F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker
......that all the stares, smiles, thumbs up, etc. are directed at my wife when she's in the F-Type. It gets me some credits with her.

Desert Hiker
I was driving with my wife a few weekends ago and she suddenly had this look on her face like she just realized something. She said, “This car draws a lot of attention doesn’t it. People keep pointing at us and I see them taking pictures as they drive by”. I said, “No honey, I didn’t notice, they are probably just taking pictures of you!” It worked for a second anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by jmfan:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021), sonny2 (02-03-2016)
Old 09-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

The looks continue. My son and I stopped for coffee at this little coffee shop that used to be a 40s era Texaco station. Quaint place. That said we just finished having a cup went out to the car and found a man looking at it and walking around it. He asked how we liked it and then proceeded to tell us how much he needs to get one and how special it is and that JLR really got this one right. We of course agreed. As the conversation proceeded he told us about his current cars: 458 Spider and a Mclaren 12C. Go figure!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
The looks continue. My son and I stopped for coffee at this little coffee shop that used to be a 40s era Texaco station. Quaint place. That said we just finished having a cup went out to the car and found a man looking at it and walking around it. He asked how we liked it and then proceeded to tell us how much he needs to get one and how special it is and that JLR really got this one right. We of course agreed. As the conversation proceeded he told us about his current cars: 458 Spider and a Mclaren 12C. Go figure!
I got the comment, near Boonville in Mendocino at a cute little grocery store in Yorkville (FANTASTIC DRIVE), that it was the nicest car that has ever been in the parking lot. Then the well kempt hippie gent asked if he could admire the car and walk around it while he had a smoke. He was really enthusiastic and friendly...

the coolest thing is that most people who comment are genuinely excited and happy for me. It brings way more joy to other people than I would have expected.

jetsetter883 (03-20-2021)
Old 09-29-2015, 01:08 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here in southern California almost every time I'm on the freeway, someone attempts to race me.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Got many beeps and high fives when driving home from the dealer in San Francisco. But out in Walnut Creek area, people walk right by and don't even turn their heads. I don't think they have any idea what an F- type is.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I got a text the other day after ripping down some backroads in my V8S - "former client here, your car sounds SICK!!!" Must have either passed him or drove by his place. Made me smile.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Comment from the 20-something lot worker unloading flowers at the florist I stopped at yesterday

'Beautiful car - Tell the dealer that I will be over in 20 years to buy one of those'.

The following 2 users liked this post by paddyh:
Jaronstoys (02-26-2016), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Well, my brother came through town with his new Tesla S P85D and we had lots of fun showing our toys to each other. On Saturday, we took the F-Type out to pick up a pizza. I had told him about how frequently people comment about the car. And, sure enough, when we strolled into the pizza place, the guy at the counter said, "Is that your Jag? That's one sweet car. If this place turns out like I expect, I'd like to get one." That was great and perfect timing. But, just as I'm turning to my brother with a s-eating grin, the guys follows up with, "but the car I REALLY like to have is a Tesla."

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

So Im heading to a guy's weekend at a lake house along with a buddy for the weekend. He goes into the quickie mart while I fill up.

I circle around to the door to speed up picking him up. While there, i hear a very cute biker girl saying, "Niice carr!", just as my buddy walks back out along with some beer. I say, "Thanks!". He acts like he doesn't know me and asks if I'm heading toward Jacksonville and can he get a lift. I say, "Have any extra beer?" He says, "Sure!". I pause and say, "Hop in." The girl is stunned, and then says, "Awww you're with him!" Good laugh for all.

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Got many beeps and high fives when driving home from the dealer in San Francisco. But out in Walnut Creek area, people walk right by and don't even turn their heads. I don't think they have any idea what an F- type is.
Totally agreed. I even thought about de-badging because it really is under the radar. I am surprised due to my expectation of the looks I was warmed about, but I like that I just get to enjoy driving. The only people who really notice are

A) car people

&
B) people who regret that they bought the wrong car. Lol

Speaking of that, went in for one of my lifetime free car washes today, and here is a Ferrari at the Marin dealer right now. Lol.

Ferrari visits the Jag dealer...

Buckingham (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Comment from a woman colleague- I usually don't pay any attention to cars unless it is a Ferrari, but your Jag is one attention grabber!

Uncle Fishbits (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

You get free car wash for life? BMC didn't offer that.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
You get free car wash for life? BMC didn't offer that.
If it's a free run through the "Brillo Pads, soap, and water jets" for life, my life will remain much better without. Paint swirls aside, you sure as hell don't want to run a fabric top car through one of those things.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

My dealer offers a free "hand wash" on Saturday mornings only.... for life, I guess?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
If it's a free run through the "Brillo Pads, soap, and water jets" for life, my life will remain much better without. Paint swirls aside, you sure as hell don't want to run a fabric top car through one of those things.
I was offered the same from my dealer. I'm slightly tempted to give it a try, only because they do the same for Bentleys, Rolls, Maseratis, and McLarens... It really can't be bad if all those high end cars are run through it, can it?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I was offered the same from my dealer. I'm slightly tempted to give it a try, only because they do the same for Bentleys, Rolls, Maseratis, and McLarens... It really can't be bad if all those high end cars are run through it, can it?
A few times don't hurt much, but it does cause swirls in the clear coat. The effects are cumulative, and you'd notice it more on darker cars, particularly black. If you were going once a week for 4 years, you'd notice the difference between the drive-through, car-washed vehicle and an identical car that was hand-washed. I suppose it depends upon how picky you are.

It is a total no-no for fabric top convertibles and most convertible owner's manuals recommend against it. The soap doesn't rinse out of the fabric, and the brushes will prematurely wear it.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My dealer says complimentary hand wash anytime I want to stop by, just plan on allocating 20 minutes for them to get it done. Given that my exterior water spigots at home are iron-heavy well water and that the dealer is only a 1/4 mile down the road from my office, I plan on taking him up on it once a month.

First wash from them is tomorrow morning, and when they're done they are going to apply the sealant that my Suntek PPF installer recommended.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
The Marin dealer didn't mention it to me, not once, during the purchase. I went on a drive to Tahoe when I picked it up, and dropped it off days later, for better or worse, to apply that 3M coating to the car. It looks good, and makes me worry less about the paint in things like a car wash.

*But*, it wasn't until I asked if they could wash the car prior to application of the coat when they said "Oh you can bring it in, anytime". I guess I shouldn't say "for life", as if it were some old school sellers gimmick. With water reg and cost of labor, etc... I am sure that will disappear in the lifetime of this vehicle.

Foosh... very good point that I should check the car wash out, back there, but it seemed hand washed, as well as hand toweled and dried. I did not note the top being wet at all. Someone mentioned a sealant for the top... I would suspect that was factory installed, or am I missing something?

I will check it out, but pretty sure they're not going to run their cars through something that may damage them? I imagine they wouldn't cause issues or damage to a car, when that is losing them revenue, anyway? I also thought it was less of an amenity to the car purchaser, so much as marketing expense in wanting the cars to look good on the road... I imagine they don't want orange peel effects, etc. I bet I am worried less due to the 3M film.

NB: little fact.... any car wash anywhere is better early in the AM, as they haven't taken as much grime, dirt off cars as later in the day, and there's less chance of damage or issues during AM washes. Towels are fresh, everything has been cleaned for the AM, etc.

** any car wash advice is well taken. My pop taught me to wash my own car as a sign of respect and pride in ownership. It's likely the best method. =)

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 10-07-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
My pop taught me to wash my own car as a sign of respect and pride in ownership. It's likely the best method. =)
I hand wash my car for that very reason. Plus it allows me to minimize the amount of water I use. I can also use my Master Blaster to dry the car without swirls and eliminate water spots.

I've been considering adding a clear bra or sealant, but haven't done so yet. The car is garaged 99% of the time though so it isn't a priority at the moment.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Foosh... very good point that I should check the car wash out, back there, but it seemed hand washed, as well as hand toweled and dried. I did not note the top being wet at all. Someone mentioned a sealant for the top... I would suspect that was factory installed, or am I missing something?
Yes, there is a factory-applied protective coating on the convertible top, which I assume is similar to a Scotchguard-type product. Soaps and high-pressure water will erode it over time. I've never done anything more than rinse mine with clear water, but I'm lucky to have an HVACed garage both at home and at work.

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?