F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good options to protect the bottom front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017 | 12:58 AM
|
Default Any good options to protect the bottom front bumper?

Hi all,

I am completely new to this forum as I just got my 2017 F-type last week. I love the car so far! No pictures as of yet as I want to add tints and powder coat the wheels black, which should contrast great with the silver exterior.

I have one concern as I have noticed the car is pretty low to the ground (at least compared to what I have been used to). Pretty much every driveway I go into and out scrapes the bottom of the front bumper (even if I exit "sideways").

My question is, is there any kind of plastic guard or even quality spray paint I can place on the bottom of the bumper that will protect the car while not being an eyesore?

Old 08-09-2017 | 01:36 AM
|

Found this, should have searched more prior to posting... any other comments would still be greatly appreciated.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...stions-126631/

Old 08-09-2017 | 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shayknbake
Hi all,

I am completely new to this forum as I just got my 2017 F-type last week. I love the car so far! No pictures as of yet as I want to add tints and powder coat the wheels black, which should contrast great with the silver exterior.

I have one concern as I have noticed the car is pretty low to the ground (at least compared to what I have been used to). Pretty much every driveway I go into and out scrapes the bottom of the front bumper (even if I exit "sideways").

My question is, is there any kind of plastic guard or even quality spray paint I can place on the bottom of the bumper that will protect the car while not being an eyesore?

The 3 whiskers under the front of the car serve to warn and protect. They can be trimmed with a sharp knife or sand paper to be kept looking fresh. After a couple years, when they've worn down too much you can replace. In total, they cost less than $100, and take just minutes to install.

Old 08-09-2017 | 10:52 AM

Unhingd- do you have a reputable place/link to purchase these parts for under $100? Also, any help with install would be very much appreciated for this novice! My "whiskers" are getting too old

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The 3 whiskers under the front of the car serve to warn and protect. They can be trimmed with a sharp knife or sand paper to be kept looking fresh. After a couple years, when they've worn down too much you can replace. In total, they cost less than $100, and take just minutes to install.

Old 08-09-2017 | 11:00 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Here's an old thread that includes part numbers and sources, including a recent one towards the end of the thread.:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-dings-109271/

Old 08-09-2017 | 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tdienes
Unhingd- do you have a reputable place/link to purchase these parts for under $100? Also, any help with install would be very much appreciated for this novice! My "whiskers" are getting too old
Right Side Spoiler C2P22211
Left Side Spoiler C2P22212
Center Spoiler T2R4160

I lied: it's $108 (delivered)

Rusnak Jag: https://www.ebay.com/sch/Exterior/33...ype&MYear=2016

Old 08-09-2017 | 01:12 PM

I ordered from https://envy.smartdealer.com/?DlId=106 ... which I think I found via another post so credit to whomever already posted it. It ended up being $113.06 shipped, but I had to pay sales tax since they are in my home state.

Old 08-09-2017 | 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

The 'feeler' spoilers were a great feature. Kudos for JLR for designing those. Just watch for pulling up to curbs and don't trust the sensors they'll advise you to stop post-crunch.

Back into spots whenever possible.

Old 08-09-2017 | 01:56 PM
|

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Thanks Unhingd! Yeah I took a look this morning and saw that those "whiskers" were easily replaceable. I was thinking of the sandpaper idea as well to remedy it once in a while, will do.

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 08-09-2017 | 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

I find that the plastic stoneguard scrapes quite a bit but in 18 months driving I have never hit any part of the front spoiler. I dont think it is as prone to being knocked as you might first think.

My daughter's MiTo and my mum's Toyota 86 on the other hand get scraped all the time, so I put wrap on the bottom of the spoilers.

Old 08-09-2017 | 09:56 PM

I would like to share that going up (or down) a very steep ramp may not only scrape the "feelers", but possibly raise the front bumper up and causing the headlights' front edges to dig into the bumper thus scratching off the paint, not sure if this makes sense. This happened to my car, I'll post some photos of it soon.