Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part number

Originally Posted by Cambo
Attachment 210926

Attachment 210927

Attachment 210928

I checked the price on this module as a spare part a while back, it's, umm...

Just cut the rod
Do you know what it’s part number?

Old 05-21-2020, 07:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

As mentioned prior in this thread, I removed the yellow wire from the quick connect terminal to deactivate the spoiler function. It did stop the spoiler from going to the up position. However, at 100mph precisely, I get a warning the spoiler is not activated. I did not attempt to max out the speed so I do not know if the car also has a reduced limit. When the car is shut down, though, the warning signal clears until I hit 100mph again. May have to live with it. It's not like I drive 100 every day.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwelter
As mentioned prior in this thread, I removed the yellow wire from the quick connect terminal to deactivate the spoiler function. It did stop the spoiler from going to the up position. However, at 100mph precisely, I get a warning the spoiler is not activated. I did not attempt to max out the speed so I do not know if the car also has a reduced limit. When the car is shut down, though, the warning signal clears until I hit 100mph again. May have to live with it. It's not like I drive 100 every day.
I get the exact same message/warning at 100 mph.
I posted up a link to an Oz JLR recall notice regarding the spoiler operation somewhere on this forum (can't find it now!) where IIRC it talked about the speed being limited to something like 134 mph if the spoiler is not up. I haven't tested this myself!

Edit - found it, post #156 in this very thread, 135 mph: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1780383

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-21-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I get the exact same message/warning at 100 mph.
I posted up a link to an Oz JLR recall notice regarding the spoiler operation somewhere on this forum (can't find it now!) where IIRC it talked about the speed being limited to something like 134 mph if the spoiler is not up. I haven't tested this myself!
I was getting the same thing. I made a switch under the dash that I can turn the spoiler on and off as desired. Works great. Then at about +/- 100 MPH I got the yellow warning. Kind of annoying. I have since used SDD and coded out the Rear Spoiler, and now wing works normally with the switch on, and does not come up when I switch it off...But never any warnings either way.

DC

Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Spoke briefly by phone to the mechanic and he said he would call me back in a couple of days, he is really busy right now. He did say that he was pretty sure it could be disabled and he would give me the info.
I told him my personal interest is to increase the speed when it lifts to 130-135 KM. and the reason is I like the thing, but when I'm on the highway doing a steady 120 KM (limit here is 100 so anymore than 120 and 'Barney' adds to his ticket quota) the spoiler is up constantly for hours at a time and I prefer to have more rear viewing access. When I'm passing and blasting around its cool in my opinion. He was less sure about this, but thought he might be able to adjust the settings.
Will perhaps know a bit more my end of week.
Lawrence.
Yes I think it is a unique feature of our jag.
It goes up when passing slow moving vehicles on country backroads and spoiler pops up 120 km/hr in a 80 km/hr
Guilty sign lol

Old 05-22-2020, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

My spoiler is always deployed when I blast past the gendarme, usually within 12 mph of the speed limit, and I have yet to be stopped. They pay more attention to my lowered MINI.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:19 PM

Rock88, what is this SDD and is it something I can program outside the dealer.? Wiring in a switch is on my to do list if I can achieve your results.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Rock88, what is this SDD and is it something I can program outside the dealer.? Wiring in a switch is on my to do list if I can achieve your results.
SDD is Sympton Driven Diagnostics. It is the JLR Dx Software (one of them). I purchased a Mongoose (Drew Technologies or other aftermarkets available) cable and JLR offers the software free from many download sites.
It is not the most intuitive software, but I have tinkered with enough to be able to do some basic things. You can go in to the programming section and change deployable spoiler to "no"...Then it stops looking for it or throwing errors.

All moot now anyway. Just bought the JLR F-Type Fixed wing, and looks like it comes with a connector to disable it anyway Still have to get it painted first The switch was easy. I mounted mine in a pre-existing hole under the steering column area.
Got this from this forum.
DC

Old 05-24-2020, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
SDD is Sympton Driven Diagnostics. It is the JLR Dx Software (one of them). I purchased a Mongoose (Drew Technologies or other aftermarkets available) cable and JLR offers the software free from many download sites.
It is not the most intuitive software, but I have tinkered with enough to be able to do some basic things. You can go in to the programming section and change deployable spoiler to "no"...Then it stops looking for it or throwing errors.

All moot now anyway. Just bought the JLR F-Type Fixed wing, and looks like it comes with a connector to disable it anyway Still have to get it painted first The switch was easy. I mounted mine in a pre-existing hole under the steering column area.
Got this from this forum.
DC

Dwelter, before you go shelling out on SDD be warned that it's not quite as simple as DC makes out and you can very easily brick your ECU if you get it wrong.
I'll let our resident SDD expert Cambo fill in the details.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Dwelter, before you go shelling out on SDD be warned that it's not quite as simple as DC makes out and you can very easily brick your ECU if you get it wrong.
I'll let our resident SDD expert Cambo fill in the details.
Thank you for the advice Oz and will heed. I don’t mind splicing into a wire or two. But definitely not comfortable in the reprogramming computer stuff. I will be adding the on/ off switch shortly, though.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the advice Oz and will heed. I don’t mind splicing into a wire or two. But definitely not comfortable in the reprogramming computer stuff. I will be adding the on/ off switch shortly, though.
Was simply answering your direct question factually, and correctly. Have programmed many of my Porsches, BMWs, Jeeps, and now Jaguar with no issues. Do (or don't do) whatever you are comfortable with.

DC

Old 05-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Posted this previously

Kev

This jaguar link (last FAQ) refers to a wing on the SVR Compared “spoiler” on the other models.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/about-jagua...ftype-svr.html

Also a direct quote from the jaguar brochure (2016 Coupe) -
“a deployable rear spoiler rises at higher speeds to reduce lift by up to 264 lbs”

And also found this (again another direct paste from jaguar brochure) -

AERODYNAMIC SPOILER
The aerodynamic spoiler is integral to the enhanced performance of the F-TYPE SVR. Compared with the standard F-TYPE Coupe rear spoiler, the F-TYPE SVR produces more downforce but crucially less drag. The active spoiler is more elevated and wider than the standard F-TYPE Coupe spoiler, enabling it to act over the whole width of the car.

Air passes both over and under the spoiler, allowing Bernoulli's principle to act in the car's favor, faster moving air underneath the spoiler is at a lower pressure than that passing over the top, resulting in additional downforce.

The F-TYPE SVR spoiler operates in two different positions:
On the Coupe the aerodynamic spoiler deploys at 70 mph and stores at 50 mph
On the Convertible the aerodynamic spoiler deploys at 60 mph and stores at 40 mph

DEPLOYED SPOILER
When the F-TYPE SVR spoiler is deployed it increases downforce for greater stability and improved handling at top speed. In this position the spoiler gives a drag coefficient reduction of 2.5 percent and a lift coefficient reduction of 15 percent.

STORED SPOILER
For maximum top speed (V-Max), the spoiler is stored to reduce drag. It works in conjunction with the front spoiler and other aerodynamic enhancements to bring a drag coefficient improvement of 7.5 percent and lift coefficient reduction of 45 percent.

V-MAX
In order to achieve 200 mph†*3 you must consciously prepare your F-TYPE SVR. Select 'Dynamic Mode' and press the deployable aerodynamic spoiler switch for 3 seconds to enable V-Max Mode. While active, a permanent symbol appears on the instrument cluster. In this mode the spoiler remains stored at all speeds keeping drag to a minimum.

REAR UNDERFLOOR AND DIFFUSER
The smooth rear underfloor reduces drag, while the rear diffuser works with the rear underfloor to manage airflow, adding to the stability of the F-TYPE SVR.

BROCHURE LINK - https://images.jazelc.com/uploads/ga...m97-366026.pdf Page 65

The following users liked this post:
Black15FTR (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the spoiler deploys above 70mph to increase downforce when moving quickly. But to do full speed 202mph it has to be stowed. Doesn't that mean you no longer benefit from the downforce at the highest speeds (when you might need it most)? Or am I missing something?

Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
Does it strike anyone else as odd that the spoiler deploys above 70mph to increase downforce when moving quickly. But to do full speed 202mph it has to be stowed. Doesn't that mean you no longer benefit from the downforce at the highest speeds (when you might need it most)? Or am I missing something?
Yep, you missed this bit from Kdes' post: ".....keeping drag to a minimum."

Old 08-02-2023, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't thank you enough for pointing out the yellow wire to the rear wing relay. One snip and the ugly *** wing is no longer going to **** me off.I have a F Series coupe and it ruins the lines of the car and blocks the rear view.I was actually thinking of selling the car it annoyed me so much!

The following users liked this post:
SouthSider (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 06:09 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just the fact Jaguar is okay not deploying the wing/spoiler for top speed runs tells you what you need to know: it's not really needed. And it looks ugly IMO as well. I'd like to code it out like it didn't exist, including all warnings (at 100 mph, etc), but not sure if it's possible. I never mess with the stock wiring, including splicing (breaking the insulation), so for a switch, it'd have to be a fully bolt-on way of doing it.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-02-2023 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:06 PM
Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright, need to resurrect this thread...done read all the spoiler threads that might pertain to this but to no avail, only thing I don't have/can do is look for the chassis code that has been mentioned.

Bought a 2017 Base Coupe model last year and the spoiler has never worked. I thought previous owner might have disconnected things, so took it all apart and found everything still there and plugged in. Of note, when I use the spoiler button on the console, I get no light in that button at all like it's getting no power. Looking through everything I know there was discussion of F13 and that being tied to the dynamic switch however that switch and ice/rain switch work completely fine as there is a good fuse in F13. Not sure if that switch has its own connection under the console or not since I haven't seen any mention of that here at all.

I did get a chance to get the car to triple digits and never had any spoiler not available warning messages or anything like that. It's not a huge problem, but I'd love to see if I can get it working to determine if I like it or not.