F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To anyone on the forum that's buying a car nationally and needs transport

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to hear you got an upgrade! And interestingly enough I may have a V8s going from west coast to Boston next week. I should probably call your guys to see if they are empty on the way back.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
Good to hear you got an upgrade! And interestingly enough I may have a V8s going from west coast to Boston next week. I should probably call your guys to see if they are empty on the way back.
Upscale was adamant that going from West to East is waaaay cheaper than what I'm doing so I would hold them to it. They'll prolly tell you the opposite but he went so far as to give me previous examples of rate differences so it will be difficult for him to weasel out of his statement. I'm learning to trust the industry less the more I deal with them.

What are the two zips. Ill call him and make him deliver on his claim. Bear in mind that I'm going from dealership to terminal and saved $150. Term to term was cheapest.

Or you can call if you want.

1888 808 1724, Bert's my guy.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-25-2016 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kitesurfer (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:09 PM

Yes I've heard west to east is cheaper - but these guys are all crooks. No exceptions. I know a car broker and he's going to write a book titled "101 lies transporters tell you"

Old 05-25-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I've heard west to east is cheaper - but these guys are all crooks. No exceptions. I know a car broker and he's going to write a book titled "101 lies transporters tell you"
I've used upscale four times in two years, only because their rate is always best...by many hundreds. This is actually the first issue I've ever had with them in terms of a missed promise. I am very curious to know exactly how my car got bumped into an enclosed unit but I'm sure if I ask, Upscale will take full credit for the upgrade, and say they did it as a courtesy for being late so there's really no point even making the inquiry. At the end of the day, A transport company is only as good as the insurance they carry.

If you can work it out to get a backfill from my enclosed drop off, (coordinate the dates) I'm sure we can get you a screaming rate. You may need to get the car to Fremont. I'm not sure if the driver is hitting LA or not. Where is the car coming from (city).

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:16 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I got my car from Herb Chambers Jaguar Sudbury. Herb is a self-made billionaire, and owns something like 50 dealerships in the Boston area. From all I've heard, he's a great guy, but I'm not impressed with my dealership.

He's also good friends with Wayne Carini, if you ever watch Chasing Classic Cars. Did an episode on his long-lost Ferrari Daytona, which he totaled back in the 70s or 80s. Found the car, bought it, and restored it.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I got my car from Herb Chambers Jaguar Sudbury. Herb is a self-made billionaire, and owns something like 50 dealerships in the Boston area. From all I've heard, he's a great guy, but I'm not impressed with my dealership.

He's also good friends with Wayne Carini, if you ever watch Chasing Classic Cars. Did an episode on his long-lost Ferrari Daytona, which he totaled back in the 70s or 80s. Found the car, bought it, and restored it.
Interesting that he owns a Jag dealership but sold my car through his BMW wing...

And at $1000 below wholesale. His R was $5k cheaper than I could get the same car locally here in the Bay Area (we are the highest market pricing by far) This car in LA would also be $4-5K cheaper as well. Too much tech money in my area to find a deal from any dealership. Can only hope to find a private seller who is in need of money.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM

I called and spoke with Chris. He said because pick up and drop off are out of the way the charge would be $1650. Keep in mind these guys don't own the trucks and simply log onto a system and sign up a driver. I doubt there is any way he could connect with your driver to take mine on the return trip, assuming there is a return trip. Thanks for the tip though- always good to get a quote from another reputable shop.

Good luck with your vehicle - it's a beauty! White coupe looks pretty amazing and the two tone seats are the best combo IMHO.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

I called and spoke with Chris. He said because pick up and drop off are out of the way the charge would be $1650. Keep in mind these guys don't own the trucks and simply log onto a system and sign up a driver. I doubt there is any way he could connect with your driver to take mine on the return trip, assuming there is a return trip. Thanks for the tip though- always good to get a quote from another reputable shop.

Good luck with your vehicle - it's a beauty! White coupe looks pretty amazing and the two tone seats are the best combo IMHO.
Thanks. Try again. Talk to Bert. Tell him you know me. Tell me Berts quote.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Default Bert

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Thanks. Try again. Talk to Bert. Tell him you know me. Tell me Berts quote.
Bert said $1400 enclosed. Think you can get him to do better? The other guys are already giving me the run around with the typical lies. They don't yet have a driver so I'm game with going with someone else.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Bert said $1400 enclosed. Think you can get him to do better? The other guys are already giving me the run around with the typical lies. They don't yet have a driver so I'm game with going with someone else.
Tell me your name and pick up city? I'll call Bert for you.

By the way, what's the relationship between the broker and the carrier in terms of fees? Upscale charges me $100 AND THE BALANCE IS TO BE PAID TO THE DRIVER UPON ARRIVAL.

If the $100 deposit is the fee to the broker, then why would they have any skin in the game in terms of the overall rate?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-27-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:36 PM

The good news is my car was picked up Monday and is currently making its way across country. Thanks again for the offer to help.

Cheers!

Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Default Still waiting...

Car currently still in Illinois state limits on way to SF/Bay Area.

Car picked up from Boston on the 20th. Promised to me in 6 days or the 26th. Car sits in NJ terminal for 6 days without moving. The modified arrival date is sometime before Memorial Day. Just called yesterday and now projected arrival is as late as the 8th.

Raised holy hell to the transport company itself, not Upscale. Upscale just as pissed as I am (unless it's a great act) Bert promises to get my rate reduced for the delay. Said he'd call me back yesterday with discount amount.

Crickets.

This is the game people play with transport. Always muddy as to whose to blame. The silver lining is that I'm now at $875 for Boston>SF ENCLOSED trip, with an undisclosed discount to be anticipated. It would be easy to say cheap can be bad but at the same time, the broker and I are at the mercy of the driving company.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-01-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Default Driver?

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Car currently still in Illinois state limits on way to SF/Bay Area.

Car picked up from Boston on the 20th. Promised to me in 6 days or the 26th. Car sits in NJ terminal for 6 days without moving. The modified arrival date is sometime before Memorial Day. Just called yesterday and now projected arrival is as late as the 8th.

Raised holy hell to the transport company itself, not Upscale. Upscale just as pissed as I am (unless it's a great act) Bert promises to get my rate reduced for the delay. Said he'd call me back yesterday with discount amount.

Crickets.

This is the game people play with transport. Always muddy as to whose to blame. The silver lining is that I'm now at $875 for Boston>SF ENCLOSED trip, with an undisclosed discount to be anticipated. It would be easy to say cheap can be bad but at the same time, the broker and I are at the mercy of the driving company.

I'll keep you posted.
I hope they come through within a reasonable amount of time. Have you been in contact with the driver? I stopped communicating with the broker once the transportation company agreed to the deal. I figure the broker now has no control and will tell you what you want to hear. All of my communication has been direct with the driver and he's been great to deal with. But a lot can happen between now and delivery date - there are other cars which need to be dropped off before mine and my guess is as the load lightens he's probably trying to pick up cars along the way. Car is scheduled to be delivered on Monday the 6th but on the bright side if it's delayed a day or two I don't mind because they are saying rain on Monday around here.

Keep us posted on your status. Hope they get it to you soon. Or can at least give you accurate updates on where it is and when it will be delivered.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Good Luck. Hope they come through with the new date. I know it stinks but hopefully for all the delays you're getting a good discount and saving a good amount of money. Good Luck!