F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other word on a manual tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other word on a manual tranny?

There was a rumour a few months back about a manual trans F type being tested on the Nurburgring
Manual Transmission Jaguar F-Type Caught Testing On The Nürburgring: Video

Not sure if anything newer has come out to confirm or deny this rumour?

Im desperately hoping so, because this is the only holding me back from purchasing this vehicle!

Thanks guys!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Come to the Dark Side - we have shift paddles...

Old 10-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick1990
There was a rumour a few months back about a manual trans F type being tested on the Nurburgring

Im desperately hoping so, because this is the only holding me back from purchasing this vehicle!

Thanks guys!

Manuals are quickly going by the wayside as you know.

The new Z06 is hard to come by, but if want a manual you can get one ordered now. It seems more than 80% of the buyers are opting for the auto.

I don't see Jag doing the tooling for a stick, honestly.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by nick1990

Thanks guys!
You sound just like me, or at least me up until 5 months ago. I swore I would NEVER purchase an automatic sports- or GT-type car. I was absolutely a hard-core, manual transmission or nothing guy. Then I drove the F-Type with that magnificent ZF 8-speed, and I couldn't believe how good it is, or how much fun it would be to drive.

I caved, and won't be going back. It is amazing how far automatic transmissions have come. They are so much better than any human being on the planet could ever be, and when using the paddles, it doesn't take one bit of the fun out of the driving experience. In fact, it adds quite a bit and allows you to focus more attention upon driving the car the way it should be driven.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Come to the Dark Side - we have shift paddles...
Nooooooooooooooo

Originally Posted by Vette Guy
Manuals are quickly going by the wayside as you know.

The new Z06 is hard to come by, but if want a manual you can get one ordered now. It seems more than 80% of the buyers are opting for the auto.

I don't see Jag doing the tooling for a stick, honestly.
Yeah, i totally understand the way the industry is going, but there is also a great segment of enthusiasts who love the manual option!

Originally Posted by Foosh
You sound just like me, or at least me up until 5 months ago. I swore I would NEVER purchase an automatic sports- or GT-type car. I was absolutely a hard-core, manual transmission or nothing guy. Then I drove the F-Type with that magnificent ZF 8-speed, and I couldn't believe how good it is, or how much fun it would be to drive.

I caved, and won't be going back. It is amazing how far automatic transmissions have come. They are so much better than any human being on the planet could ever be, and when using the paddles, it doesn't take one bit of the fun out of the driving experience. In fact, it adds quite a bit and allows you to focus more attention upon driving the car the way it should be driven.
I appreciate your insight man, but there is nothing like rowing my own gears in my opinion.
Makes me feel more so like im orchestrating the ride, not just going along with it.
You know?

Old 10-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

For those of us that want a manual, it is a preference issue and not a performance one. The data is in, manuals are not faster. I find them more fun to drive so I like them in my cars. Still hoping the f type will come with one. Way easier to convince the wife on that than a DBS

Old 10-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Oh I certainly do know, rowing the gears is fun, and I've done it exclusively in sports cars for 40 years now, including working hard to perfect heel and toe shifting on road-racing tracks. That's why I said above that I would NEVER buy an automatic. I hated automatics, and still do for the most part. But, for whatever reasons, this transmission in this car is absolutely an equal amount of fun. This was my very first automatic in a sports car of which I've owned dozens.

I always drive it in manual mode, and the shifts with the paddles are so instant and dynamic with impressive rev-matching on the downshifts that I don't miss a manual in this car at all. It feels every bit like it is a manual transmission minus the 3rd pedal. The driver is still very involved in being at the right speed in the right gear on the right line through a corner, and this trannie just makes you better.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-30-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
For those of us that want a manual, it is a preference issue and not a performance one. The data is in, manuals are not faster. I find them more fun to drive so I like them in my cars. Still hoping the f type will come with one. Way easier to convince the wife on that than a DBS
Was looking at a couple of Astons when shopping for my car and the manual transmission wasn't particularly good. Nor was their automated manual for that matter. Aston has just switched over to the ZF for some cars and the consensus seems to be that it's a big upgrade over the prior transmissions.