F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from a 5.0 litre XKR to F-Type V 8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone go from a 5.0 litre XKR to F-Type V 8?

I have a 2010 XKR and am thing of trading it for a 2014-15 F-Type V8. I'd be interested in any of your experiences and thoughts.

The main thing I've noticed in test drives is that the F-type is a little tighter fit. I'm 6'2" and about 200 pounds. I don't track my cars any more.

I've also shopped 2013-14 Mercedes SL 63 AMG. Awesome performance, but the styling doesn't do it for me.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I went from a 5.0 V8 XFR with a pulley and tune to a V6 F-Coupe (with VAP tune and soon to be lower pulley).

Definitely a lower to the ground experience (getting out is more fun than getting in) but at the moment I'm not missing the $20K difference for the two extra cylinders (I will now put my fingers in my ears during the no-replacement-for-displacement chant).

The exhaust notes and lack of rear seats keep me happy at the moment :-)

Old 06-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I did the same, but for the v6S which I think in the real world is quicker than the 5.0 XKR, at least to 120kph or so. Over here the R would have been another $80K. One of my clients traded his XKR (the centenary edition or whatever - white with black bits) for an F Type R. He was a bigger guy, maybe your size. I asked him about the change and especially the comfort. He said yeah, the F Type isnt as comfortable as the XKR but you forget all about that after a few days.

I found the F Type seats a lot harder than the XKRs. I think the hard ride is more from the seats than the suspension. After 5,000km or so, the seats have softened up so that the ride is very good, even on sub par roads.

The car is snug inside, but not tiny. I can fit nearly as much in the hatch space as I could in the XKR, albeit with the spare removed, I find the cabin pretty pleasant, though I'm just on 6 foot and maybe 180lbs. It isnt as roomy as the XKR and I thought I'd miss it but dont. The pano roof helps, I think.

It was hard getting out of the XKR because it is such a great all round car with great looks and usable space. I actually found the media and tech a nuisance in the XKR which prompted me to look at the f type, and the sound, transmission, steering and handling of the f type (and the far better media in the '16 model) convinced me.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I agree, I'm 6' and 205lbs and would say snug rather than tiny. The pano roof in the coupe does make a great deal of difference and I'm glad mine has that option. I have the performance seats and find them comfortable enough even with 20" wheels and no adaptive suspension.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I'm another one who moved from a tuned XFR to a tuned F-Type V6S.
The F-Type is a tighter fit but I've gotten used to it and it's perfectly OK once seated. I'm 6' and 210 lb.
Getting in and out is a bit of a hassle, it's a lot lower than the XFR was, but I'm now used to it.
The F-Type definitely rides a bit harder and firmer than the XFR, but as long as the suspension is set to "normal" rather than "dynamic" it's not too bad.
As for performance, the F-Type is just as quick as the XFR was up to around 100 mph, then the extra power and torque of the V8 would pull away from the V6S F-Type.
Handling wise the F-Type is much more planted and nimble.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I swapped a 2011 XK for a 2014 F-Type S V-8 Convertible and I have been happy.

However, I am 5'10" and 160#.

I had a Sky Redline prior to the XK so I was used to a car that sits very low to the ground.

Obviously, I do not miss the back seat since the back seat on the XK was all but useless.

The XK was a coupe and I thought I could live with that but after a couple of years I had to go back to a convertible.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I was considering an XK, after my XF SC V8. I found the seat to be a tighter fit front to back in the XK than in the f type.