F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Me either. I'm still puzzling over it. Then later he mentioned that I'm driving an "establishment" car and that people with funny colored hair used to drive Volvos back in his day.

Uh...what? I think he might have just been a bit off his rocker.
Ok, yeah, you're painting a clearer picture haha. Just a little wacky it seems. Gotta love the people this car attracts on a daily basis.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ImNotFamousAnymore
Ok, yeah, you're painting a clearer picture haha. Just a little wacky it seems. Gotta love the people this car attracts on a daily basis.
The worst part is I told the GF about it later and she lost her mind laughing and then said "You DO sort of look like you'd drive a Volvo..."

...FML.

The following 2 users liked this post by LobsterClaws:
ImNotFamousAnymore (02-07-2016), StellarPatois (08-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

The worst part is I told the GF about it later and she lost her mind laughing and then said "You DO sort of look like you'd drive a Volvo..."

...FML.
Ouch!

Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

..it seems like volvos are everywhere in my town. I think b/c its full of hemp-wearing, bicycle riding, hipster types. Its either get a volvo b/c its swedish (and therefore trendy?), or buy a tesla to be trendy.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

That reminds me of when I first registered my car. Since I bought it from a dealer out of state, I did it myself rather than pay/wait them to do it remotely. Anyway, when I got to the counter, the guy says:

"Jaguar. I can't help but get the image of an older gentleman in a frayed tweed jacket, who never seems to have remembered his wallet."

Not knowing quite what to say, I just chuckled along. Later, when he was entering the registration information, he asked about the lien. I couldn't help but respond:

"Oh, I took my wallet.'

[QUOTE=LobsterClaws;1397898]Took the car to get detailed today and the following occurs:
"You look like you drive a Volvo."

Last edited by uncheel; 02-07-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Today, I went to Nashville and got FOUR reactions:
1) in Belle Meade, a Mustang SS stopped in a turn at a busy intersection to beep and give a thumbs up

2) in busy Green Hills, a woman in the passenger seat of a Lexus leaned all the way out her window giving the thumbs up yelling "that is really cool!"

3) a realtor at a house in Belle Meade said "is that your white sports car out there?"
Me: yes it is
Realtor: yep, I can pick 'em
Me (to myself and later to my wife): yep, I bet that gold digger with too much makeup certainly can pick 'em

4) return home, a hipster in the back seat of an SUV rolled down his window and saluted as we were passing. So I opened the pipes and floored it to salute back!

A lot of reaction for one day!

Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I umpire travel baseball. I'm doing a 10U tournament this weekend. I park across the street from the field but its very visible. I hear the kids talking about it as they warm up and the coaches guessing what it is..."That's an Aston Martin!", says one. Another says, "No, that's a Jaguar. Don't know the make." I finally speak up and say "It's an F-Type - an F-Type R."

So hours later, the games are over and I'm ready to leave. I notice dozens of sub-teen eyes on me (and a lot of their parents). So I make sure the active exhaust is on, and with a light coating of rain on the road, it was easy to do a subtle drift out of the parking lot. I see them going nuts in the rear view mirror. I know, it was just kids, but I felt like a superhero for a second there.

Last edited by PolkNole; 02-07-2016 at 07:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PolkNole:
F-TypeRookie (02-09-2016), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by PolkNole
"That's an Aston Martin!"
Unless one is familiar with the either, with the spoiler up, it's not easy to know its not

Old 02-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

I walked into a hardware store today and passed by two of the associates and one asked: "Is that your Maserati out in the lot?" I responded:" No that's not my Maserati" and after a pregnant pause continued: " that's my Jag". One of the guys dips into his back pocket for his wallet, takes out a fiver and hands it to the other one. The one now with the fiver follows me to the car expressing that his wife wouldn't forgive him if he didn't take a closer look.

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I walked into a hardware store today and passed by two of the associates and one asked: "Is that your Maserati out in the lot?" I responded:" No that's not my Maserati" and after a pregnant pause continued: " that's my Jag". One of the guys dips into his back pocket for his wallet, takes out a fiver and hands it to the other one. The one now with the fiver follows me to the car expressing that his wife wouldn't forgive him if he didn't take a closer look.
Jaguar...enriching astute hardware guys daily...

4Holer (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Had my F-Type mistaken for a Maserati the other day too. I don't think they look that similar myself.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PaulParanoia
I don't think they look that similar myself.
+1.

Uncle Fishbits (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:53 AM

I can see mistaking it for an Aston Martin, but hard to see where they get Maserati.

On the other hand, I think in a lot for a lot of non-car people Maserati is the only brand they know that makes good looking high end cars that isn't Ferrari or Lamborghini.

The following 2 users liked this post by LobsterClaws:
danmandle (10-28-2020), Uncle Fishbits (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM

I can see mistaking it for an Aston Martin, but hard to see where they get Maserati.
More Maserati's are showing up in my town that doesn't have a dealership...and I always do a double take from the side until I see the "three ovals"

Uncle Fishbits (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

One of my coworkers keeps referring to my car as a Ferrari, which I don't take as an insult!

A high school friend's son saw my car, and commented it was a lot like a Saturn Sky. I laughed and bit my tongue. His dad was embarrassed, but I was amused.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

On the other hand, I think in a lot for a lot of non-car people Maserati is the only brand they know that makes good looking high end cars that isn't Ferrari or Lamborghini.
There's a Maserati dealership a few minutes from me, and in my town they're numerous. I really like some of their work, some is a bit gaudy. I find myself admiring the rump of their GT, I think it is.

But I've a number of Italian relatives, and they all laugh because as every car has a stereotype, they say the only people that drive them in Italy are literally pimps. LOL

I wonder what the F-Type stereotype is? In my area, I am pretty sure, I mean this, that F-Types are driven by old women.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
There's a Maserati dealership a few minutes from me, and in my town they're numerous. I really like some of their work, some is a bit gaudy. I find myself admiring the rump of their GT, I think it is.

But I've a number of Italian relatives, and they all laugh because as every car has a stereotype, they say the only people that drive them in Italy are literally pimps. LOL

I wonder what the F-Type stereotype is? In my area, I am pretty sure, I mean this, that F-Types are driven by old women.
Interesting! In my area I don't think there are enough F-Types in my area to have developed a stereotype. Almost never seen another one in the wild.

That's really funny about Maseratis being pimp cars. I feel like the pimp car here is a blacked out E or S class.

Ferraris definitely have a stereotype here though. It's retired or nearly retired men who live in the suburbs.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Was at a funeral today and at the end, my brother and I were standing next to my car talking. An older couple walked by and the gentleman stopped, got down on his knees and started staring into the front grill of my car. After about a minute, he gets up and tells his wife "No, it's not a Tercel!"

I didn't even know how to reply to that one...

Old 02-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
Was at a funeral today and at the end, my brother and I were standing next to my car talking. An older couple walked by and the gentleman stopped, got down on his knees and started staring into the front grill of my car. After about a minute, he gets up and tells his wife "No, it's not a Tercel!"

I didn't even know how to reply to that one...
Lol wut...?

Old 02-13-2016, 04:52 PM

Interesting! In my area I don't think there are enough F-Types in my area to have developed a stereotype. Almost never seen another one in the wild.

That's really funny about Maseratis being pimp cars. I feel like the pimp car here is a blacked out E or S class.

Ferraris definitely have a stereotype here though. It's retired or nearly retired men who live in the suburbs.
I can say, for all intents and purposes, that the only other F-Type in my area is an older woman's. It's a base BRG and she's not very friendly. Encountered her while in my A6 and told her I had a Salsa S. She was not interested and/or impressed. Haha

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?