Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
If you saw the finger, you were probably eyeballing him, and he probably took that as a diss. While passing, I look straight ahead, unless there is something worth glancing at. I'd also rather not get shot at.
Fortunately, here in Frisco, TX (North Dallas Suburb) the area is full of beautiful automobiles and many people appreciate quality vehicles. It always puts a smile on my face when other drivers nod, smile, give a thumbs up and acknowledge the good looks of the F-Type. Of course, I do the same to the Ferraris, Lambos, Bentley's and McLarens I see on the road.

The only time it bothers me is when some young driver is doing crazy maneuvers in traffic to pull up along side of you just to give you a smile and a thumbs up, while almost running 14 other cars off the road...

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (11-22-2018)
Old 09-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I had an odd interaction happen on PCH today. I'm stuck in traffic, and a lifted F-250 towing a camper pulls up next to me, rolls down their window, and the wife asks me:

F-250: "Do you play hockey?"

Me: "Excuse me?"

F-250: "Are you a hockey player, do you play hockey?"

Me: "Uhhhh... No."

F-250: (looking perplexed) "Oh, okay. We're from Canada"

Me: "Uhhhh... Okay. Welcome to California"

F-250: "Thanks!" (rolls up window)

I assume they thought I was a professional hockey player based on the car and my awesome beard, but it sure was strange.

Uncle Fishbits (09-26-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Fortunately, here in Frisco, TX (North Dallas Suburb) the area is full of beautiful automobiles and many people appreciate quality vehicles. It always puts a smile on my face when other drivers nod, smile, give a thumbs up and acknowledge the good looks of the F-Type. Of course, I do the same to the Ferraris, Lambos, Bentley's and McLarens I see on the road.

The only time it bothers me is when some young driver is doing crazy maneuvers in traffic to pull up along side of you just to give you a smile and a thumbs up, while almost running 14 other cars off the road...
Yes, beautiful cars as you list above qualify as "something worth looking at," as I said above, and I always check those out. When driving the F-Type, I often give and receive the same from those drivers.

If it's a beater, and I'm driving the F-Type, I keep my eyes focused ahead.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

One time I was driving through a local community center (upper middle class), and this kid tells his dad as I cruise by, roof down: "that's a rich man"
Not quite, I thought, but I laughed anyways.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default An oldie but goodie.

A man in the Safeway Store in Texas tries to buy half a head of lettuce.
The very young produce assistant tells him that they sell only whole heads of lettuce. The man persists and asks to see the manager. The boy says he'll ask his manager about it.

Walking into the back room, the boy said to his manager, 'Some jerk wants to buy half a head of lettuce.'

As he finished his sentence, he turned to find the man standing right behind him, so he added,

"And this gentleman has kindly offered to buy the other half."

The manager approved the deal, and the man went on his way.

Later the manager said to the boy, 'I was impressed with the way you got yourself out of that situation earlier.

We like people who think on their feet here. Where are you from, son?'

' Canada , sir,' the boy replied.

'Well, why did you leave Canada ?' the manager asked.

The boy said, 'Sir, there's nothing but hookers and hockey players up there.'

'Really?' said the manager. 'My wife is from Canada .'

'No kidding?' replied the boy. 'Who'd she play for?'

Originally Posted by BierNut
I had an odd interaction happen on PCH today. I'm stuck in traffic, and a lifted F-250 towing a camper pulls up next to me, rolls down their window, and the wife asks me:

F-250: "Do you play hockey?"

Me: "Excuse me?"

F-250: "Are you a hockey player, do you play hockey?"

Me: "Uhhhh... No."

F-250: (looking perplexed) "Oh, okay. We're from Canada"

Me: "Uhhhh... Okay. Welcome to California"

F-250: "Thanks!" (rolls up window)

I assume they thought I was a professional hockey player based on the car and my awesome beard, but it sure was strange.

The following 2 users liked this post by DuhCar:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021), SupermansQueen (06-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@mjm3457,

I am SOOOOOO jealous of that post! I'm stuck in Silicon Valley right now, and have been wanting to get back to Colorado for years. I hoped I'd be able to escape and move back this year, but timing just wasn't right. But I'm definitely moving back next year.

I can't wait to get back to the mountains, and that pic of the Jag and the mountains is just awesome.

Thanks for posting, and enjoy the car and the mountains!

Old 09-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

mjm3457 - Pretty nice picture, even though it's a bit cluttered by all those damn mountains in the background.

(Headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway for some leaf-peeping this week.)

SupermansQueen (06-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
A man in the Safeway Store in Texas tries to buy half a head of lettuce.
The very young produce assistant tells him that they sell only whole heads of lettuce. The man persists and asks to see the manager. The boy says he'll ask his manager about it.

Walking into the back room, the boy said to his manager, 'Some jerk wants to buy half a head of lettuce.'

As he finished his sentence, he turned to find the man standing right behind him, so he added,

"And this gentleman has kindly offered to buy the other half."

The manager approved the deal, and the man went on his way.

Later the manager said to the boy, 'I was impressed with the way you got yourself out of that situation earlier.

We like people who think on their feet here. Where are you from, son?'

' Canada , sir,' the boy replied.

'Well, why did you leave Canada ?' the manager asked.

The boy said, 'Sir, there's nothing but hookers and hockey players up there.'

'Really?' said the manager. 'My wife is from Canada .'

'No kidding?' replied the boy. 'Who'd she play for?'
Yes, cute..
Lawrence

Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I should have known this going in but it didnt "click" for me that other people will find it as gorgeous as I do....

This car attracts TOO much attention for me. I LOVE the car but do not like all the comments, stares, questions, thumbs up, people taking pictures etc...

Feels like I am wearing a sign that says "STARE AT ME"...

Uncle Fishbits (09-26-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Holden
I should have known this going in but it didnt "click" for me that other people will find it as gorgeous as I do....

This car attracts TOO much attention for me. I LOVE the car but do not like all the comments, stares, questions, thumbs up, people taking pictures etc...

While some if that helps/hurts depending on your color - which is? - there is nothing demure about the F-Type.

My advice; focus on your driving and the stunning car and the heck with [i.e. ignore] those "staring at you".

Old 09-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Holden

Speaking of staring... the wife and I were out in the Jag over the weekend and ended up stopped at a major intersection where the traffic lights were out. There were two police officers there directing traffic. When it was our turn to proceed, the first officer waved us through the intersection. Along the way the wife and I noticed that the second officer had his eyes fixed on my car the whole time... even to the point of turning his head to follow us as we passed behind him. We were both amused.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I just assume....

......that all the stares, smiles, thumbs up, etc. are directed at my wife when she's in the F-Type. It gets me some credits with her.

Desert Hiker

jmfan (09-27-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Stopped at the lights and a young bloke in a BRZ pulls up beside me sticks his head out the window and says "thanks for not buying a BMW"
This is SUPERB.

I will tell you, one month in, I've noticed some weird patterns, albeit anecdotal. I live in Marin, in Tiburon. A town of 10,000, and there's at least 6 F-Types. That doesn't include watching cars come into town.... porsche, porsche, bentley, aston, etc etc. We have a couple Maybecks in town, and when I graduate from driving myself, I would consider one. LOL

I've only gotten about 4 genuine reactions in a month. Beyond friends and neighbors:

1) I was driving in Carmel, and taking a corner from Ocean Beach onto Scenic Road, I just heard a guy say to his wife, "Oh my wow that is a fancy car".

2) Filling up, a 10-ish year old boy came over and said, "I am sorry to bother you, I just want to let you know that me and my friends think your car is absolutely beautiful". This was my favorite, because I got to explain that I drove a Jeep Wrangler for 20 years, and saved my money as best I could so I could buy it, with the "SAVE YOUR MONEY" big and bold in the conversation. I felt like a parent for a short time. haha

3) A guy in the Prius was admiring it at a stoplight, and right at green said "really gorgeous color. Seriously... really gorgeous" or something like that. I must have sounded desperate, because I was "Oh man thank you so much". It's BRG, tan interior and top. It's identical colors to my Wrangler. lol

Because I am commuting in this car, and park it in a parking garage at work, I don't have the chance to hear many comments, etc. I am apparently supposed to enter it and my Jeep in our yearly Father's Day Tiburon Car Show next year. That will be fun. But here's the general stuff I've noticed about driving around people:

a) anyone in *ANY* sporty car... racing Honda, VW, etc, that really loves driving, seems to adore the car, and it's more of a kinship, "people who love cars, and I love your car, and we love driving", rather than some combative jealousy on the road.

b) HOWEVER... I do notice that combative jealousy from a) American muscle car owners like Vette or Camaro guys... but not so much from Challenger or Charger guys.

c) I *definitely* notice the "I am totally not looking, but I am totally looking" from *EVERY* single Maserati (for sure), M3 or M5, for sure.... guys trying not to be noticed looking at the car for fear we might expect they are second guessing the car they purchased. I am sure I am projecting, but the fancy pants Lexus, Infinity, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi all look THE SAME, and I think people look at the F-Type, and realize it for the first time, themselves. Like the BRZ guy saying "Thanks for not having a BMW".

d) I 100% notice EVERY Porsche guy looking and like "what the hell"? Especially with the sounds.... head turner every time.

e) I also notice, as someone mentioned, that "guys guys" start driving like idiots around this car, showing off, etc. Some of the time it's enthusiastic "sharing the love of the car and road" vibe, but other times it's almost like they want to race and be dumb.

f) I've never bought anything like this. I thought the perception would totally be "small *****, idiot jerk". Every single person has been so enthusiastic, excited, and pleased for me. It's nice. I was worried it would be seen as a midlife crisis. My friend said "It just makes you look great". lol

I love it so far. New to this thread. Will keep comments coming. I am only one month in. I purposefully went BRG w/black pack to reduce some of the chrome flash, and I do think it has put the car under the radar vs the gleaming white or candy red, etc. If that means a few less comments, I am absolutely fine with that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
99Gsp (09-26-2015), Mulmur (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jmfan
I was sitting at a light with the top down this afternoon when a nice guy in an older beat up Corolla pulled up next to me. He yelled over to get my attention and with a smile on his face said “excuse me sir, would you like to trade cars”. I politely responded with a smile “no thanks, but nice try”. He laughed and gave me a thumbs up.
Great story... this reminded me of a trip down to Big Sur... in traffic, convertible down, a man and woman are stop and going next to us in a beat up Saab convertible that looks ancient. They're having the best time, laughing, etc, but at one point the woman looks over and says "You know we have to trade cars, right?"

Also... whenever someone sees it's a manual transmission, they lose their minds with thumbs up and "I LOVE CARS TOO". It's a brotherhood of manuals.

I have made every valet so SO happy with the MT... sullen, tired, robot faces light up during the work day when you pull one of these up.

And last post, I forgot to mention Tesla drivers.... self-satisfied guys in $500 jeans and $300 Tshirts that think they have "arrived". I loved driving next to them because I think they realize the mistakes in their life at each cackle, gurgle, and purr

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
jmfan (09-27-2015), Mulmur (09-26-2015), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Was putting gas in today. Woman and her 10 year old daughter walked out of the gas station minimart. The daughter was looking at the car as she passed. The mom was preocupied. But as soon as the mom got just past the car to the other side of the pump I was on she stopped dead in her tracks. She backed up, told her daughter, who had just gotten in to their car to come back. She looked at me and said "excuse me sir I need to do something". She then pointed at the front nose logo and said to her daughter "what make is that". Her daughter replied "jaguar". Her mom said "right" and looked at me and said "we are a family of car crazies and vehicle recognition is important to us. Thank you for letting me do that". I said "no problem". I proceeded to start the car with that beautiful noise. The mother peered around the pump and said with a huge smile, "I'm sooooo jealous of you right now". I could think of nothing else to say but "thank you".
This is an adorable story. It's truly been my neighbor's kids, their kid friends, my friend's kids, etc..... this is like a Transformer for a little one. The kiddos LOVE it. lol I prefer the mom's loving it LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Mbourne (09-26-2015), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I noticed a father and his son circling the car today with quizzical looks on their faces. When they finally got to the back of the car, the father suddenly straighted up, pointed to the leaper and probably explained to his son what they were looking at. (my car has been debadged except for the leaper and the "S")

Old 09-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was at a gas station pumpimg gas- Mother to son ( aged 6-7) as she is walking by- " this is the sort of car you would want to by when you grow up"

Old 09-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I was in the Service area at a Chrysler dealership (don't ask). A service tech was standing there, staring. And then another. And then another. And another. I'm standing by it myself. After a few minutes of no talk, I softly ask the first fellow, "Wanna hear the exhaust?" He quickly and loudly responds, "PLEASE!", in an 'I thought you'd never ask' kind of way.

So I get in, put the Active Exhaust on my R, and hit it. I'm under the canopy, so it sounded amaazing! The guys in the booths on the phones were slamming their glass doors closed to hear, but nobody minded. And all of the techs were bubbling over it like school boys. One said, "You just made my day!" Not bad, since I was there at 9AM.

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Had some electricians working on my house on Saturday and they were parked in the driveway so I had the f parked on the grass verge by the street washing and polishing it. It took me twice as long as it should has because everyone walking past stopped to tell me what a nice car it was and to chat about it.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I was out with the car in very nice autum weather today, and parked just outside a restaurant in a hillside overlooking Oslo. It's a great view over the city there, and many people had taken a sunday walk up to enjoy the view and take pictures.

When I arrived about half of all the people there turned their attention to the car instead of the beautifull view and started taking pictures of it. When I got out I was met with many questions and nice comments.

It was almost too much and I did get a little embarrased. I am not used to that much attention

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?