Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to disable spoiler on ftype?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Lobster Runners have fully tested functionality.
1) I plead the fifth.
2) Having had more than my share, and here in the states, I don't think using the word crayfish is ever appropriate. It's crawfish or mudbugs but never, ever, crayfish. So I learned a very long time ago.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-22-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
1) I plead the fifth.
2) Having had more than my share, and here in the states, I don't think using the word crayfish is ever appropriate. It's crawfish or mudbugs but never, ever, crayfish. So I learned a very long time ago.
Yep, crawfish in your neck of the woods, but down here, especially in South Australia, the Southern Rock Lobster is known as crayfish. They grow to 18 lb, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasus_edwardsii
In a bad season the price can go to $50 a pound, and that's for the whole critter not just the meat/tail.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

As a kid, I knew them as crawdads and have heard of them referred to as mudbugs in the deep south...but we digress.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-22-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like these posts are getting pretty old. Anyone out there still interested in a clean fix for overriding the spoiler? Local dealer was willing to print out the wiring diagram but it is little cryptic. For those that have permanently disabled the system, have you noticed or tested the speed limiter kick in at any speed above 100??

Old 02-23-2018, 03:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still interested...

Old 02-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by terp
Looks like these posts are getting pretty old. Anyone out there still interested in a clean fix for overriding the spoiler? Local dealer was willing to print out the wiring diagram but it is little cryptic. For those that have permanently disabled the system, have you noticed or tested the speed limiter kick in at any speed above 100??
Not sure exactly what you mean "clean fix for overriding the spoiler", but what I would like is for it to be reprogrammed so that it can be raised or lowered at will using the console button, whether stopped or going and regardless of speed. In theory that shouldn't be too hard but even our resident guru on such things - Cambo - doubts it can be done.
I have done "over 100" (cough) a couple of times, only briefly, and no messages appeared and no speed limiter kicked in, it was still pulling strong when I backed off. Maybe a hidden property of the VAP tune?????

Old 02-23-2018, 03:37 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Not sure exactly what you mean "clean fix for overriding the spoiler", but what I would like is for it to be reprogrammed so that it can be raised or lowered at will using the console button, whether stopped or going and regardless of speed. In theory that shouldn't be too hard but even our resident guru on such things - Cambo - doubts it can be done.
I have done "over 100" (cough) a couple of times, only briefly, and no messages appeared and no speed limiter kicked in, it was still pulling strong when I backed off. Maybe a hidden property of the VAP tune?????
you mean like uk spec models because I can raise and lower the spoiler at will from the console button albeit if its lowered and I hit 70mph it raises

Old 02-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by terp
I used OzXFR's method and there are no issues over 100. You just get a message that pops up on the dash for a couple of seconds that says "Spoiler Not Available".

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
you mean like uk spec models because I can raise and lower the spoiler at will from the console button albeit if its lowered and I hit 70mph it raises
Mine is an Oz model which I assumed would be identical to UK spec, but now I'm not so sure.
Before I disabled the spoiler I could raise or lower it with the button only if the car was stopped, or going less than about 5 km/h ("cleaning mode").
Otherwise it automatically raised once I hit around 113 km/h and then automatically lowered again once the speed dropped to around 80 km/h.
Once driving I could not raise or lower the spoiler otherwise and the button did nothing.
What I would really like is complete manual control with the console button at all times and all speeds and zero "auto up" or "auto down".

Old 02-23-2018, 03:58 PM

I see

can definitely raise and lower mine whilst driving. But it will always auto raise,,
Cant remember what happens if I manually raise go over 70mph then drop below 50mph if it stays up or auto lowers.

I'll Check tomorrow

Old 02-23-2018, 04:24 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

The raise/lower feature while driving is a feature of convertibles in the US (at least early ones), but I don't think any coupes have had that ability. Never noticed if top up/down matters.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:51 PM

for ozXFR

UK spec coupe, spoiler can be manually raised at any speed right up to the Auto deploy speed from the console switch.

If spoiler is manually raised it will remain deployed even if you hit greater than 70mph then drop below 50mph. It has to be lowered manually.

the only thing I haven't tried as yet is manually lowering the spoiler whilst it has been auto deployed to see if it remains closed. Current weather conditions are stopping me as its snowing heavily

Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
for ozXFR

UK spec coupe, spoiler can be manually raised at any speed right up to the Auto deploy speed from the console switch.

If spoiler is manually raised it will remain deployed even if you hit greater than 70mph then drop below 50mph. It has to be lowered manually.

the only thing I haven't tried as yet is manually lowering the spoiler whilst it has been auto deployed to see if it remains closed. Current weather conditions are stopping me as its snowing heavily
Hmmm, I wonder why the Oz spec operation is different? Nanny State regulations maybe, we have literally millions of them here, the traditional Aussie common sense approach has been well and truly killed off by government busybodies over the years.
How yours works is way better than mine but still not ideal, as I said before complete manual control via the button and no auto anything is how I reckon it should work.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 PM

I agre or at least give us the option to auto deploy or switch to manual. Ive been caught out under heavy acceleration ie foot planted to the floor by the spoiler deploying. it alters how the car handles

Old 02-27-2018, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Hmmm, I wonder why the Oz spec operation is different? Nanny State regulations maybe, we have literally millions of them here, the traditional Aussie common sense approach has been well and truly killed off by government busybodies over the years.
How yours works is way better than mine but still not ideal, as I said before complete manual control via the button and no auto anything is how I reckon it should work.
I truly like the auto-up feature at 70mph. I don't want to be distracted by having to punch an extra button when I'm high-tailing it into the 3 digits.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:07 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_guy_2020
Hello, I read in another post on this forum that the spoiler can block some rear visibility. I've heard others state that the spoiler looks a bit awkward. So is there a way for me to disable the spoiler from being deployed? I'm assuming the spoiler gives a very slight performance enhancement and disabling its deployment will not impact the safety of the car?

see towards the end of this thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-121672/page2/

kev

Old 03-01-2018, 08:30 PM

Ok, I think I've got the wiring figured out. Tested the set-up today and it seems to work, but I want to install the switch and road test it before I go to the trouble of documenting everything. Unfortunately I have to head out of town for a week or so. When I get back I'll tackle figuring out how to post pictures etc. That might be harder than the modification. Any help in that area appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Question for those who have disabled the spoiler....

If you have to raise the spoiler to access the spoiler motor, how do you get the spoiler back down after you have disabled it?

Old 03-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Force...

Old 03-02-2018, 08:52 AM

I'm working upstream of the spoiler. This is a simple wiring mod. with an aux switch on the console. When I get back in town I'll attach photos and "how to's".

Quick Reply: any way to disable spoiler on ftype?