Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone here debadge their f-type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
There is an air of coolness to debadging. You have a $100k car but you don't like to brag .....
I'm relatively new to the performance car world. But honest question-

Our personal preferences and anecdotes aside, it seems like 95% of debadged cars on the road are simply lesser models trying to masquerade that they're not a lesser model. The only debadges I see, seem to be Infiniti, Lexus, BMW where the driver wants people to think their 335 is actually an M3.

So the question is, am I mistaken? I thought the debadges were generally used to make the car look like it was worth more than it is, and not the other way around?

I think I asked this in some other form in this thread, but don't believe conversation started.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

I don't know about that; around here most debadgers seem to be the guys that modify their cars and most of them seem to be the younger import crowd. Debadging usually seems to go hand in hand with window tint, darkened lenses, etc. Normally I'm not a fan of debadging but I may remove my S badge because IMO, Jaguar totally dropped the ball with the naming conventions on these cars and I'm tired of people asking whether my car is a V8 or a V6......if it said V8S, I'd probably leave it. Yes the exhaust gives it away but only to those in the know.

By simply using just an "S" on both the V6 and V8's and then by changing the V8 F Type badging to "R", they've made the V8 cars with the S badge confusing to most. I won't put an "R" badge on my car even though I'll be running at 575hp but I may well ditch the "S" on the back. I'm definitely leaving it off the front when I install my P7 grill and surround.

In the musclecar world, the opposite happens: people ADD the performance badging to base models all the time; there are now more Camaro Z28's or Chevelle SS's than were ever built!

2 cents,
Dave

Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I don't know about that; around here most debadgers seem to be the guys that modify their cars and most of them seem to be the younger import crowd. Debadging usually seems to go hand in hand with window tint, darkened lenses, etc.
I modify my cars, but am not of the "younger import crowd." I modify because I'm never satisfied for long and because no one builds exactly what I want.

I took off the "JAGUAR" lettering but left the logo, and took off the "F-Type" lettering but left the "S". Badges should be accents or subtle identifiers, not billboards. To that end, I still have mine identified as a Jaguar (but not spelled out) and an "S" but the body itself is all the "F-Type" identity necessary.

Also, for the record, I think darkened taillight lenses are stupid. Not in the sense that they look bad, but that making it easier to get rear-ended is stupid.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (01-13-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I modify my cars, but am not of the "younger import crowd." I modify because I'm never satisfied for long and because no one builds exactly what I want.

I took off the "JAGUAR" lettering but left the logo, and took off the "F-Type" lettering but left the "S". Badges should be accents or subtle identifiers, not billboards. To that end, I still have mine identified as a Jaguar (but not spelled out) and an "S" but the body itself is all the "F-Type" identity necessary.

Also, for the record, I think darkened taillight lenses are stupid. Not in the sense that they look bad, but that making it easier to get rear-ended is stupid.
Ditto! My response would have been identical on all counts.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

in my experience the aspirational with lower spec cars de badge to confuse
and the modifiers de badge to surprise the chosen victim at the lights.

In the early 80's I drove a left hand drive VW Golf that had been converted to take a 928 powerplant and transmission, no badges and car was actually widened not lengthened. So when you pulled up beside the victim at the lights they thought it was just a little normal golf, no badges to suggest performance

Uncle Fishbits (01-12-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo

Sure, that's why I said "around here" and "most"....there are always exceptions. I often modify my stuff but if I change anything on my F type regarding badging, it will be my first time.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 01-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Sure, that's why I said "around here" and "most"....there are always exceptions. I often modify my stuff but if I change anything on my F type regarding badging, it will be my first time.

Cheers,
Dave
No worries. I wasn't being accusatory. I was explaining my rationale. At least the badges are now stick-on, rather than needing holes drilled in the bodywork.

DPelletier (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Well debadging is reverseable so it is something you can do without devaluing your car on resale. Can't say that about a lot of mods like we have seen on here.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ronniet
in my experience the aspirational with lower spec cars de badge to confuse
and the modifiers de badge to surprise the chosen victim at the lights.

In the early 80's I drove a left hand drive VW Golf that had been converted to take a 928 powerplant and transmission, no badges and car was actually widened not lengthened. So when you pulled up beside the victim at the lights they thought it was just a little normal golf, no badges to suggest performance
I drop this video wherever and whenever I can. Please tell me that this was you, because I'm fine with not doing the math on years. lol

Also, I quite like that you call them victims. =)

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
BostonKiller (01-13-2017), Misujerr (03-04-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Smile

I have (sadly) lost the letter J from the hatch at the carwash, thus leaving me to drive an AGUAR for a while. Dealer wanted $35 for the replacement, so instead I did this.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Funny thing to share I ordered a black leaper off Ebay from China and it took a month to get here.

Drumroll please ... the thing is 2" long HAHA.

Please - anyone ordering one make sure it is 16cm or about 6.25" long.

Reordered with someone else - I'll keep the 2" one, shipping back isn't really an option and my fault for not examining the listing more closely.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonKiller
I have (sadly) lost the letter J from the hatch at the carwash, thus leaving me to drive an AGUAR for a while. Dealer wanted $35 for the replacement, so instead I did this.
At my company that's a warranty claim... chalk one up to Jaguar being cheap. I bet they don't even do car wash testing.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I also de-badged the F-Type and JAGUAR, but left the leaper. I think that the body-colored license plate surround worked well, and am not decided about the diffuser being white - I may go back to black.

Burt Gummer (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

A very thin, minimal frame is what I like - with or without a debadge.

GENUINE JAGUAR ACCESSORY SLIMLINE LICENSE PLATE FRAME T2R23568 MATTE BLACK | eBay

Old 02-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
A very thin, minimal frame is what I like - with or without a debadge.

GENUINE JAGUAR ACCESSORY SLIMLINE LICENSE PLATE FRAME T2R23568 MATTE BLACK | eBay
I much prefer no frame at all:

Also, for the sake of neatness and to avoid having to drill even more holes (waaay too many already) it's stuck on with double sided tape.

Burt Gummer (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

The reason for the minimalist frame is to cover the white surround that all US plates seem to have. In Oregon, for $20 or so you can pick a plate that isn't so obnoxious.
There is a cultural plate for instance that has a darker background and black letters.

If I did nothing, it would default to a white and green plate with a tree in the middle that sticks out like a sore thumb.

The frame on this covers the white, leaving a more subdued look:

Of course if you have a white/light car it is a different story.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Debadging creates a nice clean look, but personally am not tempted.

Most people can't figure out what a F-Type is even without removing the clues.
(Interestingly, they're MUCH more like to recognize the E-Type)

Last edited by uncheel; 03-01-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

About a week after the de-badgeing, my life left the garage door open for a couple of hours. When I discovered that, I came in and said:

"Honey, you left the garage door open and someone came by and stole the chrome off the back of the Jag!"

Burt Gummer (03-02-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Uncle, awesome vid!
I always thought that debadging was a European thing, where people with higher end cars, (AMG, M, etc...) did not want to advertise them, lest being kidnapped & held for ransom...
But really, isn't debadging an option on some of the Euro cars?
Around here it is the opposite way. See an AMG badge on a C230 with the "0" pried off...
I get so haaaangry
(C43 with 223K on it is my daily driver.)

Old 03-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 179 Likes on 50 Posts

No badges here.

Quick Reply: anyone here debadge their f-type?