG Smart, only Brabus Smart..

So it was parked next to a series of Porches and also a 'real AMG'. Not the top model, but the AMG-version which have also louvres and stuff.
When I was walking back the guy from the real AMG just parked and was looking down his nose to my Smart. Then some boys around 10yrs
old came running shouting; " Look, look, a real AMG" .. So the snob was gleaming with pride, until they ran past him and stopped at my Smart..

The look on that guys face was priceless..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 11-08-2018 at 05:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan_NL:
Burt Gummer (11-09-2018), Don1954 (11-08-2018), Mbourne (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
My wife said she wanted a 'small car' to go shopping, a Smart 4Two was the smallest I could find..

I was bored and spend some money on lettering and 'stick-on' mesh/louvres and exhaust pipes [ for real !].
It was al set up to look like an "AMG Mercedes". Now there is no such animal as an AMG Smart, only Brabus Smart..

So it was parked next to a series of Porches and also a 'real AMG'. Not the top model, but the AMG-version which have also louvres and stuff.
When I was walking back the guy from the real AMG just parked and was looking down his nose to my Smart. Then some boys around 10yrs
old came running shouting; " Look, look, a real AMG" .. So the snob was gleaming with pride, until they ran past him and stopped at my Smart..

The look on that guys face was priceless..

Badging that’s that absurd is actually very cool!

Old 11-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Badging that’s that absurd is actually very cool!
Thanks, it was indeed fun to experience the puzzled looks in people's eyes in amazement or disbelief..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

I love it!

Dan_NL (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Mercedes snobs deserve no less, especially if they can't take a (visual) joke. Great job.

Dan_NL (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I just had a toll booth guy, stick out his head, mouth open, and then saying "Wow, that's a beautiful car". All before taking my money

Last edited by Paul champagne; 11-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Burt Gummer (11-09-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
I just had a tool booth guy, stick out his head, mouth open, and then saying "Wow, that's a beautiful car". All before taking my money
I was thinking about a guy selling tools from the booth of his car, until I realised its a typo..

You mean TOLL booth..

Old 11-10-2018, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

For the Mercedes crowd...

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?