F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have an F-Pace SVR and an F-Type? Or moved from an F-Type to an F-Pace SVR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Anyone have an F-Pace SVR and an F-Type? Or moved from an F-Type to an F-Pace SVR?

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts. Still driving the F-Type as much?

Asking as I have neither but am likely to buy both, and not sure which to get first. The obvious move would be to get a used V6S and then, in time, a used F-Pace SVR. This is partly influenced by the age of the cars they'll be replacing.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:45 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew0068
I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts. Still driving the F-Type as much?

Asking as I have neither but am likely to buy both, and not sure which to get first. The obvious move would be to get a used V6S and then, in time, a used F-Pace SVR. This is partly influenced by the age of the cars they'll be replacing.
This doesn't answer your question but I recently drove an E-Pace and aside from the V6 being inaudible it was the best SUV I have driven. I have not driven an F-Pace.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I'm sure someone on here has both, it has come up before and he chipped in and gave a bit of a comparison.

Really, a lot of bang for your buck in Oz, pretty much half the cost of a F Type SVR and you are getting twice the metal.

EPace is probably quiet because they are a 4 potter. The 221kw is the biggest engine that they have. I wasnt a fan of the ride and handling myself, the XE does it a lot better IMO.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I'm sure someone on here has both, it has come up before and he chipped in and gave a bit of a comparison.

Really, a lot of bang for your buck in Oz, pretty much half the cost of a F Type SVR and you are getting twice the metal.

EPace is probably quiet because they are a 4 potter. The 221kw is the biggest engine that they have. I wasnt a fan of the ride and handling myself, the XE does it a lot better IMO.
Thanks. I did a search in this thread (and on Google) and couldn't find anything You are correct about half the cost: Central Coast Jag in Gosford have a demo F-PACE SVR driveaway for ***trigger warning***North Americans please don't read the following numbers*** for $149,730. But, it's that blue-that-you-can-see-from-the-moon color.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers, I'd have one in that colour though I think the F Pace looks best murdered out.

From memory the owner said that the F Pace SVR sounds better than the F Type R, is very nice to drive, and handles really well for a SUV.

Personally I'd wait until the F Pace gets the icontrol touch duo treatment which makes the centre stack in the existing look a bit dated but I am probably not typical.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

From memory the owner said that the F Pace SVR sounds better than the F Type R, is very nice to drive, and handles really well for a SUV.
I have just got back from the local Art Of Performance Jaguar driving day and got to drive and listen to an F Type SVR and an F Pace SVR and the F Pace wins on the aural stakes. Obviously the F Type is better to drive!

We also got to do a drag race between the F Pace SVR and an I Pace and it was pretty close but, man, the F Pace sounds good!

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
BruceTheQuail (11-22-2019), Chawumba (11-23-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 04:38 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

This was discussed in another thread

I’m in the market to trade my m3 comp for something more comfortable, and a big motor suv is what I’ve decided on given state of our deteriorating road surfaces in my area

since that thread,I got to overnight an f pace svr and did a fair bit of driving over a whole heap of roads - our coarse chip highways, twisty roads, the daily work run in morning and honestly I think it’s pretty much the perfect suv. The seating position puts you low down with the high waistline and centre console making it feel exactly like a sports sedan, you don’t sit on it looking down over bonnet like most SUV’s but rather sink into it. The handling/turn in may not be stelvio qv scalpel sharp, but the ride quality is better, and of course engine is more characterful. Likewise x3m which was just way too harsh on our roads - I’m getting out of my m3 because I’m over the nvh, and here is bmw taking an suv and making it even firmer, I think m is lost atm

my only gripe with f pace has nothing to do with the actual car but rather my own - really its the fact that I already have the same drivetrain in my f type, so switching bw daily’s wouldn’t really provide a different enough experience, sitting behind the wheel, the actual steering wheel and switchgear is same, if it had the current JLR dash and trim it’d at least feel different enough I think, but then the f type may feel really dated. As a rule I try to really vary my 2 daily garage

im surprised JLR still haven’t facelifted the f pace, it’s their volume seller after all

i was set on buying a track hawk ever since having one for a week in vegas, and still am planing to go that route when we can finally order my20 here in Australia - it’s inferior to f pace, x3m and stelvio qv in outright handling, about on par with f pace in comfort, but i have to be honest about how I’m going to use it, I won’t be getting off the couch on a school night to go for a hill run, but in the Greta era I still have to have a big characterful motor while I still can, and that hellcat motor is the biggest and baddest of them all

a lot of these fast SUV’s are failing imo - manufactures are making them way too stiff to try make them handle like a sports sedan on race tracks where 99.9% of owners will never use them. F pace svr does a great job of not being overly firm and still having all the theatre of a v8

the f pace svr is the easiest and most convenient way to get access to that ajv8 while it’s still on sale. As long as you’re going to use the car within the confines of what physics allow, you can’t go wrong

first thing I’d do is body colour all the exterior trim around guards and lower body

Last edited by domino_z; 11-24-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:42 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Personally I'd wait until the F Pace gets the icontrol touch duo treatment which makes the centre stack in the existing look a bit dated but I am probably not typical.
as per my post above, agree 100%

But I doubt the ajv8 will last ever tightening emission regs by time a they facelift it - last I read they were going to facelift the XF next, and there’s barely any mules getting around yet

emission/noise regs already killed all the crackle on over run in the current car

the other option is the svo velar, though imo the velar interior can’t quite stretch to 190-200k, it’s priced itself out of class

Last edited by domino_z; 11-24-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by u102768
I have just got back from the local Art Of Performance Jaguar driving day and got to drive and listen to an F Type SVR and an F Pace SVR and the F Pace wins on the aural stakes. Obviously the F Type is better to drive!

We also got to do a drag race between the F Pace SVR and an I Pace and it was pretty close but, man, the F Pace sounds good!

Nice, I'm going to (the Aussie equivalent) this week!

The following users liked this post:
u102768 (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by domino_z
emission/noise regs already killed all the crackle on over run in the current car
Yep, governments are driving all car makers out of business. The war on cars continues to be lost
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by RacerX; 11-24-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,836 Posts

What's ultimately going to 'kill the car culture' is young people who don't care to get a driving licence, own, insure and maintain a car or giant SUV.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NBCat
What's ultimately going to 'kill the car culture' is young people who don't care to get a driving licence, own, insure and maintain a car or giant SUV.
That is a huge factor. We need to ban their smartphones, first. Smartphones are a huge unwanted load on the grid and a CO2 emissions nightmare. Everyone doesn't need to carry around their own TV and computer, it is irreponsible and wasteful.

scm (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z
This was discussed in another thread

I’m in the market to trade my m3 comp for something more comfortable, and a big motor suv is what I’ve decided on given state of our deteriorating road surfaces in my area

since that thread,I got to overnight an f pace svr and did a fair bit of driving over a whole heap of roads - our coarse chip highways, twisty roads, the daily work run in morning and honestly I think it’s pretty much the perfect suv. The seating position puts you low down with the high waistline and centre console making it feel exactly like a sports sedan, you don’t sit on it looking down over bonnet like most SUV’s but rather sink into it. The handling/turn in may not be stelvio qv scalpel sharp, but the ride quality is better, and of course engine is more characterful. Likewise x3m which was just way too harsh on our roads - I’m getting out of my m3 because I’m over the nvh, and here is bmw taking an suv and making it even firmer, I think m is lost atm

my only gripe with f pace has nothing to do with the actual car but rather my own - really its the fact that I already have the same drivetrain in my f type, so switching bw daily’s wouldn’t really provide a different enough experience, sitting behind the wheel, the actual steering wheel and switchgear is same, if it had the current JLR dash and trim it’d at least feel different enough I think, but then the f type may feel really dated. As a rule I try to really vary my 2 daily garage

im surprised JLR still haven’t facelifted the f pace, it’s their volume seller after all

i was set on buying a track hawk ever since having one for a week in vegas, and still am planing to go that route when we can finally order my20 here in Australia - it’s inferior to f pace, x3m and stelvio qv in outright handling, about on par with f pace in comfort, but i have to be honest about how I’m going to use it, I won’t be getting off the couch on a school night to go for a hill run, but in the Greta era I still have to have a big characterful motor while I still can, and that hellcat motor is the biggest and baddest of them all

a lot of these fast SUV’s are failing imo - manufactures are making them way too stiff to try make them handle like a sports sedan on race tracks where 99.9% of owners will never use them. F pace svr does a great job of not being overly firm and still having all the theatre of a v8

the f pace svr is the easiest and most convenient way to get access to that ajv8 while it’s still on sale. As long as you’re going to use the car within the confines of what physics allow, you can’t go wrong

first thing I’d do is body colour all the exterior trim around guards and lower body
Thanks for the detailed analysis. At the moment I'm really torn between buying an F-Type or an F-Pace SVR. Going on a Jaguar Australia drive day on Friday so that may help the decision process

Old 11-25-2019, 02:43 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

At the moment I'm really torn between buying an F-Type or an F-Pace SVR. Going on a Jaguar Australia drive day on Friday so that may help the decision process
If you want grace and pace, F-Type. If you want grace, pace and space, F-Pace. Easy choice!

Dan_NL (11-29-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 06:29 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
That is a huge factor. We need to ban their smartphones, first. Smartphones are a huge unwanted load on the grid and a CO2 emissions nightmare. Everyone doesn't need to carry around their own TV and computer, it is irreponsible and wasteful.
Yeah! Someone get that damned Greta Thurburg in here right now to explain herself and her bloody generation

Old 11-25-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by scm
If you want grace and pace, F-Type. If you want grace, pace and space, F-Pace. Easy choice!
Now that you put it that way...love your turn of phrase

Old 11-25-2019, 02:36 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Now that you put it that way...love your turn of phrase
Thanks, but it's not my phrase - it is, or was, Jaguar's advertising slogan.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Thanks, but it's not my phrase - it is, or was, Jaguar's advertising slogan.
They probably wouldn't be interested in the name I gave the F-Pace: The Jaggernaut.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:51 PM

I've now driven the F-Pace SVR and F-Type R back to back on the race track and I can say that:
- in a straight line the SVR is almost as fast (judged by max speed at the end of the main straight)
- the SVR sounds slightly better as it thunders past
- the SVR can fit our family of three and is a lot cheaper
- the F-Type looks better
- I've been lusting after an F-Type since launch

Still confused in other words

I also drove a new XE on the road - very impressive. Likewise, I drove an I-Pace on the road - faaast, but it didn't make me reach for my wallet. I also went for a 'hot lap' with a professional driver in a V6S (P380) and, in reality, it was plenty fast enough and handled remarkably well.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Lol, we have the 2020 XE and I really love driving it. Did you get to drive the v6S on the track? I am biased of course but I think it is more fun than the R on a small track, or at least I can get more out of it.

Quick Reply: Anyone have an F-Pace SVR and an F-Type? Or moved from an F-Type to an F-Pace SVR?