F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 10:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will never get that with a Porsche. So ordinary looking even a grandmother will drive it. The F is such a stylish double look vehicle.

The following 2 users liked this post by jtorral:
Burt Gummer (06-10-2021), SVR 575 (06-12-2021)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:11 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
The amount of times I am going 5-10 under the speed limit in a residential zone, or a few under as I ramp up from 25 to 45 or something, I cannot tell you the looks and slow pushed palm facing down over and over I get. Meaning, people constantly tell me to slow down when I am actually under the speed limit, just because the car looks and sounds fast. =) It's hilarious. I've even stopped and said "I'm under the speed limit" to some people, and people laugh and say it's the car. =)
Yes. It’s funny how loud it is in first gear even if you drive slowly.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A Prius owner

I actually had a Prius owner walk up to me and ask 'what is it' and he just stared when I drove away.
I have the feeling the cat woke something up in him.

The following users liked this post:
RayJag1 (11-20-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 01:38 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnymike
I actually had a Prius owner walk up to me and ask 'what is it' and he just stared when I drove away.
That's just cruel. He'd be feeling inadequate anyway driving a Prius - no need to rub it in!

Old 01-28-2020, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
That's just cruel. He'd be feeling inadequate anyway driving a Prius - no need to rub it in!
Oh no they dont- the condescending basturds look down on you and feel superior driving a Prius.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
.. look down on you and feel superior driving a Prius.
They do sit a bit higher up..

Queen and Country (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
They do sit a bit higher up..
And inconsiderate to other drivers, as if they were special / privileged.
I dont blame them, some were given money to buy the car and told they are the chosen ones. Its carte blanche to be retarded.

(thats the real cruelty, giving a really slow car to someone, and telling them they are Ayrton Senna)

this is the cure- human fuel injection into supercharger. (it creates employment)

Last edited by Queen and Country; 01-28-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Noshame (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
And inconsiderate to other drivers, as if they were special / privileged.
I dont blame them, some were given money to buy the car and told they are the chosen ones. Its carte blanche to be retarded.

(thats the real cruelty, giving a really slow car to someone, and telling them they are Ayrton Senna)

this is the cure- human fuel injection into supercharger. (it creates employment)
Now you know what Jay will be doing on our way to Cincinnati. lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DJS (01-28-2020), Mbourne (01-28-2020)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

My six year old F-Type R .... still had little kids hopping up and down and waving at an intersection. Amazing.

Uncle Fishbits (06-14-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

where the hell did u put ur clubs???

Old 06-11-2021, 07:17 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

The amount of times I am going 5-10 under the speed limit in a residential zone, or a few under as I ramp up from 25 to 45 or something, I cannot tell you the looks and slow pushed palm facing down over and over I get. Meaning, people constantly tell me to slow down when I am actually under the speed limit, just because the car looks and sounds fast. =) It's hilarious. I've even stopped and said "I'm under the speed limit" to some people, and people laugh and say it's the car. =)
This is funny, I also live in a quiet and very small community - there is basically one road in/out. There was a service trucked parked by my driveway and had to exit the opposite direction, towards the cul de sac to get out and turn around. Upon making the turn around, one of neighbors yelled at me to slow down in "this" neighborhood. I looked and was going exactly 12 MPH. I was tempted to let him know that I live there too and I was traveling at half the speed limit (meanwhile I live at the corner and watch people roll/speed through the stop sign ALL DAY! The funny part is that he stopped by last week while I was outside and apologized. Said there were two teenagers going pretty fast down there earlier in the day and thought I might be part of that group. He said "I dont want to be that guy" and that it was weighing on him for days. It is true though, some people just assume you're speeding or preparing too...

Uncle Fishbits (06-14-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnymike
Everyone knows that Prius owners are compensating.

(Cheers to my brother)

Old 06-12-2021, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

The last few posts struck a chord.

if something iooks fast in built up areas it'll look like its exceeding the speed limit. Weirdly on highways/ motorways doing 75mph they look like they're going slow!

My old x100 had straight through pipes and no cats courtesy of running on LPG/propane....that was biblically loud and use to make the neighbours on my cul-de-sac's windows rattle, when I got the x150 (with no back box) they came over to ask if it was louder than the last one...thankfully 10db quieter

On hybrids I had a Toyota C-HR and manage a retirement complex, when driving in and out I had to put my windows down and stereo UP so the old folk could hear me coming and shuffle out the way with their zimmer frames!

Old 06-12-2021, 07:38 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
... on highways/motorways doing 75mph they look like they're going slow!
At 75mph an F-Type is going slow!

Old 06-12-2021, 08:56 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Two responses from Katies' Cars & Coffee a couple weeks ago:
1. Woman leans over to look into the car and snorts: "Manual transmission...this guy is showing his age."
2. I was cruising through the parking lot to leave with the occasional and gratuitous blip of the throttle and some guy yells: "best sounding car ever!"
Other than that, nothing. I get far more positive reaction to my '90 GMC and '76 Land Cruiser. Bureaucrats in this town (DC) are mostly impressed with leather-clad SUVs and minivans. After almost 3 years of looking, I finally saw my 3rd F-Type (other than mine) in the wild along the Dulles Toll Road.
still pretty rare to see around dc

Last edited by datriani; 06-12-2021 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Realized this is a very dated post
Old 06-13-2021, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
still pretty rare to see around dc
1st, to the comment you commented on... that woman about the manual 1) would be burnt to the ground by https://reddit.com/r/cars, 2) would be burnt to the ground by the rest of the internet, and 3) honestly shows where we're at and it's super depressing. Everyone just wants a
so they can stare at their phones. It's moot, because manuals are so sought after in every market: 4WD, sports car, import, etc. Wild the value you see at auction, even for modern 80s or 90s cars vs AT.

But, as to your comment, I think it grows on me everyday that where I live is a gross mecca for car lovers. I'm north of San Francisco in Marin. I'm legit sitting here wondering if I should type all the makes and models I see *every single day* *over and over*, but it would sound like a Wittels humblebrag. But, here I go, and it's just unreal... it's sorta "you name it". There's a 2021 or 2022 F-Type on our roads as of yesterday. Beautiful dark blue, and I got a wave and stare from the passengers. I'd say there's 6 specific F-Types in my town of 10K (mostly women until a year ago), and likely another 4-5 in neighboring towns, a few active on this forum. There are modern and classic Astons, Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari, Lambo not so hot around here other than the SUVs, as for classics, also name it, and I love some of the old NSX, Datsun, Triumph, MG, and such. And then all the AMG, Brabus, Biturbo, Dinan, Maybach, etc. Car culture in Marin is alive and well. Tesla are a dime a dozen. We've a Sonoma raceway Wed night that includes drifting events with CRAZY IMPORTS, and you've a $500 1980 Datsun 200sx next to an off the lot brand new G3 $$$$ Porsche and a newly imported Skyline all drifting a few inches from each other. It's happy dumb. And it's truly hilarious to see a Tesla smoke a Challenger because this Hellcat can't link up w/ a modern AT compared to the space ship.

As for specific events, cars and coffee is back and what used to be 500 cars is likely 800 now and it's just mind numbing. You have to get there by 6.45a for a normal space to show off your car. We had dozens of classics, imports, 4x4, and a few classic ferrari and bmw relegated to other lots at this giant shopping center. lol It's fun to watch old timers immediately float over to the F-Type because they could tell it was, in fact, a manual transmission. haha They just had to see it. I'm an foreign focused guy, obviously, but if you wanted US Muscle it was also there. This was our gathering last week... https://photos.app.goo.gl/qTH7ezouFLNVB9hM6

I think that Cobra is the identical year of the one from Gumball Rally?
Driving 55 mph is UNSAFE.

It's interesting, tho... how beautiful our car is, and I think people want to look at my 1995 YJ Wrangler more. It's sort of depressing? I love that truck (ooooh boy that's a whole discussion of unibody vs body on frame? what is a truck?), but I swear I am sorta silly about how often I am walking back from a store or errand, and see the F-type and I just melt. It's funny, it's like when I look at my wife! That's no joke. You know when you see your partner in a store you're in, without recognizing it's them and before you do realize you're like "wow, that person is attractive"? LOL That's what happens with this car all the time!!

OH... the whole point. I was picking up dinner last night, and a guy in a very nice BMW screamed "Your car sounds lovely!". =)

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 06-13-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by burt gummer
my six year old f-type r .... Still had little kids hopping up and down and waving at an intersection. Amazing.
great resurrection!

Burt Gummer (06-15-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Like many of you...

I rarely drive anywhere and not get a least a thumbs up. Often much more in the form of compliments, from young and old alike. My favorite was one day when I went to Great Falls for an early morning walk. Only like six or seven other cars in the parking lot when a black Acura sedan pulls in. The driver pulls in and then backs out of a parking space and drives all the way down one aisle to the other where I was parked and pulls in two spaces over from mine. He gets out, unhooks his kid from the back seat who immediately jumps down and runs around and says "I like your car mister!" Cute kid must have been about 5 years old. I got down on one knee and thanked him and immediately started to talk about his dad's car. His dad stood behind the little guy and gave two thumbs up and mouthed "Thank you". I understood... every father wants to be their sons own hero. Whole experience made my day.

The following 3 users liked this post by aldavis:
Burt Gummer (06-15-2021), Mbourne (06-15-2021), scm (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aldavis
Whole experience made my day.
You are good people. You made the dad's day, the kids day, your day, and maybe my day. Great story.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Burt Gummer (06-15-2021), Mbourne (06-15-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 07:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You are good people. You made the dad's day, the kids day, your day, and maybe my day. Great story.
Very kind words Sir. Thank you! Kindness is a good thing...

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?