F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone hear this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default anyone hear this noise?

It's a blend of a rattle and a rubbing sound. Not loud at all, just audible enough to be annoying. It seems to be coming from just behind my head on the left, maybe from the opening in the panel where the seat belt retracts. Only 3800 miles on the car.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I had an irritating sound that you can find more about in the middle of this thread: Rattling rear hatch cover - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum My sound recording is there too, so you can check if it sounds similar. Towards the end of the thread, you can see what the dealer did to fix it. May not the same as yours, but I thought I'd mention in case it is.

Please note that my sound issue and fix had nothing to do with rear hatch cover as the thread name suggests. I should have posted my problem in a separate thread but I didn't.

Last edited by jm717; 02-05-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Coupe or convertible?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Default forgot to mention

It's a coupe. And I don't use the hatch cover.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Frenchy, I have a noise coming from the same spot. Kind of a light rattle... I heard it on on my '15 Base and I also hear it on my '16 R Coupe. I would love to get to the bottom of it. It's a little annoying.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:17 PM

Annoying indeed, MI-FType. And the only imperfection on an otherwise perfect car.

I'm not scheduled for service till the summer, and my dealership is not close. Do you plan on taking your car in to have them look at it? If so, could you please keep me posted?

I'm thinking it's something in the spring assembly that retracts the belt.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Annoying indeed, MI-FType. And the only imperfection on an otherwise perfect car.

I'm not scheduled for service till the summer, and my dealership is not close. Do you plan on taking your car in to have them look at it? If so, could you please keep me posted?

I'm thinking it's something in the spring assembly that retracts the belt.
Could be... it does sound like it's coming from the belt assembly. It's not a constant sound though. I notice it more on small bumps.

I will mention it when I go in for my first service (late summer), but it hasn't bothered me enough to schedule a special trip.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it possible that it's simply a directional illusion of the air intake by the steering wheel?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My '15 coupe makes that noise too. Sounds like plastic panels rubbing together by the seat belt reel.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:03 PM

Liamgo, has your service department taken a look/listen? If not, any plans to ask them? I'd be interested in what they say.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jm717
I had an irritating sound that you can find more about in the middle of this thread: Rattling rear hatch cover - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum My sound recording is there too, so you can check if it sounds similar. Towards the end of the thread, you can see what the dealer did to fix it. May not the same as yours, but I thought I'd mention in case it is.

Please note that my sound issue and fix had nothing to do with rear hatch cover as the thread name suggests. I should have posted my problem in a separate thread but I didn't.
No one seems to have paid attention to this post, but perhaps you should if you have a similar noise.

Pertinent post from jm717 below:

Just got my car back from dealer today, and they fixed this issue for me. All done as a warranty repair and I am happy to report that my squeaking/tapping sound is gone. What was done is below (excerpt from $0 invoice):

22293 BODY FLEX AT LEFT LOWER B PILLAR TO STRUCTURE FASTENERS TEST DRIVE WITH CHASSIS EARS ON LR SPRING, SWAY BAR, SHOCK, LOWER CONTROL ARM, & ROCKER PANEL, REMOVE TRUNK INTERIOR PANELS TO ACCESS SHOCK, REMOVE LOWER DOOR SILL CLADDING AND TEST DRIVE, LOOSEN B PILLAR FASTENERS AND INSTALL STRIP CAULK BETWEEN PANELS TO ISOLATE NOISE, TORQUE FASTENERS TO SPECS, TEST DRIVE, REPLACE LEFT DOOR WEATHERSTRIP

They located the problem and fixed it, so I'm a happy camper. I think it was in the area where b-pillar meets rocker panels. Just wanted to let you know that in case someone else experiences something similar.

The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
F-Type400 (06-08-2019), Mbourne (02-06-2016), Unhingd (02-06-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Liamgo, has your service department taken a look/listen? If not, any plans to ask them? I'd be interested in what they say.
Dropped it off on Friday for the noise among other issues. I'll let you know.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 15 base coupe makes this noise too. I was at the dealer three times and they always said, they don't hear it. I really think they ignore it and simply hope I will give up.
I think they will win, because if you have heard three times that they have heard nothing
you give up because you feel like somebody who search a hair in a soup, as you know what I mean.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No one seems to have paid attention to this post, but perhaps you should if you have a similar noise.

Pertinent post from jm717 below:

Just got my car back from dealer today, and they fixed this issue for me. All done as a warranty repair and I am happy to report that my squeaking/tapping sound is gone. What was done is below (excerpt from $0 invoice):

22293 BODY FLEX AT LEFT LOWER B PILLAR TO STRUCTURE FASTENERS TEST DRIVE WITH CHASSIS EARS ON LR SPRING, SWAY BAR, SHOCK, LOWER CONTROL ARM, & ROCKER PANEL, REMOVE TRUNK INTERIOR PANELS TO ACCESS SHOCK, REMOVE LOWER DOOR SILL CLADDING AND TEST DRIVE, LOOSEN B PILLAR FASTENERS AND INSTALL STRIP CAULK BETWEEN PANELS TO ISOLATE NOISE, TORQUE FASTENERS TO SPECS, TEST DRIVE, REPLACE LEFT DOOR WEATHERSTRIP

They located the problem and fixed it, so I'm a happy camper. I think it was in the area where b-pillar meets rocker panels. Just wanted to let you know that in case someone else experiences something similar.
Yes, I had the same issue about 4 months ago. Had to take it back twice, but resolution was same as what Foosh has listed here. Warranty fix, no cost.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM

Liamgo, I'm just getting back to the forum after a few days away, so this suggestion probably comes too late. Anyway, my problem, and no doubt yours as well, are NOT from a rattling hatch cover. I don't use my hatch cover. The noise is from further aft, just behind left ear.

I'm hoping that the solution won't require major surgery, as the hatch cover problem did. I'd probably live with it rather than allow rhem to start removing panels.

What did your service techies say?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:17 AM

To make it clear. The noise in my base coupe has nothing to do with the hatch cover. It is
behind the left ear, exactly as Frenchy describes and even I think, it comes from the belt assembly. If somebody has found a solution of this problem, please keep us informed. As I wrote is my dealer no in the position to handle or fix it. Or, as I think, he just ignores it.
Thanks!

Old 02-16-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by akki05
To make it clear. The noise in my base coupe has nothing to do with the hatch cover. It is
behind the left ear, exactly as Frenchy describes and even I think, it comes from the belt assembly. If somebody has found a solution of this problem, please keep us informed. As I wrote is my dealer no in the position to handle or fix it. Or, as I think, he just ignores it.
Thanks!
My problem was nothing to do with hatch cover, but was resolved by removing the interior trunk lining, reseating some fasteners, cladding with some vibration suppressing cladding and closing up again. Much like Foosh's report describes. The noise was like a buzzing vibration coming from right behind my right ear (I have a RHD car). I was almost certain it was to do with seatbelt assembly - it was not.

I concur with Foosh's earlier post - no-one seems to be paying attention to his solution to your problem, nor my last post.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by akki05
Thanks!
See posts #11 and #14. It's not coming from the seat belt assembly, but body flex at the B-pillar behind your ear. The thread linked in post #11 contains a sound recording, which will probably confirm that for you.

The fix is also known to JLR, and all you have to do is print and hand that to your dealer.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-16-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a blend of a rattle and a rubbing sound. Not loud at all, just audible enough to be annoying. It seems to be coming from just behind my head on the left, maybe from the opening in the panel where the seat belt retracts. Only 3800 miles on the car.

I have the exact same issue on brand new R Coupe, from 30 miles when I picked it up till now at 500 miles.

It's really annoying! Great car otherwise

Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 PM

Thanks OzRisk and Foosh. The sound recording you mean has nothing to do with the noise in my car but I will take a last try with my dealer. Would be nice if it works. If not, I will live with it.

Quick Reply: anyone hear this noise?