Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I'm pretty confident this was racist.

A guy asked me if I was enjoying my Jaguar F-TYPE. Then he said, "are those made in India now?" In this super smarmy, deliberately weird way.

Maybe I'm just hyper aroused to modern forms of speech, but it definitely did not feel like a positive statement coming from him.
Condescension intended to cut you down to size.

The reply should be " I think its made in Nigeria, isnt it spectacular" (make him kneel by forcing his admiration)
------------------------------------------
Yeah it is rooted in arrogant ignorance, Jaguar like every other car company has lived hand to mouth and gone from one sale or bankruptcy to the other, Tata has only grown since day one, and acquired everything from largest steels mills to, software to solar to the largest tea companies. Yes PG Tips.
The Chairman (and the guy who bought Jaguar) one of the most decorated, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratan_Tata

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Gas Cat (11-12-2019), Misujerr (01-22-2020)
Old 11-04-2019, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Or, had you just done your homework (he says in jest) you actually could have rattled off the precise % of parts manufactured elsewhere (there’s a thread here somewhere which states what’s and where’s) and I seem to recall a great % (40+) being manufactured in Germany?

Although given his apparent attitude I wouldn’t have bothered.
It’s actually 40% from GB and a full 54% from Germany. But that just means it’s only 54% as unreliable as a BMW.
If Ratan Tata hadn’t fallen in love with the F-Type concept drawings he discovered on Ian Callum’s wall during the due diligence process of acquiring JLR, the F-Type would never have been built.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
J444G (01-23-2020), Misujerr (01-22-2020)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It’s actually 40% from GB and a full 54% from Germany. But that just means it’s only 54% as unreliable as a BMW.
If Ratan Tata hadn’t fallen in love with the F-Type concept drawings he discovered on Ian Callum’s wall during the due diligence process of acquiring JLR, the F-Type would never have been built.
NOT my wife’s 2006 BMW 325xi wagon—6-speed, thank you very much, sports suspension, etc.—with 232,000 miles and it looks and rides like it’s brand new. My wife would kill me if I ever thought of selling it.

I know there was a thread somewhere which broke down the % of parts precisely, but your word is good enough for me.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-04-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
NOT my wife’s 2006 BMW 325xi wagon—6-speed, thank you very much, sports suspension, etc.—with 232,000 miles and it looks and rides like it’s brand new. My wife would kill me if I ever thought of selling it.

I know there was a thread somewhere which broke down the % of parts precisely, but your word is good enough for me.
The six-bangers are indeed solid. The V8s, on the other hand, have gained a spotty reputation.

The following users liked this post:
STMPY (11-08-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=RickyJay52;2149383]NOT my wife’s 2006 BMW 325xi wagon—6-speed, thank you very much, sports suspension, etc.—with 232,000 miles and it looks and rides like it’s brand new. My wife would kill me if I ever thought of selling it.

I have a 2008 VW Passat wagon, 150K on the old clock. My wife would also kill me if I thought of selling this wagon. Been rock solid from day 1.

RickyJay52 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Not being present and only speculating, I would guess the guy's comments came from lack of knowledge, and an attempt at making conversation about the car.
In these crazy times it is real easy to second guess what someone 'really means' by their comments, and try to take the worst possible explanation. Maybe we should just go back to the times of asking "Why" and then offering an educational explanation, rather than attempting to become offended at the easiest possible chance.
I have a friend who has a beautiful Lamborghini. The first time I saw it, I was attempting to say something "cool' about his car, but could only say something on the line of, gee, it really does has those Lambo doors???? Really intelligent, but then it was a pretty impressive $250,000 pile of metal and carbon fiber.

Gas Cat (11-12-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Who cares what the guy meant. Whether idiot or fool, just move on. This is not a criticism of you, but for your own well being, hyper sensitive to everyone's speech is not a good way to go through life.

The following 2 users liked this post by HalcyonDays:
Burt Gummer (11-07-2019), Noshame (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I correct the misapprehension that not all Jaguar owners are pushovers.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:17 AM
Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Had a funny one today

Went to nearby tire place today to get my ** new pilot super sports ** put on the rears. I've used this place a couple times for my wife's civic but this was the first time for the jag.

The foreman saw me pull up and yelled "Hey Chris (other staffer)! We're taking this one to the back bay. That's gotta be a $250,000 (CAD) car!".

I politely corrected him "It isn't nearly THAT much... " to which he replied "Well, ... it looks like it!".

The following 5 users liked this post by Luc Lapierre:
BruceTheQuail (11-06-2019), Burt Gummer (11-07-2019), Mbourne (11-06-2019), Paul champagne (01-22-2020), uncheel (11-09-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Not being present and only speculating, I would guess the guy's comments came from lack of knowledge, and an attempt at making conversation about the car.
In these crazy times it is real easy to second guess what someone 'really means' by their comments, and try to take the worst possible explanation. Maybe we should just go back to the times of asking "Why" and then offering an educational explanation, rather than attempting to become offended at the easiest possible chance.
I have a friend who has a beautiful Lamborghini. The first time I saw it, I was attempting to say something "cool' about his car, but could only say something on the line of, gee, it really does has those Lambo doors???? Really intelligent, but then it was a pretty impressive $250,000 pile of metal and carbon fiber.
Sanguine and balanced... how dare you chase nuance in this day and age. REALLY appreciate this comment. I've actually defaulted back into just trying to understand my own head, and am rarely jumping into other people's noggin's in an attempt to understand what they mean, because half the time people don't even know what they themselves mean. LOL Great point. Good stuff. =) Crazy times indeed, I've been swept up and chewed up by the gears of a division loving news cycle. Time for some classical and calm.

Gas Cat (11-12-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Great cars

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Sanguine and balanced... how dare you chase nuance in this day and age. REALLY appreciate this comment. I've actually defaulted back into just trying to understand my own head, and am rarely jumping into other people's noggin's in an attempt to understand what they mean, because half the time people don't even know what they themselves mean. LOL Great point. Good stuff. =) Crazy times indeed, I've been swept up and chewed up by the gears of a division loving news cycle. Time for some classical and calm.
Hear hear. We drive some of the greatest cars in the world and as such should just sit back, relax, enjoy, and 'Drive on', while everyone else looks on with envy.

Tp10XKR (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 05:08 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Only been driving 2 times. First during the day and the other was during night time.
Both times I have gotten thumbs up or ''wow what a car''. 2 times drivers have tried to race me but I just ignored them and let them drive by.
When I floor the car people turn around like the world has come to an end.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by vika01
Only been driving 2 times. First during the day and the other was during night time.
Both times I have gotten thumbs up or ''wow what a car''. 2 times drivers have tried to race me but I just ignored them and let them drive by.
For them it has.....for you a whole new world just opened up!

Old 01-22-2020, 06:37 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I always get really nice comments, thumbs up and people getting out of their way to see and ask about the car. And that is in South Texas, the land of huge trucks.

The last one was this weekend when a charming lady came out of way to start a conversation about the car and flirt a little while I was detailing the car. Right up until my wife stood up from inside the car where she was doing the carpets

Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

A kid jaw dropped upon hearing the glorious growl of a cold start. He had to hold his jaw with both hands so it doesn't hit the ground.

Dan_NL (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vika01
The amount of times I am going 5-10 under the speed limit in a residential zone, or a few under as I ramp up from 25 to 45 or something, I cannot tell you the looks and slow pushed palm facing down over and over I get. Meaning, people constantly tell me to slow down when I am actually under the speed limit, just because the car looks and sounds fast. =) It's hilarious. I've even stopped and said "I'm under the speed limit" to some people, and people laugh and say it's the car. =)

PolkNole (01-24-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:44 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,468 Likes on 1,113 Posts

The F-Type looks like it's speeding even when it's parked!

Old 01-24-2020, 12:54 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
In these crazy times it is real easy to second guess what someone 'really means' by their comments, and try to take the worst possible explanation.
My philosophy is -

Anything someone says that can in any way be taken as a complement, take it as a complement.

If it is not possible to take it as a complement, ignore the ignorant *******.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Some weeks ago I parked and a 12 year or so girl walked up and said " Don't you mind the fish dying in the sea from the your car " , I assumed she referred to CO2 as this is the thing their brains are flooded with by their teachers.
I replied, "This car can do many things, go very fast, but under water it will not go fast enough to hit a fish, so you do not need to worry". The girl had a complete bland expression on her face.
I continued : " If you are worried about fish, tell your schoolteacher to check the ingredients on her shampoo bottle. Probably it has acrylates in it, micro plastic. It washes to the sea and kills fish. Not cars. " .
She then walked away in utmost confusion.

Later I passed the schoolclass that probably stopped to buy snacks on a schooltrip. Some children were talking : " If there plastic is in my shampoo I will not wash my hear at home" ... ..small victory..

The following 4 users liked this post by Dan_NL:
Arne (01-24-2020), J444G (07-01-2024), Mbourne (01-24-2020), SS4PK (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Later I passed the schoolclass that probably stopped to buy snacks on a schooltrip. Some children were talking : " If there plastic is in my shampoo I will not wash my hear at home" ... ..small victory..
This is SO AWESOME. Regardless of beliefs or politics (as if it should be about that), it's not a zero-sum game, and what's the harm in trying to be better across the board? Like, that's the harm in trying to be less wasteful and not as mean to the planet, right? That plastic thing bothers me SO MUCH. Not that I'd eat my local fish out of the bay anyhoo. Mercury is all the rage in these parts. LOL It'll be proper legislation of the giant culprits who are 95% of being the baddies, of course. But I'm offsetting my car by a) no kids (#1 thing you can do!), b) less elective flying, c) intermittent fasting for a net loss of overall food calories so I look REALLY good while saying I am not relying on factory farms for calories as much, so I am obviously very distinguished and not using vanity for a proxy of self-aggrandized environmentalism.

Wait, what? JOKES ASIDE... that lesson to the kids is badass. It's the little nuggets of wisdom that spread like a wonderful virus. And passive misdirection is really fun. haha too much coffee Friday I guess.

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?