Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 03:23 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,468 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Maserati, "Poor man's Ferrari". More expensive, less dependable, and less desirable than a Jaguar.
If they're more expensive shouldn't they be "rich man's Ferrari"?

Old 08-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

My first car as a teenager(many, many years ago was a TR-2. Had Jaeger gauges. Walked up one day as a couple of "experts" were discussing it. One was saying, "See, I told you, it was a Jaguar, see those gauges."
Of course it was clearly labeled 'Triumph' all over the car......

Old 08-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

I don't know about funny, but it made me smile to myself when I left the grocery (AKA Owens Liquor) on returning from Vegas Saturday. Two older gentlemen were loading their purchases in their SUV and as I walked to my F one just stood silently and stared with his mouth agape until I had exited the parking lot. I did goose it so it popped and crackled a bit. Love this car!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I don't know about funny, but it made me smile to myself when I left the grocery (AKA Owens Liquor) on returning from Vegas Saturday. Two older gentlemen were loading their purchases in their SUV and as I walked to my F one just stood silently and stared with his mouth agape until I had exited the parking lot. I did goose it so it popped and crackled a bit. Love this car!
This car has proven to be a fantastic means of garnering attention from middle-aged and older men. From women... not as much as one might hope. Good thing I already snagged a good one beforehand

The following 2 users liked this post by Luc Lapierre:
dmchao (08-23-2019), Lani Kai (08-29-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,246 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
This car has proven to be a fantastic means of garnering attention from middle-aged and older men. From women... not as much as one might hope. Good thing I already snagged a good one beforehand
Edit: Oops wrong forum

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
MellieR (08-21-2019), scm (08-21-2019), xrix4096 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This car has proven to be a fantastic means of garnering attention from middle-aged and older men.
Kids go crazy about the F-type the way I haven’t seen with other cars. Staring with mouth agape, hands held to their head.

The following 3 users liked this post by Fleer:
fujicoupe (08-21-2019), Mbourne (08-21-2019), Noshame (08-21-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

This car has proven to be a fantastic means of garnering attention from middle-aged and older men.
You would not want the young brainless ones. It would invalidate your Jaguar.
Mind you, they dont have as many medical problems.

Its geographical, you have more cultured mature males in BC and buggery is not frowned upon.
(I live in the states now) Women love the XK and Ftype (my brother's car) men know nothing about it. In my town, seen more women driving Jaguar convertibles, all models.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

Its geographical, you have more cultured mature males in BC and buggery is not frowned upon.
(I live in the states now) Women love the XK and Ftype (my brother's car) men know nothing about it. In my town, seen more women driving Jaguar convertibles, all models.

I'm certain that every man who expressed admiration for my ride was heterosexual. So the car wouldn't seem to help if I were pursuing "buggery".

F Type drivers I have seen so far (not counting myself):

Vert
- 1 middle-aged Caucasian woman (base)

Coupé
- 2 young Asian men (mid 20s?) (R)
- 1 young Caucasian man (looked early-mid 30s) (4-cylinder)
- 1 young Asian woman (early 20s) (R)

So a bit of spread. Hardly a large enough sample size to draw any meaningful conclusion, of course.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 6 year old grandson was riding shotgun one morning and it's his first ride in the coupe. We are on our way to summer day care - a very short commute of maybe 2 miles. As we are pulling into the parking lot he looks over at me and says "Boppo, I'm not allowed to ride in the front seat. But since you don't have a back seat it's ok."

Mbourne (08-22-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The F-Type R Coupe isn't in its new home more that 1 day; daughter blows in going to work and says, "I'm taking the Jag" and out she goes. Gotta love her....!

Mbourne (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by rsqrd930
The F-Type R Coupe isn't in its new home more that 1 day; daughter blows in going to work and says, "I'm taking the Jag" and out she goes. Gotta love her....!
Our kids do like to think they own everything.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

You mean they don't?? I "sold my '79 Corvette to my son in Denver so that I could replace it with my '17 F-Type. I sent him and the grandsons pix of the new car. Got word from daughter-in-law that they were already arguing as to who would be riding shotgun in it on the way back from my funeral reception.
Maybe she is trying to get me to eat better and do a bit more exercise as she always does??? She is a Nurse Practitioner.

dmchao (11-06-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

Only a matter of time before the by-stander reaction thread took a walk on the wild side. Not that there's anything wrong with it..............

Old 08-25-2019, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rsqrd930
Is she allowed to the same with the Ferrari, Porsche and Mercedes? If so, adoption papers on their way.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm pretty confident this was racist.

A guy asked me if I was enjoying my Jaguar F-TYPE. Then he said, "are those made in India now?" In this super smarmy, deliberately weird way.

Maybe I'm just hyper aroused to modern forms of speech, but it definitely did not feel like a positive statement coming from him.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:07 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

A guy asked me if I was enjoying my Jaguar F-TYPE. Then he said, "are those made in India now?" In this super smarmy, deliberately weird way.

Maybe I'm just hyper aroused to modern forms of speech, but it definitely did not feel like a positive statement coming from him.
I hope you said "Of course not, finest British engineering made in England". I wouldn't have deemed it racist, more stereotyping third world country manufacturing. People used to say the same about Japan, and then Hong Kong and China. Times change, most of us move on.

The other day I was filling up at my local gas station when a visiting American accosted me with "Hey what sort of car is that?" Not sure he knew what an F-Type is but he seemed mightily impressed at it.

Last edited by scm; 11-03-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Or, had you just done your homework (he says in jest) you actually could have rattled off the precise % of parts manufactured elsewhere (there’s a thread here somewhere which states what’s and where’s) and I seem to recall a great % (40+) being manufactured in Germany?

Although given his apparent attitude I wouldn’t have bothered.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-03-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:41 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Aren't Jaguar and Range Rover wholly owned subsidiaries of Tata Motors of India? Maybe the observer was confusing ownership with craftsmanship.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:59 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Aren't Jaguar and Range Rover wholly owned subsidiaries of Tata Motors of India? Maybe the observer was confusing ownership with craftsmanship.
Tata is by far the best owner Jaguar has had in recent decades - they've actually pumped money in to make it successful and kept it in the UK so they haven't diluted the brand. I think that observer was just trying to make a cheap point, he wasn't confused, just bigoted.

xrix4096 (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Tata is by far the best owner Jaguar has had in recent decades - they've actually pumped money in to make it successful and kept it in the UK so they haven't diluted the brand. I think that observer was just trying to make a cheap point, he wasn't confused, just bigoted.
Most likely a tiny bit jealous too, poor soul lol

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?