F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone considering buying a 2nd F type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 08:31 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Anyone considering buying a 2nd F type?

I just recently bought a ‘16 V6S AT coupe with 45k as a daily driver and I’m still in my honeymoon phase but I have this desire to buy, in a year or 2, another F Type and just keep it in the garage.

This is probably the last gas sporty car jag will make and I think I’ll be a classic after it gets discontinued in the next 3-4 years. But regardless, this car is very special to me, more so than any other vehicle I’ve owned or driven.

I’ve had a V8 RR and it’s a beast and I know that engine in a F type is insane but for a daily driver I wanted a decent MPG this time around so a V6S was a good compromise for me. I’m up to about 450hp with 22/23 MPG so I’m VERY happy with that.

But if I did get a 2nd F type, it would probably be a R or SVR. And maybe it’ll be a vert.

Anyone else looking at this from the same perspective?

Old 03-07-2021, 09:16 AM
Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

My first was a very low mileage 2015 S I bought from a dealer. I traded it on a 2020R as I wanted the 8along with a few of the other differences.
My intention is to keep it after the lease for the reasons you mentioned. After all these years I still consider it one of the best looking cars at any price. Also the driving experience will never be duplicated in an EV.
This maybe similar to what people were feeling as the 60s came to a close and cars were being neutered and the designers followed suit with bland vehicle designs.

im just happy I’ve lived the majority of my enthusiast years during petrol HP wars.

Spring is just around the corner!

Old 03-07-2021, 09:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

The 2nd one would have to be a convertible. If I were to own two, it would be a V6S convertible RWD (AT or MT) with summer tires and an AWD R coupe with all season performance tires. And I’d drive both of them...

The following users liked this post:
Robtrt8 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:50 AM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Two of the same car seems ridiculous to me, tbh. It's not like you need a breeding pair...

If you want a more 'special' f type, I'd pick up an svr and trade your v6 in on a civic.

Last edited by Hell Cat; 03-07-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hell Cat
Two of the same car seems ridiculous to me, tbh. It's not like you need a breeding pair...

If you want a more 'special' f type, I'd pick up an svr and trade your v6 in on a civic.
why ridiculous? Trading in a V6 for a civic seems ridiculous to me. The svr would be a car that I’d baby, enjoy on the weekends and pass on to my kid while I could enjoy the V6 on a daily basis. I see this car (especially the SVR) being even more highly desirable when it’s replaced with an electric motor.

I know a number of people who have multiple 911, vettes, and rolls. They’re all slightly different but essentially the same car.

I think you’re missing the point.

Last edited by datriani; 03-07-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I considered (more of a passing thing) a second XKR, as my wife loved the XKR and it had quite a lot of room inside, even seats in the back for emergencies, but the crappy stereo/infotainment put me off. I had a very fleeting thought of getting a manual F Type (around 2017 model) as a fun car. I'd be better off trading mine for one (if they are around) but the colour/spec of my car is exactly what I want and I couldnt stand going backwards in that department. But really by the time I found one, did the wheels, pulley and tune and exhaust to it, it would owe me $100K plus and be worth probably $80K so I didnt think about it for long.

When my daughter leaves home and frees up a car space I will be able to get my fun/project car, but the F Type is not practical enough as it will need to be something to take to the hardware store and get bulky things. At the moment I am thinking of an S Cargo, although I've seen a few Daihatsu Midget II's in Japan, they look fantastic.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I think you’re missing the point.
I must be. If it makes you happy, go for it.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Doesn’t everyone?

The following 9 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Brock (03-08-2021), DJS (03-07-2021), ferrral (03-07-2021), giomgio (03-08-2021), handy727 (03-07-2021), Jim F (03-07-2021), Mbourne (03-07-2021), sov211 (03-10-2021), takeapieandrun (03-09-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-07-2021, 04:52 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh Lordy! A manual V6S, please. Or a manual 911 S. Or maybe that 400z thingamajig when it comes out. If only I had room in the garage... Hmmm, maybe buy a 1 BR cottage with a 4 car garage once the kids fly the coop.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I would definitely get my wife a coupe if she wanted it, there is a very low mileage, loaded P300 at our dealer now that I would trade the Maser for but she is not interested.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

I’ve thought about it often. Love my 2014 V8S Vert and never plan to sell it. I’ve often thought about getting a manual coupe to go along with it, but SWMBO would likely kill me....or demand her own Porsche which I refuse to do on principal

That said if I did get a second convertible it would be the Project 7 because it’s special.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

The prices of early F-types will start to bottom out around 2025. While there are no certainty that they will ever go up in value, at the very least you won't overpay.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:16 PM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I've often played with the idea of one day picking up an R coupe to complement my MT 'vert. RWD, if possible.
I'm attracted by the unadulterated violence of that machine. Not enough to forego a clutch pedal, however.
It probably won't happen. But, one never knows...

Old 03-08-2021, 07:16 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably not. Only on the virtue that I don't like owning the same car twice; I'm not rich so I can only own so many cars in my lifetime, why not try something else?

Old 03-08-2021, 07:28 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
The prices of early F-types will start to bottom out around 2025. While there are no certainty that they will ever go up in value, at the very least you won't overpay.
2025? I distinctly remember hearing they would bottom out in 6 months.......in the spring of 2020?

The following users liked this post:
jetsetter883 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

lol the prices have actually increased over here due to covid supply issues. I think I could get more for my car today than I could have 2 years ago.

But I can remember the post "...there will be no toilet paper...there will be no food...there will be no oxygen...but one thing there will be a lot of, is f types"

Old 03-09-2021, 05:22 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

I just bought my 3rd F-TYPE.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

No cheating, Mr. Tail of the Devil.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Sorry for the long post....

I think there's another member on this site who in a previous life owned a Vintage/used musical instrument/guitar shop and chimed in about the market and it's ups and down. Having followed the used/vintage guitar market for 30+ years, I agreed 100% with them. Basically, as soon as it bottoms out, it will rebound.... all supply and demand. Today, we have many options for F Type (used, new and all the variations) and other similar cars, so the price slowly creeps down as people sell their current F type and maybe get a newer one or a different car.

As soon as Jaguar stops making the petroleum F type, I'm pretty sure a good number of people who have one at that time will say "I'm holding on to mine," the used market will slowly dry up and we'll start to see more and more "WTB" ads for this car. At this point, we'll see a few folks list an astronomical price for the car and eventually someone with deep pockets will bite and that'll set precedence for the next set of sellers. We'll see prices you'd never thought you'd see for this car. Give it some time and we'll see the market flooded with used F types at a higher than normal level. But as the market realizes, there's only a handful of people willing to pay that crazy price, the price will start to creep down and bottom out again because you'll have F Type listed for months. This will oscillate back and forth several times and each time the highs and lows will be less dramatic until it finds a sweet spot. Once it finds it's sweet spot, this car will follow the broader used market ups and downs just like vettes, 911, etc.

With this in mind, keeping my 2016 V6S as a daily driver for as long it will last is my goal because I love this car. I'm not a collector but someone who enjoys driving this car as much as I can. However, buying a 2019/2020 SVR in 2-3 years.... right before JLR goes all electric and/or gets ride of the F type all together is a strategy to hold on to a piece of history and a potential investment (I know cars are a horrible investment and it's hit or miss sometimes but we're putting an educated guess together on this) but to also pass it down to the next generation in my family. I think the E-type received the same praise as the F type when it hit the market and with relatively limited production, it's very sought after car now. For those who say this is impossible or ridiculous to speculate, you probably said the same thing about the old Supra, RX-7, and many other classics. Even if it doesn't go up in price, it's still a pretty amazing car to drive and hold on to regardless of market value. With everything we know about this car and the overall general love for the F type, it has a high potential of being that 1 in 100 that is worth talking about 20-30 years from now.

Jaguar's status and reputation hasn't changed much in 60 years, essentially appealing to the same economic demographic throughout this time and I would say that in 20-30 years, I doubt that will be diluted in anyway. The last set of F types they produce will be highly regarded and will potentially have a cult like following.

As much as I like driving my F type, it does have some road damage that it's incurred, door dings, etc. Having a pristine SVR that never gets parked in a parking lot next to a POS while it only get's driven on the weekend at the track or on a winding road in the mountains to get some enjoyment out of this beauty is enough for me to justify the price AND having 2 of the same car (but different models). V6S with 23 mpg for a daily drive and V8 with 575 HP for the weekend.

I guess I convinced myself that this makes sense so the larger question is, since the newer F type seem to be slightly neutered compared to the older versions, year after year, what would you say is the ideal year for an SVR? '18, '19 or '20?

Old 03-14-2021, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I have been toying with the idea getting a '15 R in poor condition, and building it into a toy. Strip the interior and sound system, replace with racing buckets and aluminum panels. 6 or 7 speed Tremec. All the performance, weight, suspension and brake upgrades done to my S. BUT.....NO GARAGE SPACE left to even just to work on it.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering buying a 2nd F type?