F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a Jaguar dealership perform a used car inspection before?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone have a Jaguar dealership perform a used car inspection before?

I just purchased a 2017 F-Type R from Carvana. The car was located in California for most of its life and Carvana shipped it to me in Indiana. I have 7 days to decide if I want to keep the vehicle.

I want to get the car inspected at a local Jaguar dealership. A co-worker who recently purchased a used porsche took his porsche to a porsche dealer and they were able to get all types of information from the cars computer such as how many times it hit the redline, including what gear it was in when the redline was hit. I talked to a service advisor and it sounds like this information is also obtainable from our Jags, but he doesn't know what all is included in the output and it would be another $160 on top of $250 for the inspection.

Has anyone viewed the data that the service advisor is mentioning? Is the amount and quality of information worth an additional $160 in your mind?

Old 09-09-2020, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I wasn't aware that this information was preserved for our cars. I paid for an inspection of my own car after some repairs to be sure it would still be certifiable as CPO, even though I had no intent of selling. My recollection was that it was more than $250. Just a moment and I'll check my records ... yes, CPO inspection was $360 at my dealer. I got the however-many-point inspection report, but nothing like that.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by whostorm05
I just purchased a 2017 F-Type R from Carvana. The car was located in California for most of its life and Carvana shipped it to me in Indiana. I have 7 days to decide if I want to keep the vehicle.

I want to get the car inspected at a local Jaguar dealership. A co-worker who recently purchased a used porsche took his porsche to a porsche dealer and they were able to get all types of information from the cars computer such as how many times it hit the redline, including what gear it was in when the redline was hit. I talked to a service advisor and it sounds like this information is also obtainable from our Jags, but he doesn't know what all is included in the output and it would be another $160 on top of $250 for the inspection.

Has anyone viewed the data that the service advisor is mentioning? Is the amount and quality of information worth an additional $160 in your mind?
if you’re near Indianapolis, that would be a Tom Wood owned dealer and that are not the best. I couldn’t get info in my car that was under warranty and serviced there. I just wanted to keep updated records in the even I sell, but getting them to do anything was a struggle. As far as an inspection goes, I have looked at a couple CPO vehicles from there that were super rough - they might do an inspection but I assure you that they will charge for every single thing they do and anything they look at - even if it’s a visual inspection.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
if you’re near Indianapolis, that would be a Tom Wood owned dealer and that are not the best. I couldn’t get info in my car that was under warranty and serviced there. I just wanted to keep updated records in the even I sell, but getting them to do anything was a struggle. As far as an inspection goes, I have looked at a couple CPO vehicles from there that were super rough - they might do an inspection but I assure you that they will charge for every single thing they do and anything they look at - even if it’s a visual inspection.
It is indeed Tom Wood. I have some previous experience with them from a previous Jag and a Land Rover. Sadly around here they have a monopoly on Jaguar factory service. I'm not sure how far I'd have to drive to go elsewhere.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

There are a couple well regarded import shops in the area, only one I know that has a jag tech - for my aftermarket, I use them and they do used car inspections for quite a few local dealers. I’m pretty picky and I will use them when I can but all factory work goes to dealer. Ive has quite a few poor experiences there but I did interact with the service manager who was very nice and most recently had a Volvo service writer in for my regular jag guy and he was awesome. You can send a PM if you want names etc. good luck.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:35 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by whostorm05
It is indeed Tom Wood. I have some previous experience with them from a previous Jag and a Land Rover. Sadly around here they have a monopoly on Jaguar factory service. I'm not sure how far I'd have to drive to go elsewhere.
I just had Tom Wood do an inspection on my XK. $250.
Seems like they can pull service records, but I was surprised their details don't even match up with Carfax. I called the last Jag dealer in Buckland that worked on my car per Carfax to get details. I didn't get much from them either.

Last edited by StiggyMac; 10-05-2020 at 12:40 PM.