F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone consider an AMG C43 or C63 before buying their F type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 09:02 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Anyone consider an AMG C43 or C63 before buying their F type?

Just curious. Since I've had such a hard time finding my F type here in Kansas City (yes, I'm being picky and pickings are slim), I've started looking at other sporty coupes, as a 'possible' alternative for my next daily.
I have to be honest, the search has been frustrating and some recent youtube videos and some research have me considering the Mercedes AMG C43 or C63. II hope to test drive one this weekend. The C43 would be better for me as a daily as its AWD for our Kansas City winters, but that C63 sure is sexy.
Both models, used, can be had for about the same price as a well specked F type. On paper, the C43 is very similar in horsepower with even more torque than the S. The C63 is close to the R in HP and torque as well.
Did anyone here consider the either of these models prior to purchasing their F type? What was the final determining factor that swayed you to the F type?

Old 01-15-2021, 10:43 PM
xmo
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

When I bought my F-Type in July, there weren't a lot of alternatives at the price point. The 911 cars in stock at the local Porsche dealer were much more expensive. I did look at the Mercedes inventory. They had one high end AMG. I think it was a GT. It was north of $136,000.00.

I guess a Mercedes would be OK if you want to blend in. Car guys would recognize that your car is something special but there are so many Mercedes models. To most people your high end purchase looks just like the neighbor's C class. Around here, an F-Type is as rare as a Ferrari. You get a lot of attention.

What are you looking for in a F-Type? The Omaha dealer has 2 '21 'R' convertibles. One is Santorini Black Metallic and the other is Svo Premium Palette Orange.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (03-08-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

A simple answer: No.
why? Well, since I wanted a fast, comfortable, very fun, very satisfying, quite rare, and above all, beautiful car at a more or less reasonable price/value point, the F-Type was the obvious choice. All of that plus the Jaguar feel-good factor. There us something intangible about a Jaguar, just about any Jaguar, that no other car seems to have. It is what makes you always, always look back at it after you have parked it; it is what makes you smile when you get into it. It is what makes you spend inordinate amounts of time in the garage just looking at it.

Lowpass (01-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 02:28 AM
Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

sov211,

Couldn’t agree more....

Old 01-16-2021, 03:20 AM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Really they are all good cars for the money so can’t go wrong. Head will say Merc for practicality and technology but heart will say Jag everyday of the week. So much more fun to drive the f type. Brings out the little boy in all of us.
Basically ask yourself the traffic light stop test.
If you pull up to the lights in your Merc next to a f type are you going to be left wondering what it would be like to drive the f type.
Conversely if you pull up to the lights in your f-type and there is a Merc next to you are you wondering the opposite.
I know I wouldn’t care if I was next to a c63

Last edited by Borbor; 01-16-2021 at 03:41 AM.
Burt Gummer (03-08-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

The c63 (prior to the twin turbo 8) sounded epic, better than the Jag 8 IMO. But the looks are pretty meh, and looks are very important to me.

But back to the question, it did cross my mind to buy one in a very fleeting way. Not my cuppa but I dont knock them.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Just curious. Since I've had such a hard time finding my F type here in Kansas City (yes, I'm being picky and pickings are slim), I've started looking at other sporty coupes, as a 'possible' alternative for my next daily.
I have to be honest, the search has been frustrating and some recent youtube videos and some research have me considering the Mercedes AMG C43 or C63. II hope to test drive one this weekend. The C43 would be better for me as a daily as its AWD for our Kansas City winters, but that C63 sure is sexy.
Both models, used, can be had for about the same price as a well specked F type. On paper, the C43 is very similar in horsepower with even more torque than the S. The C63 is close to the R in HP and torque as well.
Did anyone here consider the either of these models prior to purchasing their F type? What was the final determining factor that swayed you to the F type?
If you are looking for just about any specific configuration F-TYPE, you will need to do a nationwide search. Limiting your search to the Midwest will be unlikely to net you a find given the few number of F-Types in that region (or any for that matter).

Mbourne (01-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 09:36 AM
Received 179 Likes on 50 Posts

Along with my f-types, I have also owned a w205 c63 AMG-s coupe, and now a w204 c63 Black Series.

The w205 c63 had a twin turbo v-8 with 503hp, and was fully loaded with tech and comfort creatures (surround cameras, HUD, CC brakes, heated & cool seats, etc.). It rode harsher than my f-types and was not as quick off-the-line against my v8-s. The exhaust sounded deeper than the f-type but has less pop and crackles. The 8-speed gear box in the f-type is faster on up and down shifts in manual mode, but are they about the same in auto mode.

The w204 Black series has the naturally aspirated 6.2 engine with 510hp. The car is also fully loaded and include the track package with aero kit. The car ride firms but not as harsh a she w205. The sound is deep with a loud rumble, and a high scream up top. I prefer this sound over the f-type for its varied tones but wish the over-run pops (it has some) is a bit more prominent. The gear box is slow on upshift (in manual mode) when compared to the w205, and definitely against the 8-speed box in the f-type. It has the best steering feel in all of the cars I’ve ever owned.

From my experience, the AMGs feels more well put together than my f types. There is a solidity to the components that sometime feel lacking in my Jag. The interior design and materials also feel richer. However, the Jag looks more special (at least to the w205) and is faster than all of the AMGs I have. With Jaguar’s well known depreciations, the F-type is also a better value. Service cost, insurance cost, and reliability has been the same for the two brands.

If I only have one car, the w205 c63 AMG would be my choice as it fast enough, luxurious enough and still has a useable trunk and 4 seats. The creature comfort and makes it a great daily driver. But for a 2nd or 3rd car in the garage, I would pick a v-8 f-type. It looks, sounds, and drive like a car that costs way more.

I have never considered a 43 AMG.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Yay! This topic is right up my alley. I came from a w204 c63 and now own a ‘15 f type R.

the w204 c63 is the best looking generation in my option. It’s low key and doesn’t scream attention. Most people will think you’re driving a regular c-class. It’s a very good sleeper. You can daily drive it without any hassles. The interior is top notch and the sound rivals the f type R. I prefer the R though.

the w205 did not appeal to me at all hence why I made the switch.

Burt Gummer (03-08-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Somehow, the standard MB Artico leather (read: vinyl) and the ipad stuck on the top part of the dash plus the clunky styling (yes, taste is an individual thing) put just about any MB off my list. I prefer real leather (and even the base F-Type uses real leather plus Alcantara) and resent that MB tries to pass vinyl off as anything but vinyl) and I appreciate beautiful, classic styling. The F-Type will still look beautiful in 30 or 40 years because simple elegance is always beautiful. (Pardon the redundancy of that statement; design elegance is always simple). Very few MB creations pass that test, the Gullwing being a notable exception.

Try this: look at a photo of, say, a 1973 XJ6 in comparison with a 1973 MB 280 (I had one). One has beautiful flowing lines and one looks like a tank:

Or, consider a late 1940's Mk IV or 1950 Mk V, or a 1950's XK 120, 140 or 150, or a 1960's Mk 2 or a 2007 XK or any E-Type or....you get the idea quite quickly. They looked gorgeous when introduced, and they still do - because elegance never fades:

The Mk IV:

An XK140:

A 1966 Mk 2:

A 2007 XK:

Every one of them an example of automotive art.
If an automobile is more that just a go-fast toy, then it makes a statement about the owner and his/her tastes. Every time I see a Nissan Juke I wonder why the owner did not consider something a bit easier on the eyes....

Last edited by sov211; 01-16-2021 at 04:18 PM.
007XKR (01-18-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

I don't see the AMG C43 or C63 in the same shopping list as the F-Type. The main is the number of seats. I see cross shopping those with cars like the BMW M3 & M4 as well as the Audi counterparts (S & RS models of their 5 & 6 lines).

Granted, there aren't a lot of 2-seaters in the price range of the F-Type. The Mercedes AMG GT is typically quite a bit pricer. The Porsche Cayman S is on that I cross-shopped myself. Actually, due to how much I dislike the local dealership, I almost bought a white Cayman S instead. 911's, even though they have a backseat, have also been cross-shopped by a lot of people, but the way they hold their values means you'd have to look at a much older model for a similar price (compared to prices of used F-Types). The Mercedes SLC and SL roadsters are in the same range of the various F-Type pricing.

You have to ask yourself, what are you looking for? Are you looking for something that "looks expensive" for a certain price? Are you wanting something that is a 2-seater? It appears you are looking for something of a status symbol but with AWD to be able to use in the winter. I would also recommend checking out the used market for the Audi S5. My wife has a first generation A5 (actually, the very first A5 in this area) and it has no issues with any weather we have in this area. Even with its age, there is very little wear on the interior which is a testament to Audi's quality. There are many cars out there and they are all good. You have to make a determination what specifically you want. For me, I wanted a 2-seater (as I had at the time, a BMW M3). That narrowed down my choices.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:22 PM
xmo
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So many great choices these days. This is a golden time before hoards of autonomous electric transportation modules take over.

Pick something fun and enjoy. If you pick wrong, you can always change anytime. It may cost you but at least it's not like choosing the wrong girl. With the wrong car, you won't come home to find your clothes on fire in the front lawn.

Mercedes builds some classically good looking cars too:

Last edited by xmo; 01-16-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Issue with image
Old 01-16-2021, 06:02 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I cross shopped Porsche 911s, Audi R8s and V8 Vantages (though lack of AWD made the last one a little pointless).

Mercedes, Audi and BMW make some great ‘Q’ cars, but I wanted something special, that everyone knew was a little special.
Probably says something about my automotive show off side. Otherwise I’m a bit of an introvert.

The Mercs popped up for a few searches, as I know they would be great drives, but frankly so was my Lexus Coupe.

Living in the Midwest, I know your pain re finding the right car. I kind of got around this, by monitoring US wide Cars.com, Autotrader.com, Cargurus.com, carsoup.com on a daily basis. I decided that a car a thousand miles away at a Jag dealer should be okay.
I’ve ended up buying one in DE and I’m in MN.

Being patient has landed me a 1 owner car, originally supplied by the selling dealer, serviced by them and with certified status and extended Jag warranty.

I still need to pick it up, but I’m trying to make that part of the fun buying process. My son is going to come with me and spend some time together having fun on the drive, listening to some books on tape and 1 on 1 quality time.

At the end of the day, what works for you (car wise), probably won’t work for others and visa versa.
Mercs are cracking cars, but asking on a Jag forum, will probably land you with a biased answer.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:43 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I did. Looked for the older C63 AMG with the new N/A V8 before it went turbo. Couldn't find one that met my criteria.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

i never noticed the 63 or 45 amg's till after i bought the F type but had i known about them before i would have taken both for a test drive.
personally i like the look of both of them and the prices are good too.
BUT
i've always had jags and will always have jags and the F is about the most gorgeous car out there.
i looked nationwide for about a month before i found what i wanted 900 miles away and took a road trip with a good friend to collect it.
i paid $40k beforehand without seeing it in person (which is nervewrecking) but im glad i did and the drive home was just BLISS
im also a bit of an introvert so getting used to the attention is a life lesson.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:06 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't have an F but an XJL. I think it has a lot to do where you live. Here in Wake County, NC Mercedes, BMW and Audis are like cockroaches and rats. Everybody has one. When I decided I wanted a so called premium car I wanted something that was different than other people. I am not impressed with German cars.. They can't even spell styling and the interiors for the most part are junk. I worked at a BMW dealership recently for about a year before I full retired and one of the shop foremen admitted to me that modern BMWs for the most part are junk. The Germans have not done themselves any favors by building 1 an 2 series BMWs and C class Mercedes. You would have a much better and more reliable car with a competitor. You just have a Toyota Corolla with a Tri Star. I say get whatever you want as long as you don't send the bill to my house.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:16 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

AMGs are fantastic cars, dynamically comparable to the equivalent f type trims. You couldn't go wrong with either tbh.

In terms of aesthetics, the f type is in a class of its own IMHO

Old 01-18-2021, 03:20 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I own both. The c43 sedan is my daily driver. It's a nice comfortable car with reasonable performance. My fun car is a '16 F type R. Very different experiences

Old 01-21-2021, 01:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Yes absolutely

Test drove 2019 2020 c43 and 63. S

settles with the 2015 Jaguar F Type R (RWD).

Best ****ing car ever. Most fun. You won’t regret.

side note.. I have taken many Mercs.. to Gapplebees.

Burt Gummer (03-08-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 03:01 PM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't believe I just saw this thread.

I am a 2019 C63S owner and I'm looking to pick up a SVR as a second car.

To be honest, the F-type had not really been on my radar at all until I test drove one. The exhaust sound blew me away and I knew I wanted to own one for a bit.

They are very different cars however, hence why I'm not selling the C63S. I have the sedan and it's a much better all-in-one daily. The technology in it is definitely better and I prefer the interior design. The SVR is very quick, and given the AWD far faster from a dig, but to me the C63S feels faster. The AMG 9-speed auto is much better than the ZF in the Jag which is kind of sluggish. And I believe once both cars are going, the AMG might be faster - (look at 0-150mph tests in Car and Driver)... not surprising though given similar horsepower but the Mercedes is lighter since it is RWD. I have no comment on driving dynamics as living in straight-line TX, I did not get to do any serious curves in my test drives. I do enjoy the oversteer in the C63S.

It all doesn't matter much though, the exhaust on the F-type completely sold me. This is a car with CHARACTER and that reason is also why I chose the C63S over the M3/RS5. I'd like to own something like this with a good old fashioned big displacement V8 before all the cars turn into muted hybrid turbo 4's...

As for looks, from the front I actually prefer the facelift C63S, mainly because the vertical Panamericana grille looks pretty mean and the car stands out from the regular C-class. The F-type is a bit more subtle from the front, not that it's a bad thing. From the back, F-type wins hands down, especially with the SVR wing and diffuser.

Here are some pics of my AMG:

Quick Reply: Anyone consider an AMG C43 or C63 before buying their F type?