Sponsored by:

Any SVR owners consider Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:24 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts
Default Any SVR owners consider Acura NSX

Just wonder if any SVR owners cross shopped the Acura NSX. Has anyone had the opportunity to do a real comparison?

Old 12-23-2016, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

NSX is $175k - $225k. So price is prohibitive. They will surely be high depreciating cars though so probably a good value in a year.

In the high range of NSX pricing would rather have a one year old Huracan.

Also wanted a 90s NSX. The new one is just too sterile. To spare the diatribe it just is not as 'fun' as any F-type.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (12-23-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I have an r. Answer would still be no.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The NSX as all other Acuras is just plain ugly. That would be the end of story for me regardless of performance. Like my wife, I'd have to look at it every day!

bigdaddy (01-29-2018)
Old 12-24-2016, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

I would add that with its over the top technology post-warranty repairs would dwarf that of an AMG or Tesla.

An F-Type could be serviced almost anywhere for 90% of its post warranty needs or general service. The tech is not that advanced and within the grasp of the average tuner/service shop.

The NSX will break the bank. Comparable to a Porsche 918 post warranty.

Five years from now when it is a $50k car people will be paying $30k just to replace the lithium pack or service the high tech motors.

Would that type of expense be worth it with the 918 or the new Ford GT - yes - they are $500k-1m+ cars, but the NSX will be a giant paperweight passed over long ago by the next higher-tech car.

2017 Acura NSX
BASE PRICE: $156,000.
PRICE AS TESTED: $199,200.
TYPE: Mid-engine, all-wheel drive, two-passenger, gasoline-electric hybrid, premium sports car.
ENGINE: 3.5-liter, double overhead cam, twin-turbocharged V-6 mated to three electric motors and lithium ion battery pack.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-24-2016 at 07:59 PM.
DGL (12-25-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

NSX actually on my wish list, I have seen it live and liked it quite a bit; but AFTER they release petrol-only version with a manual gearbox or all-electric version. Both configurations would be more desirable than its existing over-engineered state.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

From 9min mark forward, his arguments against the NSX are solid.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I considered the NSX as a possible upgrade to my S. My local dealer had a slot open for delivery last year. The configured price was about $178k. I like the NSX in concept, but they got rushed at the end of the development cycle after making some major design changes. I felt like there were a number of compromises and/or refinements they couldn't make before business pressures forced them to market. I'd agree with Burt's cautions on how the technology will hold up, as well as the comment that the original NSX is worth considering - perhaps the cheapest early supercar.

I currently have my name on the list for a GT3, but haven't done enough business on (new) Porsches to be optimistic I'll get an slot any time soon.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I had an opportunity to drive the NSX at the Honda Proving Grounds in Death Valley late last year. I have an F-Type R and not SVR. I have to say the NSX is quite amazing. I was on the wait list for several years and finally bought the F-Type R after selling my F355. Overall the NSX is very well balanced and is amazing on the track. I had it up to 154 MPH and it was rock stable. It did the twisties on the inner road track very well and didn't feel overly computerized. . Engine sounded great, but some of it is theatrics with sound being piped into the cabin like the F-Type. Personally the NSX is on my future want list. I spent maybe an hour or so total behind the wheel on the various test tracks. They let me wring it out pretty well hitting red-line each shift.

mshedden (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks like this was an old post but two members here (Ghostiest & TheStig) both bought the new NSXs. Here is that thread...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-191585/page2/

Old 01-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I have to lust after a car when I look at it to to consider buying it. I feel absolutely nothing when I look st the NSX. I am a huge fan of the original - it really looked like a Ferrari 348 challenger and actually out performed it. This one is just - meh. As the video stated, put that next to a McLaren 570S and there’s no competition.

Think the video got it spot on with the comments on the hybrid drivetrain, wasn’t necessary, should have been more GTR in concept.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car is technical acheivement, but it also represents what the future holds for us and so perfect it is, for me it : no soul, no sound...so, no car.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey OP,

I've had both cars for a while now.

I'd post a pic but phones dead (gotta charge it haha)

I'll do a pros and cons and let you know my honest opinion without mentioning the fact that I've been without my F-Type R for 5 months on an engine replacement

Jag F-Type R:

Pros:
- Exhaust noise
- Looks great
- Pretty fast

Cons:
- Uncomfortable due to tight fit
- Outdated nav systems
- Unreliable for me personally

That's about it, it's not extremely comfortable, is a pretty tight fit and was quite unreliable for me (I'm 5'10"). It's lacking in every day usage such as the bluetooth is buggy, rear camera is blurry, squeaks and rattles etc.

Acura NSX:

Pros:
- Insane amount of attention (if you like it that is) Much more than F-Type anyway
- Looks better due to rear engine layout (supercar look)
- Much more comfy with more room
- Faster, handles MUCH better, better on gas, more tech, DCT

Cons:
- Small tank and very often you got to fill it up (15.6 gallon tank I think)
- Sound is nowhere near a V8 from an F-Type, but still enjoyable (love the big turbo spooling noise)

Since I'm at work, I'll add a little bit more later!

Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I considered one after hearing about the 30k incentive. The dealers arent willing to budge any further which still makes it overpriced imo

Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The NSX, even though I was very disappointed with it when it first came out, is much different in person. Even more so after driving my friend's. The side intakes for the intercoolers are very AGGRESSIVE looking and really make the car stand out from a front view. The rear 3/4 is also aggressive and at night time looks very intimidating.

Aesthetically, even though the car isn't perfect (ie. a female designed the exterior and a man designed the interior, which is why there is no mirrors on the visors, derp?), it commands attention in person.

Also, a downpipe adds ~80hp to the car.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Junk, I would rather get a McLaren for that price.

The 570S is competing with cars that cost twice as much.

Edit: Just watched the video posted above, its says literally the same thing I did.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

There have been plenty of NSX's at $30k or more off!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Junk is kind of harsh for someone who just said they have one.

It is far from 'junk'. Just the video person's arguments were valid in my opinion.

I'll also prefer simplicity and the F-type negs listed above don't effect me - my phone is my nav/media. I'm 6' and no twiggy and I fit fine. The looks way better I'd disagree with also, but that is only personal opinion.

I am sure it is faster and handles better, no doubt. If that were my criteria I would be in a modded GTR.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Junk is kind of harsh for someone who just said they have one.

It is far from 'junk'. Just the video person's arguments were valid in my opinion.

I'll also prefer simplicity and the F-type negs listed above don't effect me - my phone is my nav/media. I'm 6' and no twiggy and I fit fine. The looks way better I'd disagree with also, but that is only personal opinion.

I am sure it is faster and handles better, no doubt. If that were my criteria I would be in a modded GTR.
Oh I don't take any offense to it. Although in the sense of the word "junk".. that's quite LITERALLY my whole F-Type R experience. The car is pretty shoddily built I got to say, and it seems like 3-4 years from now it will not age well due to lack of reliability. My tech at my local dealer said he's seen more than his share of F-Type R's with blown motors and that's only LOCALLY. No BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Acura/Lamborghini or any of the other brands I've ever owned were plagued with so many issues. Even my Range Rover Evoque loaner I put a few thousand miles on, had to be returned and swapped out due to issue with the Navigation turning on and off by itself.

I have a Huracan Performante I'm patiently waiting for currently, now if someone called that car "junk", I might be inclined to say something.

The NSX is just a replacement for the F-Type as soon as I get everything sorted.

Last edited by Ghostiest; 01-31-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:27 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostiest
I have a Huracan Performante I'm patiently waiting for currently, now if someone called that car "junk", I might be inclined to say something.
Nicee