Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone considering buying a 2nd F type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 01:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
Sorry for the long post....

I think there's another member on this site who in a previous life owned a Vintage/used musical instrument/guitar shop and chimed in about the market and it's ups and down. Having followed the used/vintage guitar market for 30+ years, I agreed 100% with them. Basically, as soon as it bottoms out, it will rebound.... all supply and demand. Today, we have many options for F Type (used, new and all the variations) and other similar cars, so the price slowly creeps down as people sell their current F type and maybe get a newer one or a different car.

As soon as Jaguar stops making the petroleum F type, I'm pretty sure a good number of people who have one at that time will say "I'm holding on to mine," the used market will slowly dry up and we'll start to see more and more "WTB" ads for this car. At this point, we'll see a few folks list an astronomical price for the car and eventually someone with deep pockets will bite and that'll set precedence for the next set of sellers. We'll see prices you'd never thought you'd see for this car. Give it some time and we'll see the market flooded with used F types at a higher than normal level. But as the market realizes, there's only a handful of people willing to pay that crazy price, the price will start to creep down and bottom out again because you'll have F Type listed for months. This will oscillate back and forth several times and each time the highs and lows will be less dramatic until it finds a sweet spot. Once it finds it's sweet spot, this car will follow the broader used market ups and downs just like vettes, 911, etc.

With this in mind, keeping my 2016 V6S as a daily driver for as long it will last is my goal because I love this car. I'm not a collector but someone who enjoys driving this car as much as I can. However, buying a 2019/2020 SVR in 2-3 years.... right before JLR goes all electric and/or gets ride of the F type all together is a strategy to hold on to a piece of history and a potential investment (I know cars are a horrible investment and it's hit or miss sometimes but we're putting an educated guess together on this) but to also pass it down to the next generation in my family. I think the E-type received the same praise as the F type when it hit the market and with relatively limited production, it's very sought after car now. For those who say this is impossible or ridiculous to speculate, you probably said the same thing about the old Supra, RX-7, and many other classics. Even if it doesn't go up in price, it's still a pretty amazing car to drive and hold on to regardless of market value. With everything we know about this car and the overall general love for the F type, it has a high potential of being that 1 in 100 that is worth talking about 20-30 years from now.

Jaguar's status and reputation hasn't changed much in 60 years, essentially appealing to the same economic demographic throughout this time and I would say that in 20-30 years, I doubt that will be diluted in anyway. The last set of F types they produce will be highly regarded and will potentially have a cult like following.

As much as I like driving my F type, it does have some road damage that it's incurred, door dings, etc. Having a pristine SVR that never gets parked in a parking lot next to a POS while it only get's driven on the weekend at the track or on a winding road in the mountains to get some enjoyment out of this beauty is enough for me to justify the price AND having 2 of the same car (but different models). V6S with 23 mpg for a daily drive and V8 with 575 HP for the weekend.

I guess I convinced myself that this makes sense so the larger question is, since the newer F type seem to be slightly neutered compared to the older versions, year after year, what would you say is the ideal year for an SVR? '18, '19 or '20?
I can only speak to a 17 SVR, but it is tremendous fun to own. I'm sure the later MY are just as great, but if you are going for long term collector's "desirability factors" I think the earliest ones seem to be perceived as producing the most aggressive sound.

That being said, using potential appreciation for even partial justification of this purchase seems hilariously optimistic, unless you lock the thing in a hermetically-sealed vault for 50 years. I love my SVR, but I'm under no illusion it's going to be anything other than a depreciating asset for my foreseeable lifetime. And I'm ok with that; I enjoy using the damn thing. And if for some reason I'm wrong (it's happened before), it'll be a pleasant surprise.

As long as you haven't convinced yourself it's a brilliant financial manuever, buy another one to rub with a diaper. Or three. Who knows, maybe it will be worth something when your grandchildren inherit it. If you can afford it and it brings you pleasure, who cares what anyone else thinks. If ROI is your primary concern, you're better off with some index funds. Or even dogecoin.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I have been toying with the idea getting a '15 R in poor condition, and building it into a toy. Strip the interior and sound system, replace with racing buckets and aluminum panels. 6 or 7 speed Tremec. All the performance, weight, suspension and brake upgrades done to my S. BUT.....NO GARAGE SPACE left to even just to work on it.
I'm actually toying with this idea with my current car when some of the interior/exterior components start wearing out. Would be interesting to see just how light you could get one of these.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Hell Cat
It's not like you need a breeding pair...
Damn. I wanted the kittens.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:47 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Like I said, I know the chances of this car being worth something in the future is a long shot but of the cars out there, this one has a higher probability than most but even that's not the reason why I'm considering getting a second variation. It's for all of the other reasons stated.....

Old 03-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
Damn. I wanted the kittens.
The kittens from the union between your F Type and F Pace is the XE. Handles like the F Type, rides like the F Pace, practicality about mid way. Fantastic car, we love ours though it would have been nice if it continued with the 6.

The following users liked this post:
uncheel (03-16-2021)