Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own or consider a Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80AK
I’ve got an MKIV Supra, and have always been a fan of Supra / Supra-Celicas. That being said, I think the new Supra looks great, is capable, and all around a great car...however, if it was me and I knew I was buying a re-skinned BMW I would probably just buy an M2 for the same money.
Better diff, better trans, better engine, better brakes, a rear seat, bigger trunk, all for the same money.

The only reason I see to buy a Supra is if you really absolutely love the looks. if your on the fence, for the same money you get a better BMW in the M2

The M2 is a great little car but as it's a sedan not a 2 seater sportscar, so it really isn't the same thing. .....and while the M2C does have a bit more power, the Z4 bested the regular M2 around the Nurburgring so from a performance standpoint, they aren't much different AND that was the weaker 335hp Z4, not the one we get here. Real question; what is different about the differential?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/23562/...orsepower%20M2.

I looked at the M4 Cabriolet but it wasn't sporty enough; too big and too heavy. Nice car though.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 03-11-2021, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I'm not bashing the F type and I loved the time I had with mine but the Z4 is quite good......and a bargain IMO considering what you get for your money.
Make absolutely, 100% sure to be out of your new Z4 before it turns 8 years old. Take this from a former BMW fan with multiple under my belt.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Make absolutely, 100% sure to be out of your new Z4 before it turns 8 years old. Take this from a former BMW fan with multiple under my belt.
I owned a E46 M3 for 9 years. The first 3 years were the worst. It spent more time in the shop during the first three years than any other car I've seen. Once I got past that, it was a dream after that with just standard normal maintenance.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Meh; we had an X3 for 5 years without a single issue. I'm more worried about the $120,000 Range Rover!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-17-2021, 09:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

As a BMW fanboy, I'm really attracted to these

Ok, joking aside, these are definitely on my radar to replace my V6S. I love the F-type for its character, looks, sense of occasion and of course the noise. However, it's no lightweight and struggles to deliver thrills on a country road blast, best driven at 8/10ths.

My only doubt about the Supra is the image, but as someone not long turned 40 I think I could just about pull it off. F-type gets attention and comments from all ages group, like no car I've ever had before. The Supra is more like to attract those in their teens\20's\30's. I love the idea of the BMW running gear, leading to reduced running costs with better mpg, much improved reliability, longer servicing periods, lower emissions etc, as well as all the tuning and cosmetic mods available for it. It's a shame a sunroof isn't an option.

Just need to wait for them to depreciate a little more. Once they're around 3 years old and £30k, then maybe. Or maybe they'll bring out a manual in the next year, lots of speculation.

Last edited by scz4; 03-17-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not so sure I would hang my hat on BMW more reliable and lower cost of ownership. Been there. Buddy who had the chance to buy a used Ferrari- Dino-Rough Body- or a used M3. His wrench Jessie who knows European cars well. "You must love to see Jessie. M3 you will see Jessie much more". M3 was a pile of junk only 2 years old the rusty Dino was the buy of the century from a money point of view. And many many visits to Jessie.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I can only go on my experience with 16 out of 18 of my previous cars being BMW (including M cars), probably driven over 300k miles between them all, absolutely no major issues at all, far better build quality. This is my first Jaguar..... but as I've said on here before, definitely more smiles per miles with the Jag

Old 03-17-2021, 11:02 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Our 3rd Jag- Our German made car lost a piston as 20K on a road trip. The out of state dealer held it for 6 months with them refusing to fix it under warranty until I took them to court. They fixed it after it was towed to my dealer but I will go to a horse and buggy before I buy another BMW.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:26 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by scz4
As a BMW fanboy, I'm really attracted to these

Ok, joking aside, these are definitely on my radar to replace my V6S. I love the F-type for its character, looks, sense of occasion and of course the noise. However, it's no lightweight and struggles to deliver thrills on a country road blast, best driven at 8/10ths.

My only doubt about the Supra is the image, but as someone not long turned 40 I think I could just about pull it off. F-type gets attention and comments from all ages group, like no car I've ever had before. The Supra is more like to attract those in their teens\20's\30's. I love the idea of the BMW running gear, leading to reduced running costs with better mpg, much improved reliability, longer servicing periods, lower emissions etc, as well as all the tuning and cosmetic mods available for it. It's a shame a sunroof isn't an option.

Just need to wait for them to depreciate a little more. Once they're around 3 years old and £30k, then maybe. Or maybe they'll bring out a manual in the next year, lots of speculation.
I miss the f-type sound and looks, but it was a great replacement for the v6s, much quicker car and I love the ability to mod my car, granted I am on the younger side forsure! If I drive normally on adaptive cruise, I can get 35mpg at 80 mph. With the mods I've done, springs, sway bars, some chassis bracing, and visual stuff, the car 10x better then stock. Very impressive car.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
I miss the f-type sound and looks, but it was a great replacement for the v6s, much quicker car and I love the ability to mod my car, granted I am on the younger side forsure! If I drive normally on adaptive cruise, I can get 35mpg at 80 mph. With the mods I've done, springs, sway bars, some chassis bracing, and visual stuff, the car 10x better then stock. Very impressive car.
Other than lowering any other cosmetic mods / changes did you do on your car in the pic (notice BMW wheel caps but are the rims what came on the car?)? Your car exactly as it looks in the pic is stunning.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,270 Likes on 1,370 Posts

That Supra just hurts my eyes. It is to my mind, ugly, really ugly, front, side and back. And as a recovering BMW owner (and the recovery period is long...) knowing that it is a BMW underneath that ungainly exterior does nothing at all to improve my opinion of it. Quite the opposite.

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
J444G (08-22-2021), Sparky H (08-22-2021), tberg (06-12-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

I feel your pain and we only owned a 535i !!!!

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (08-22-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Meh; we had an X3 for 5 years without a single issue. I'm more worried about the $120,000 Range Rover!

Cheers,
Dave

Nevermind; probably not appropriate to vent about my RR here....

Dave

Last edited by DPelletier; 06-09-2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:35 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by scz4
Well I can only go on my experience with 16 out of 18 of my previous cars being BMW (including M cars), probably driven over 300k miles between them all, absolutely no major issues at all, far better build quality. This is my first Jaguar..... but as I've said on here before, definitely more smiles per miles with the Jag
I just sold my 335i which had 130k on it and I put 100k of those on the car. Had very minimal issues and really the only thing I did was simple wear items that I repaired or replaced myself. I was extremely pleased with the reliability I had with my BMW over the 5 years I owned it.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

I deleted my post but basically I had said earlier I was worried more about my 2021 Range Rover Sport than I was about my BMW Z4 M40i and it turns out my concern was justified; after owning the RR and it spending 61 out of 94 days in the shop, we returned it and bought an Audi SQ8....very dissappointed

Dave

Old 06-10-2021, 09:00 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
maybe I’m just getting older but this car is definitely geared toward the younger generation. The ones that owned STIs and Evos back in the day. If I was in high school and college, this would be the car I would want for sure. Now that I’m mid 30s, it just doesn’t appeal to me. I feel every punk race car would want to race me. I still like how it looks. Not a bad looking car by any means, just meant for the younger crowd.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:01 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
maybe I’m just getting older but this car is definitely geared toward the younger generation. The ones that owned STIs and Evos back in the day. If I was in high school and college, this would be the car I would want for sure. Now that I’m mid 30s, it just doesn’t appeal to me. I feel every punk race car would want to race me. I still like how it looks. Not a bad looking car by any means, just meant for the younger crowd.
It's a cartoonish looking car for sure, does anyone know if the car comes standard with a clown costume?

The following 3 users liked this post by SVR 575:
sov211 (08-22-2021), Sparky H (08-22-2021), tberg (06-12-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 08:41 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Hard for me to use the word "beautiful" and new Supra in the same sentence, especially when compared to the F-type.
Most Jaguar cars in history have been beautiful and that can not be said for most other cars. That's not to say that other cars are not good looking, macho, masculine, pretty, majestic, feminine, fantastic and thousands of other descriptive words that can be use to describe a car. The old jaguars were built by a man with a passion and he personally went to a lot of time to create the curvaceous shapes that Jaguar were unique for creating in a car. Ian Callum was an admirer of these Jaguar curves since he was a boy and it showed in his car designs. I remember one jaguar designer saying that it was the difference between a straight line and curve that made the difference. Thats out of context because we all know i'ts more than that. When Pininfarina got involved in one of the Jaguar designs it showed up so much to me that it turned me off Jaguar for a while until Geoff Lawson and Ian Callum came on the scene. I'm into beauty more than performance and power, because I was nutter for speed when I was young, but today I want to live the rest of my life safely and with beauty. I'm luck to be alive after my fast days with cars.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:46 AM
Received 110 Likes on 46 Posts

I found the new Supra a lot nicer to look at in the flesh than in any photo I'd seen of one (had a good look at one in a Toyota showroom when my father was picking his new car up). It's still a bit too 'fussy' for my tastes and as someone who has never really liked BMW interiors, I couldn't live with one as I'd just hate being inside it! The darker colour of the one I looked at did seem to help hide some of the fussiness though, but then I've always been drawn more towards the less 'showy' colours. Would I sell the car if somebody gave me one for free? Probably not. Would I buy one with my own money? Probably not.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:49 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry Porsche....looks to be another one of the imposter "Kit Cars" out of Cali.
Yes I have.... 1960 356B Euro Track Machine w/ Carlos' mods (in '71)
1973 911 Carrera purchased in '73 from Meltebeke/Lee Wood Motors VW/Porsche

Go PRORODEO

Quick Reply: Anyone own or consider a Toyota Supra