F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own or consider a Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 08:30 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Anyone own or consider a Toyota Supra

This was one of the cars on my list and I think it looks beautiful. Like any first year production cars they made a fair amount of changes in 2021. I was curious if anyone has driven one and their thoughts. I never pursued looking further into it once I realized almost the entire car is just a BMW with a Toyota logo. I like BMW but own one as my daily driver and didn't want another car that felt like my BMW. Still curious if anyone has driven one or owns one and their thoughts.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
This was one of the cars on my list and I think it looks beautiful. Like any first year production cars they made a fair amount of changes in 2021. I was curious if anyone has driven one and their thoughts. I never pursued looking further into it once I realized almost the entire car is just a BMW with a Toyota logo. I like BMW but own one as my daily driver and didn't want another car that felt like my BMW. Still curious if anyone has driven one or owns one and their thoughts.
I thought about one for a split second but at the age of 46, I honestly feel funny driving a Japanese sports car (I’m Asian and I’ve got a weird insecurity about being lumped in the fast and the furious crowd). The Supra is an awesome car and is eye catching but it’s just not as cool and elegant as the F type.

There are a lot of manufacturers (Kia and Hyundai) throwing out their Sports edition and even if they are faster than the F Type, I would still choose this car because it’s simple in appearance (exterior and interior) but technological advanced in all other aspects.

The following 2 users liked this post by datriani:
Island Maser (03-11-2021), rfr66 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Used to own one in the mid 80's - bright red - told my son (age 7) it was a Japanese Porsche. Think it only cost about $12K new!!

Old 03-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Guy I work with daily's a lightly-modded white 6 cylinder. Anybody who tells you they aren't awesome little cars doesn't know what they're talking about.

That being said, still don't think it compares with my f type

Old 03-06-2021, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

I've said this before on this forum and others, but if I were shopping for a "new" sporty car today, I would buy the Supra in a heartbeat. I didn't buy one because "for what it is", it's basically a lower spec F-Type (and I'm not referring to performance). I ended up grabbing a 4C instead of a GR Supra or a C8. If I didn't own a F-Type and buying used wasn't what I wanted to do, the Surpa is at the top of my shopping list.

The C8, while a great car, I just think is going to be too common and it's quite a large car. I've always been one who prefers cars that are not too common, smaller and more nimble. The GR Supra fits that definition for me. Having said that, I would not get rid of my F-Type to get a GR Supra. Even with my F-Type being older, I don't see that has being a valuable decision for me.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Hard for me to use the word "beautiful" and new Supra in the same sentence, especially when compared to the F-type.

The following 4 users liked this post by tberg:
BigTurk (03-11-2021), Lani Kai (03-07-2021), Luc Lapierre (03-06-2021), SinF (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:02 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Hard for me to use the word "beautiful" and new Supra in the same sentence, especially when compared to the F-type.
Agreed. Haven't seen one in person, but not at all attractive to me in photos. Feel the same way about the new squinty F-type front end....

Old 03-06-2021, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,121 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Used to own one in the mid 80's - bright red - told my son (age 7) it was a Japanese Porsche. Think it only cost about $12K new!!
That was my era. Now I'm getting all misty-eyed and nostalgic. I've owned nine of them. Here's four from about 16 years ago. I still have the silver one in front. The red one is in Atlanta, the Blue in San Antonio and the black in Nashville last I heard.

Anyone own or consider a Toyota Supra-vjfe9rn.jpg

As I recall, they started about $13K for the L-type in 82 and went to about $20K for the fully loaded P-type by 85, sticker prices anyway. Mustangs started around $9K for a 4-banger by comparison. I used to ride my bicycle to the Toyota dealership and drool over them till the salesmen shooed me away. We had right here in Dallas in the early 80s a company called Cartech that installed turbochargers on them and they'd occasionally show up at the local drag strip. I remember some very impressive runs in the 10s. (It all started 20 years before Fast and Furious). No way that as a teenager in a blue-collar family I was going to get one but I swore that I would as soon as I graduated college. Just didn't know it was going to become an unhealthy obsession.

Values of nice examples now are through the roof. We've had a few sell in the $30Ks in the past few years, but typical beat-up survivors are still in the low to mid thousands because there's no parts and its quite impractical to restore one. About all you could do with the average survivor is to make a race car out of it. One really low mileage example like the red one pictured just topped $40K on BAT recently including the fees which just seems insane as it feels like only yesterday I was buying really nice ones like that for $3,000 -$4,000.

Sorry I can't contribute much about the new Supras except to say that the faithful in the Supra community still seem split. About half say never, because its got that BMW engine while others seemed to welcome the return of the nameplate and are thankful that its at least still got a straight six. I read something about a company already selling a swap kit to fit the 2jz into it, but I couldn't confirm. Probably wouldn't pass emissions anywhere anyway with a 25-30 year old motor so I guess 1,000+ hp is probably not going to happen anymore. Certainly would void the warranty.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,270 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg

The Supra has a face that only a robot could love. If a robot could love.
It seems absurd to posit any equivalence between an F-Type and a Supra aesthetically - performance might be a different thing but for me the appearance of the car I drive is one of the major joys of ownership.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I looked at Supra in the dealership room, but a) it was non-starter before the engine update due to being under powered at that price point b) it doesn't have a manual gearbox, what kind of a sports car is that? c) styling not my cup of team - too boy-racer styling.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,304 Likes on 896 Posts

They look better on the road than they do in photos, and on all accounts they are a fantastic car to drive. But I wouldnt call them a beautiful car, and looks are very high on my priority list (compensating for something...)

Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I owned an E89 Z4, I thought about the G29 Z4 but never considered the Supra . I was in the minority, because I thought the BMW looked better than the Toyota. However, that was when I stumbled on a deal for an Ftype I couldn’t pass up!

Old 03-06-2021, 11:18 PM
Received 210 Likes on 123 Posts

This probably isn't fair, but that front end styling reminds me of a blobfish...

The following 3 users liked this post by Luc Lapierre:
A squared (03-11-2021), harryf (03-11-2021), Lowpass (03-11-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:20 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

japanese cars will always be the best value for performance/fun

Old 03-07-2021, 04:37 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,496 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
japanese cars will always be the best value for performance/fun
Er, only a few Japanese cars ... my Nissan Almera doesn't fall into that category!

Old 03-07-2021, 08:30 AM

The Supras from the 90's were monsters and the ability to mod them was insane. Now the 90's with even 100k are going for $50k plus. I do like the styling and saw the turbo is accessible from the top of the motor and can be switched out within 1 hour. I just didn't want to be driving another BMW.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 6 months ago, I was considering buying a new Supra however the dealer wouldn't let me test drive the car. I was a bit in shock that they acted that way (and they had a $5K premium added to the sticker). I ultimately landed on a CPO 2017 F-Type R which I'm very happy with.

This was my personal experience here in Georgia. That may not be the case elsewhere. I just don't think I could ever buy a car without driving it first.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by unclechachi
About 6 months ago, I was considering buying a new Supra however the dealer wouldn't let me test drive the car. I was a bit in shock that they acted that way (and they had a $5K premium added to the sticker). I ultimately landed on a CPO 2017 F-Type R which I'm very happy with.

This was my personal experience here in Georgia. That may not be the case elsewhere. I just don't think I could ever buy a car without driving it first.
It is funny-in AZ I went to test drive a used F Type R and they wouldn't let me drive it either unless we negotiated a price first. I walked away. I wasn't going to waste my time negotiating on a car I couldn't drive first.

unclechachi (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 07:35 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

It is funny-in AZ I went to test drive a used F Type R and they wouldn't let me drive it either unless we negotiated a price first. I walked away. I wasn't going to waste my time negotiating on a car I couldn't drive first.
My local dealer would let me drive a CPO car but didn’t seem interested in talking to me much at all. In a new car, the guy basically gave me the sticker price and said “that’s what it is...” and didn’t care that we were leaving. Perhaps the old story of it appearing as though I could afford the car created a bias and he thought there was no deal to be had but I am quite busy and used to sell cars so I didn’t need the practice - just trying to buy a car, but I’m not going to beg someone to sell me one. The service experience had been okay thus far, and it’s interesting now that the salespeople seem chatty when I’m in for service. I guess I should have presented a copy of my
bank statement before expecting to be treated as a legitimate consumer.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:17 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I was somewhat interested in the new Supra when it was first announced. I had owned a Nissan 370Z for about 8 years at that point and was ready for a replacement.

Then the actual reviews came out. No manual transmission, about 50 HP less than I thought it should have, and unattractively overstyled in my opinion. No thanks.
Then I was offered early retirement, moved from sea level to 6000 feet and my needs changed to that of an SUV with AWD. But I really missed having a sports car just for fun, fair weather driving so decided to buy an F Type as a second vehicle. My first thoughts were a fully optioned out V6, but when I saw that most of those features were standard on the V8 Type R I decided to go whole hog, or cat as it may be, and ordered an R Model.

The Supra missed the boat by a wide mark, price point irrespective.

DocDsXK (03-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone own or consider a Toyota Supra