F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

3pm driving down Reston Parkway and notice a car approaching fast in the right lane. It is driving erratically, I suspect the driver is completely drunk. The car is now beside me. I slow down and move to the far left side of my lane. The other car matches my speed. I look over and see the drive holding his camera phone out the window, taking a video of me. At first I was completely terrified, then I realized that he was filming the car, not me.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple months ago, drove to my mother's house to pick up her mail. Daytime, not a soul around. I park in her driveway, step out of the car and hear "Nice car, mister!". I turn around and notice some 6-7 year old kids on a trampoline across the street, jumping up and down to peer over their fence. I laugh and say thanks and one of them says knowingly to his peers "That's a Jaguar!".
Made me laugh.

Lots of people staring when exiting grocery stores, some taking pics, etc. Overall, very positive reactions. The kids staring in other cars always make me smile.

Like a few posters upthread, I felt self conscious driving the car for a few weeks after picking it up but that has thankfully worn off and now I just enjoy driving it.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:05 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Pulled up at the lights the other day and a couple of teenagers are standing on the opposite corner and one yells at me, at first I thought it was abuse and then I realized he was asking if it was the six or the eight😀

Old 11-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Still waiting for my car, sounds like lots of funny experiences. I did get given an F-Type for a day when I placed my order, either as a sweetner or a form of torture (considering I then had to wait 4 months for my order), and have had one experience so far

So as i said, had a demo for the day, and as one does, I was testing the burble and pops out through rapid decceleration. At one set of traffic lights as I came to a halt and the engined popped, 3x 19 year old girls who were waiting to cross the road were suddenly startled, one nearly falling over! However they seemed to take it in good humour and smiled coquettishly at me and waved. I however couldnt smile, as the missus in the seat next to me wasnt so impressed!!!

Cant wait to get my 2016 Storm Grey Convertible next week

The following 2 users liked this post by whiskey29:
99Gsp (11-10-2015), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 11-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

I took my F Type R to visit my mother this last weekend and due to the steep slope of her driveway I had to reverse it down into her carport to avoid scraping the front splitter on the ground at the bottom. When I went to leave I had the window open to say my goodbyes and when I started the car the combination of a cold start plus an enclosed carport with a garage door right behind the car meant a noise that even made me jump. My mum is only just over 5ft tall but she jumped a good 12 inches in the air.

Normally I look around the car before starting to make sure there is no one to startle but I completely forgot to warn her. Sorry mum!

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (11-11-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

While living and working in Maine is "life as it should be", parking on the streets of Portland - where my wife and I both work - isn't always an easy task (I often say parking is easier in my hometown of NYC). Fortunately we park in an indoor garage and rarely need to park any of our cars, and we drive in together 99.9% of the time, on the street. And, since parking tickets garners much needed $'s - and that's true most everywhere - Portland is particularly stringent when it coming to issuing them.

I ran an errand or two yesterday afternoon and as my wife and I were about to leave for home in a short period of time, found an excellent, by itself, spot directly across from her office. Problem is I didn't have any change on me. No problem...as one of my wife's legal assistants was crossing the street at that time and I asked her if she had a couple of quarters she could lend me. As she was fishing for change, just behind me comes a Portland "traffic" cop who quickly says, "you don't need any quarters for that! I heard you coming and then saw what it was". "You're good to go". A brief 10 minute discussion about the F-Type (with a sprinkling of Audi's and Porsche's thrown in for good measure) and...voila! My wife's legal assistant was duly impressed.

P.S. In the off chance any Portland municipal official is reading this: this "story" is merely fiction for the benefit of the F-Type Forum readership. Pure fabrication. I only wish it was true.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-08-2015 at 03:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
BMo (12-11-2015), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 12-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Jay, you gotta quit licking them toads.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_orLd0ITKsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 12-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

If anyone wants me, I'll be in Australia. Oz, make room!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2 yr old granddaughter is scared of Oz (my name for my R - Oz, the Emerald Dream). The Cat growls too much when I crank it up in the garage for her likes...

Last night, my wife pulled up in Oz where she met me after work at an local 17th Century Inn for dinner. I was standing outside waiting and talking to the 2 valet attendants when she pulled up. They were fighting over which one of them got to drive it. The lot was only 50 feet away. But, the loser just stood there, listened, watched, smiled, laughed and then, just shook his head...

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 12-19-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

The day before my radiator failed, I had it sitting out front while I was detailing/prepping XKR for sale. Kid drives by in beater truck and slams on brakes, jumps out and says "holy $h1t, what th f$&@?: is that? Looks at me and asks if it is mine. I nod. He says he has to get one and asks if it was something like $150k or $200k? He said he didn't have enough now but was debating a new car or the house his girlfriend wants. I wished him luck with that one.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
He said he didn't have enough now but was debating a new car or the house his girlfriend wants. I wished him luck with that one.
That's so sad on so many different levels.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had the car for a week, and get one or two comments or questions about the car per day. While parked in a mall lot, waiting for my wife, a man drove up and asked about the car. I told him about the car, and mentioned the aluminum body. His reply was "How'd they git tha paint ta stick?"

Last edited by IRRBrogue; 12-19-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-20-2015, 06:23 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

From my son in law in Mississippi:
"Hey if you ever want to come spend the night and let me drive that to work a few day that would be cool to. If anyone asked me how I got it I would say I was an early investor in ramen noodles."

I'll be there in a couple of weeks...

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 12-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I was at a club late the other night. The car was parked out front with the valet, and it was cold outside. I started the car with my phone, waited a few minutes then walked out to the valet. The two attendants were having a mildly heated discussion and quickly got quiet when they saw me. Apparently they were arguing over who started my car. They both had run back to the keyboard to verify the keys were still there. I showed them I could start the car from my phone, and also see exactly where it had been driven. The one guy immediately told me, we always park yours right out front, but today we had to move a few cars to get you a spot. You might see I drove it to the back lot for a few minutes... Sure enough I pulled up the My Journeys from the App and saw exactly where it had been. I don't know if these attendants ever took a car for a ride, but they certainly won't touch mine now they know I can see everything.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I was at a club late the other night. The car was parked out front with the valet, and it was cold outside. I started the car with my phone, waited a few minutes then walked out to the valet. The two attendants were having a mildly heated discussion and quickly got quiet when they saw me. Apparently they were arguing over who started my car. They both had run back to the keyboard to verify the keys were still there. I showed them I could start the car from my phone, and also see exactly where it had been driven. The one guy immediately told me, we always park yours right out front, but today we had to move a few cars to get you a spot. You might see I drove it to the back lot for a few minutes... Sure enough I pulled up the My Journeys from the App and saw exactly where it had been. I don't know if these attendants ever took a car for a ride, but they certainly won't touch mine now they know I can see everything.
Bwahahahahaha! I'm going to do that at our country club!

Old 12-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

How do you go about starting the car with your phone? Could the dealer install it? I've heard of this at least a few years ago but think I wanna try it now.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:31 AM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
How do you go about starting the car with your phone? Could the dealer install it? I've heard of this at least a few years ago but think I wanna try it now.
It's a free, downloadable app. Don't know if it's available on models earlier than MY2016 though. There is a fee for the service through AT&T though. How much are people paying for that? My cell service is via Verizon but I think it can still be done if carrier is Verizon.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BMo
It's a free, downloadable app. Don't know if it's available on models earlier than MY2016 though. There is a fee for the service through AT&T though. How much are people paying for that? My cell service is via Verizon but I think it can still be done if carrier is Verizon.
Its free with the MY2016 with the In Control Remote. Works on any android or IOS smartphone. Its an app! Doesn't matter what carrier. Should be included with the the purchase of the car for 5 years. (If you don't have a data plan, I assume you could be charged by your cell phone carrier for data, but who doesn't have a data plan on their smartphone today?)

Old 12-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Its free with the MY2016 with the In Control Remote. Works on any android or IOS smartphone. Its an app! Doesn't matter what carrier. Should be included with the the purchase of the car for 5 years. (If you don't have a data plan, I assume you could be charged by your cell phone carrier for data, but who doesn't have a data plan on their smartphone today?)
90's brickphone+me = smartphone. WSJ subscription=data plan.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:39 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I was given the impression I had to pay AT&T for the service. Good info...researching now... Research complete. As I stated above. App is indeed free, data plan is through AT&T, fee for service. Probably not much but a superfluous extra expense.

Last edited by BMo; 12-20-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Flinger (02-01-2016)

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?