Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here own a 'Classic' car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Second, they are in a bubble value-wise, once boomers are gone their value will fall in-line with other cars from that era.
Not necessarily very soon though. Values plateau when multiple generations of nostalgia seekers reach peak collecting age. Certainly right now, the boomers are all in their 60s and 70s and to the extent that they still enjoy good health, they've got the money and the time to enjoy that dream car from their youth. But there's a second generation just now coming into play, Generation X. We were the ones who drove USED muscle cars, modifying them and tearing them up well into the 1980s. We are just now reaching the age where our kids are moving out, mortgages are getting paid off and promoted into upper management. The boomers still have a few years left and Gen X is just getting started.

But eventually, I figure you are right. Muscle car values have to decline at least in inflation-adjusted dollars at some point. When I first started participating in car shows back in the mid-80s (with my 66 Mustang), at any given show there would always be at least two dozen restored Ford Model A's, driven by some grey-haired old men wearing their club vests with patches commemorating the events they'd attended or awards they'd earned. Today, we're lucky to see more than one Model A per show and the men with their vests and patches are all but gone. I haven't tracked Model A prices, but I suspect all those dozens of restored Model A's are still out there somewhere. Some families have inherited them, but they don't come out to car shows anymore. That was grandpa's dream car, not ours.

Muscle cars though may see a much longer heyday than earlier cars. Unlike cars from the 50s and earlier, muscle cars can still keep up with modern traffic and outfitted with optional power brakes, power steering and automatic transmissions, are as easy to drive as any modern car. They may have some appeal to Generation Y, tho it won't be driven by "nostalgia", rather just general historical interest. Probably what will happen is all the base models that were floated with the rising tide will sink again as nostalgia wanes, leaving only the rare big blocks and special editions with enduring collector values. But I think its still a long ways off, like maybe 30 years from now when I and the rest of my age cohort hit the nursing home.

Oh, and to the OP's question, while I don't have an F-type, I do own a couple of classic cars. Seems maybe you have been trying to talk yourself into an F-type. I say go for it. There's so many cars and trucks on my wish list but I can only manage three or four at a time. Some I'm happy to wait till they are depreciated, others I'd like to experience while they are still relatively new. Most people can only manage one at a time. The only way to make it through our lists before we die is to buy and sell and own each for only a few years at a time. Unless you are Jay Leno....

Good luck.

The following 3 users liked this post by pdupler:
Raul-7 (11-11-2016), SinF (11-14-2016), TR64ever (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler

Oh, and to the OP's question, while I don't have an F-type, I do own a couple of classic cars. Seems maybe you have been trying to talk yourself into an F-type. I say go for it. There's so many cars and trucks on my wish list but I can only manage three or four at a time. Some I'm happy to wait till they are depreciated, others I'd like to experience while they are still relatively new. Most people can only manage one at a time. The only way to make it through our lists before we die is to buy and sell and own each for only a few years at a time. Unless you are Jay Leno....

Good luck.
True; only problem is I know I'll kick myself 10 times over for selling this one. It's been restored from the ground up; has all the bells and whistles a dream restomod should have. Power windows, 4 wheel disc brakes, Autometer gauges, LED head/tail lamps, deluxe interior, 5 speed T5, Heidts front-end, dual troque boxes, etc. To rebuild such a car in the future would cost me more than I paid for this car alone.

Took it out for a ride yesterday afternoon and I got so many compliments in the span of my 30 minute drive that it made me realize to sell it would be foolish. A LOT of people dream of owning a 67 Fastback; although most want the hideous fiberglass recreation from that movie...It made me realize that I'm grateful to own such an iconic car.

Something about driving a classic - it's unique, alive, and raw. Simple. Not to mention they don't design them like they used to. It's true, a large part of the appeal of classic cars is the timeless design. Would I drive a C2 Corvette over the new C7; every damn day. In fact the sole reason why the S550 Mustang is so popular is the design; it brings A LOT of elements from the first generation Mustangs into a winning design.

Last edited by Raul-7; 11-11-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I've kept a few of my old "classics."
'78 280Z owned since new
'68 GTO
'72 De Tomaso Pantera
'58 Corvette.
The Pantera is almost finished getting a built 351C transplant with Holley fuel injection. About 500hp on a 2900lb car should be a lot of fun.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone here own a 'Classic' car?-vp__3982-1280x853-.jpg  
Old 11-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, 1965 Corvette (matching numbers). 2017 will mark my 20 year anniversary with the car, which was owned for 25 years by the previous owner.

It sits in my basement walled in until this spring when I put her for sale, having to knock down the wall and rebuild it to get her out.

The following users liked this post:
Raul-7 (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Stockpiled these 3 which were dream cars to me growing up but then I lost interest so I sold them all.

This all-steel '28 Ford Model A roadster fell in my lap and was planning on flipping it but after 2 days of driving it, I decided that wasn't going to happen so I finished the car and it changed the way I feel about these cars.
It's all-Ford with a built 302, backed by a C-4 trans and an 8" rear.

Then there's this little toy which my father constructed in 1967 and I reacquired it about 7 years ago...it's 2/3rds done, just waiting on the motor so we can cackle some nitro.

love, love, love those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:48 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyone here own a 'Classic' car?-june-04-0038.jpg

1971 Triumph Stag...

Seems to tick all the boxes, pre '76, carbs, steel, and chrome!

Drove her 1000 miles to Ontario and back last summer and she never missed a beat.

cjp

Old 11-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Stockpiled these 3 which were dream cars to me growing up but then I lost interest so I sold them all.

Why did you lose interest if they were your dream cars? Just curious?

Old 11-15-2016, 09:36 AM

I have a 1960 MGA. Love the classic lines, and a perfect 'slow' foil to the F-Type craziness.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul-7
Why did you lose interest if they were your dream cars? Just curious?
No answer for that, just lost interest.

They all sat for 4 years + without even starting them so I knew at that point I was doing them more harm then good so I sold them one at a time over the span of 3 years and I've never looked back...don't miss any of them one bit.

Instead of constructing a top for the '28 roadster, I've got my eyes peeled for a chopped '34 coupe w/o fenders...maybe in white to balance the black hot rod.

I had my fun with these cars and took them as far as I could, it was time to let someone else enjoy them.

Last edited by buickfunnycar.com; 11-15-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Raul-7 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

I've always been a little surprised at how many Jag lovers are also muscle car lovers....as the two seem totally opposite.

I myself am a huge muscle car and Corvette fan and spend the majority of my time working on them to this day in my present job. It's hellish and miserable.... but somebody has to do it

In my previous life I owned a slew of muscle cars (and muscle boats...that's a different story) but, well, life changes. I got out of the hobby and a few years later found out I couldn't afford to get back in.... at least not as an owner. That's one of the reasons I ended up also being a Jag fan: great cars (both to drive and as a hobby) for amazingly little money.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Dreams change. Still miss my Superbee but wasn't using it:

Raul-7 (11-17-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I've always been a little surprised at how many Jag lovers are also muscle car lovers....as the two seem totally opposite.

I myself am a huge muscle car and Corvette fan and spend the majority of my time working on them to this day in my present job. It's hellish and miserable.... but somebody has to do it

In my previous life I owned a slew of muscle cars (and muscle boats...that's a different story) but, well, life changes. I got out of the hobby and a few years later found out I couldn't afford to get back in.... at least not as an owner. That's one of the reasons I ended up also being a Jag fan: great cars (both to drive and as a hobby) for amazingly little money.

Cheers
DD
On some level I am not surprised at all. In many ways the V8 Ftype is a British somewhat refined version of a muscle car. Sound, power, straight line speed all evoke muscle car. Where the difference starts to happen is fit and finish and better cornering and ride quality. The FType is a wonderful beast not too unlike its american predecessors.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

I myself am a huge muscle car and Corvette fan
What I've noticed is that gearheads most often have at least some appreciation for all things mechanical, be it sports cars, muscle cars, luxury cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles, boats and even airplanes. I pretty much like anything self-propelled that I can ride in or on. Given the cost and space requirements, I'm surprised at the number of people I've met who own a small "collection". Some collect a "theme" but most of the private collections I'm aware of are a rather eclectic mix.

I've owned only a small fraction of my wish list. Unfortunately, I do tend to "fall in love" with a car and hang on to it too long so I'm not making very good progress on my own eclectic list. But soon as the current Corvette restoration project is done, that'll open up two garage bays (not to mention the sunroom, guest bedroom and two closets)

Doug (11-17-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I've got a '78 Saab 99 Turbo that I converted to to 5-speed about 1990. It sits in my car port because the electrics started to get pretty bad (stall at a light, pop the hood and wiggle the fuel pump relay kind of bad). It's a one-year-only model and was a lot of fun when it was running, and I used it hard. I carried trailered motorcycles, carried sofas, commuted, even lent it out for a while to someone I probably shouldn't have.

It shares an engine with our LeMons car so I may use the LeMons car a a test mule for a Megasquirt conversion.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few classics. 70 and 73 Mach 1's and a 73 vw bus. Although I would love the F-Type. I would need to keep at least 1 classic. I just picked up a 2001 xj8 vanden plas. I like wrenching but have already visited a professional mechanic for the first time in 15 years because I was out of my comfort zone. There is very little help on the internet with regards to videos and it seem that there is nothing typical as each car has a different solution or specialty tool needed to complete repairs.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My "Classic" 1970 XKE 2+2, I've always wanted a multi carb setup on an XKE!

The following 2 users liked this post by GreggM:
Mbourne (11-17-2016), Raul-7 (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 06:05 PM

Damn; those stacked carbs are expensive. They run about $5K for a 351W. I think plug-and-play EFI would be the wiser investment apart from nostalgia and cool-factor?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I didn't know that side draft Webers were OEM. I thought they always came with the side draft SUs (a real bitch to balance).

Old 11-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Webers are aftermarket

70 XKE came with dual carbs and mine were shot so I figured why not? So far they have been no problem and they sound really cool..

Old 11-18-2016, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggM
70 XKE came with dual carbs and mine were shot so I figured why not? So far they have been no problem and they sound really cool..
Those Webers are probably worth an extra 25 horses or so.