F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run/tune for E85 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017 | 09:38 AM
|
Default Anyone run/tune for E85 yet?

I was looking at getting more power from our little cars and this came to mind.
I also own a 2016 Mustang GT and switching it to E85 brought that sucker straight to life.

I know with these we would have to make some modifications (Maybe injectors, fuel pump? who knows) but I am curious on if anyone has done it?

I came across a couple of "kits" to covert to E85, but I'm not sure I trust a universal kit on the F.

Old 12-06-2017 | 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

E85 is going to wake up any vehicle if you're able to make a full swap over to it. The octane benefits are big, but most people don't realize it has more power per stroke than regular gasoline, even though you're using more of it.

The issue most most of the time is with the fueling system. The low pressure and high pressure pumps have to move a lot more fuel than they do with normal gasoline. I have no idea if they're capable in the current state but my guess would be they probably aren't. Not to mention the high pressure pump isn't very reliable on these cars and increasing the load on it may significantly decrease its lifespan. If you're able to get by that, the injectors are the next concern. Being direct injection replacement injectors with higher flow don't really exist. They are expensive and not in demand for the 5.0L, so I doubt anyone has bothered. Also no idea if the stockers can handle the increased fuel demands.

Tuning however should be easy. I'm sure VAP could do it no problem.

Old 12-06-2017 | 12:49 PM
SVR

Other cars I have experience with (C7Z, M3/4, GTR) respond very well to light mixtures of E85. The sweetspot across the board is E30, or roughly 2 gallons of E85 to every 5 gallons of 91+ octane pump-gas, which is already E10. Endless testing has shown meaningful gains on otherwise bone stock cars with no ill effects.

Not aware of anyone playing with E85 or mixtures of it on these cars. I'd love to see it, though.

Old 12-06-2017 | 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SVR
Endless testing has shown meaningful gains on otherwise bone stock cars with no ill effects.
I would say this statement is true, but with a big fat asterisk. When you add a small amount of E85 to an otherwise stock vehicle, you're essentially leaning out the AFR mixture and causing the vehicles ECU to adjust by adding more fuel. This is fine in theory, but if you add too much E85 you'll max out the fuel table and the ECU won't be able to adjust anymore; the engine will go lean, and then bad things will happen.

Thing is, with more popularly modified vehicles like BMWs or Porsches, enough people have done the testing that you know where to stop. On the F type, we're all going through things like this for the first time. Every attempt to make more power is going to come with risks other brands don't have.

Old 12-08-2017 | 06:50 PM

There are factory tunes for E85, or other Ethanol-content fuels.

The cars delivered to Brazil, for example, run a different factory tune..

Read between the lines http://media.jaguar.com/en-us/news/2...2014-jaguar-xf