F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to disable spoiler on ftype?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

That is exactly the reason it goes up at 70mph and stays up well below that so the cops cannot tell what speed you are going. It takes maybe 2-3 seconds to go from 70 to 120 mph so yes, it has to go up at 70mph at the latest for safety reasons and for Jaguar to cover their behinds.

Americans are not used to driving performance cars fast but they are sold in countries where you can. You want the "wussie" version for the US like the extra double head lights, double, huge rubber bumpers that we used to get on Porsche and MB???? Quit whining about a none issue.

Nobody pulls you on Rt 50, I95 or I97 for doing 75mph.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by rocspo
A deployed spoiler, a red flag to even the most casual observer that I am exceeding the speed limit, is not something that I, (or my license), can live with.
What a deployed spoiler actually means is that you haven't dropped below 50MPH since the spoiler deployed, not that you're currently doing more than 70MPH. (40/60MPH in the convertible.)

Old 05-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
What a deployed spoiler actually means is that you haven't dropped below 50MPH since the spoiler deployed, not that you're currently doing more than 70MPH. (40/60MPH in the convertible.)
Yes, but I think the concern is law enforcement doesn't know that or care. The convertible spoiler is much smaller and rather inconspicuous, but the coupe spoiler looks like a big red flag, which draws their attention and makes it more likely they're going to "paint" the car. Obviously, just witnessing spoiler deployment would not make the case one was speeding.

However, I don't worry about it at all on the roadster. I do agree that "big barn door" is horribly ugly deployed on the coupe and wrecks the look of an otherwise beautiful car.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

People are asking in this thread how to disable the rear spoiler.
It is not my place to question why - they should be able to do whatever they want.
Whether it be rock chips, sun glare, a visual indication of speed, or simply because they find it unattractive, it should be their choice.
I tried my best to outline the two possible paths to achieve that goal, providing more detailed information than had been offered previously. I guess it was foolish of me to also share one of the reasons why I would like to disable the spoiler, as it has earned me the labels of "wussy" and "whiner". May I remind you that you don't know me. You have no knowledge of my driving habits, racing experience, technical proficiency, or even of the other cars in my garage. While I love my F Type dearly, it is the slowest car I own, both in a straight line, and at Summit Point. Rather than whine about it, I prefer to do something about it. Some have already been accomplished - stiffer springs by H&R, a more aggressive wheel alignment, lighter wheels by Forgeline, and better Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. Others are still in the works, including the spoiler deactivation switch.
I am fully aware of when the spoiler deploys and retracts. The fact is, if the spoiler is deployed, the car has gone over 70 mph, and has not since slowed to below 50 mph. The Police Officers I know, especially those on Highway Patrol, know Exactly at what speed spoilers deploy, be it on Jaguars, Porsches, or any other car with a moveable rear wing. It's their business to know. What if you're on a road with a 50 mph limit? If you are suggesting that I keep my speed below 70, I'd rather deactivate the spoiler.
Get caught going 75 mph on Rt 50 east of the Bay Bridge, and I guarantee you'll get a ticket.
While I stand behind my speeding concerns, after further consideration, what really gets to me regarding the spoiler is that it smacks of trying too hard to be cool. The F Type already has coolness by the bucketload. It is the most beautiful new car on the road today, combined with excellent performance. It doesn't need a pop up spoiler, (which ruins its gorgeous lines), to be cool, and it certainly doesn't need one to stay on any road short of a racecourse. After all, my neighbor's Prius can cruise comfortably at 80 mph on any highway in the U.S. without the benefit of any aerodynamic aids. If you are going to track the car, you should be able to activate the spoiler at that time.
Regarding spinning the tires, I assure you that switching to Pilot Super Sports will solve the problem better than any sized spoiler could.
I thought the purpose of this forum was to answer questions, share experiences, and to help each other maximize our enjoyment of these wonderful automobiles, not to pass judgement on the priorities of people we don't even know.

The following users liked this post:
Ukprez (07-29-2020)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

It sounds like you live somewhere that makes driving quickly punitive. What are your other cars?

Old 05-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, but I think the concern is law enforcement doesn't know that or care. The convertible spoiler is much smaller and rather inconspicuous, but the coupe spoiler looks like a big red flag, which draws their attention and makes it more likely they're going to "paint" the car. Obviously, just witnessing spoiler deployment would not make the case one was speeding.

However, I don't worry about it at all on the roadster. I do agree that "big barn door" is horribly ugly deployed on the coupe and wrecks the look of an otherwise beautiful car.
I'm pretty sure the convertible has the larger spoiler?

Old 05-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_guy_2020
looks like a trashcan lid going up when you step on a trashcan pedal
Do I want a deploybale spoiler - Oh Yes!
Does the one in my R coupe look good - NO!

I think the deployable spoiler on the vert (which is more full from side to side) looks way better (not as good as it should be though). The coupe one just shows a lot of "mechanicals" that aren't pretty.

Burt Gummer (12-23-2016)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Daily driver is a 2015 Corvette Z06 Stage 3, 702 horsepower, which I will track this summer. I'll save the really fast ones for later posts. Sorry for the poor pic - best I could do just walking out to the garage - it's raining at the moment.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
It sounds like you live somewhere that makes driving quickly punitive.

Here in Maryland, feel free to drive right past smokie at 11 over, they'll pay no never mind. At 12 over, they don't play.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

What if you're on a road with a 50 mph limit? If you are suggesting that I keep my speed below 70, I'd rather deactivate the spoiler.
While doing 20 mph over the limit, you're concerned about the spoiler attracting attention?! You're right, I don't know anything about you, but i'm glad you don't live anywhere near me.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
I'm pretty sure the convertible has the larger spoiler?
I suppose it depends upon which dimension you are measuring. The convertible spoiler is wider, extending close to the entire width of the rear-end, but it's far less than half of the length of the coupe spoiler, and it doesn't extend nearly as high as it does on the coupe. Thus it's far less obvious and doesn't detract from the lines of the car as much when deployed. It looks more like a fixed spoiler seen on many other cars.

I assume that JLR decided it should be longer and higher on the coupe because of the difference in aero between the two. I'm also assuming there's an aero reason they decided the convertible should deploy at 60mph and the coupe at 70. That's why I referred to the coupe spoiler as having a "barn-door look" when deployed, since it's more "square-ish."

However, I also agree with the OP that for street use, there's likely no reason at all for a deployable spoiler, and I wouldn't mind having the ability to disable it as well. I think JLR was just trying to be 911-like. Nonetheless, it just doesn't bother me all that much on the convertible because of the entirely different design.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

When I take the car in for its oil change next week, I'm going to ask the master mechanic at the dealer if the spoiler can be cancelled out, or the speed it deploys increased.
I'm not too hopefully that he will comply.
Lawrence

Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

I checked out the installation documentation for this after-market Piecha fixed wing spoiler. It states that the deployable spoiler must be disabled to fit this unit (although it doesn't say exactly how). I assume that means it can be disabled safely.

The reason I was looking - hate the look of the deployable spoiler, and would love something better.

shift (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
I checked out the installation documentation for this after-market Piecha fixed wing spoiler. It states that the deployable spoiler must be disabled to fit this unit (although it doesn't say exactly how). I assume that means it can be disabled safely.

The reason I was looking - hate the look of the deployable spoiler, and would love something better.

The Piecha fixed spoiler looks much closer to what the convertible spoiler looks like deployed.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Get caught going 75 mph on Rt 50 east of the Bay Bridge, and I guarantee you'll get a ticket.
I can vouch for the fact that is most certainly true! You're probably right about Maryland Highway Patrol officers knowing the deployment speeds, but I still think just seeing the spoiler more often causes them to clock a car, since they need that evidence to make it stick.

Very nice Z06! I had the C6 version, and it was a monster on a road course track.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i wouldnt mess with the spoiler. the last thing you want at high speeds is your nose to be lifted and not getting full traction on the front wheels. it will make it feel unsettled and unbalanced

Old 05-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
i wouldnt mess with the spoiler. the last thing you want at high speeds is your nose to be lifted and not getting full traction on the front wheels. it will make it feel unsettled and unbalanced
That's not how aerodynamics works.

anonymousjagman (07-11-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
That's not how aerodynamics works.
It certainly isn't

It's purely for downforce on the rear wheels to maintain better traction at very high speeds. However, it really isn't necessary for street use in the U.S., except for illegal speeds which are grounds for license forteiture.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I've been previously corrected that the spoiler doesn't actually produce downforce, it reduces lift. Pretty much the same thing, but not quite. Not that I have to tell that to an FAA guy...

Quick Reply: any way to disable spoiler on ftype?