F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running 305/35-20 on rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Guys, you're missing the point. I'm not arguing a taller tire will help for drag racing. I'm saying...despite everyone here can spin a tire...it's still not big power. I run a big tire on my TT V8 Supra - that's a drag car, making big power on a tall tire.

I 100% promise you guys if you run a drag radial in the same or close to OEM diameter, 99% of the time you will not spin it unless you're in a water box.

If you run a 29" street tire vs. a 27" drag radial - I'll bet whatever you'd like that the drag radial will 60' harder every time. But yes, we do have limited selection if you want completely oem tire size.

I'm not trying to start an argument, you all want to run a tall tire, go for it. If you want traction on your car, run the proper compound tire.

Last edited by Philly Single; 10-31-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Can anyone with a V6 get their tires to spin in a straight line with 20" PSSs?
At least with the manual, these tires have more traction than the clutch.
Yes, no problem with the auto. It can be fairly impressive with a foot on the brake and running up the rpms a bit before letting go in 1st. You're probably right that you don't have enough clutch.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Guys, you're missing the point.

I'm not trying to start an argument, you all want to run a tall tire, go for it. If you want traction on your car, run the proper compound tire.
No... you're missing the point. This topic was a wider tire vs. a taller tire for straight line grip. At no point were we talking about compound or drag radials. Yes obviously a better compound or a drag radial will help reduce wheel spin... but that is well known information. You're talking about ignoring a feature of the tire that could increase grip even further, which is just stupid. If you want grip, consider all options for the best tire setup.

The following users liked this post:
PolkNole (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, no problem with the auto. It can be fairly impressive with a foot on the brake and running up the rpms a bit before letting go in 1st. You're probably right that you don't have enough clutch.
I know the P-Zeros will spin. I was able to do that with the 19" P-Zeros. I'm trying to determine if anyone with the V6 on 20" PSSs can get them to spin. If not, then my weak clutch isn't handicapping me too much.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

I just can't buy the theory PSSs are that much stickier than PZeros from a standing start. I do agree they appear to be a better all-around tire, all things considered.

If I recall, you only had a few miles on the Pirellis before you swapped wheels and tires. You also went from 19s to 20s.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

I just can't buy the theory PSSs are that much stickier than PZeros from a standing start. I do agree they appear to be a better all-around tire, all things considered.
I don't think so either, but I want to confirm.
If I recall, you only had a few miles on the Pirellis before you swapped wheels and tires. You also went from 19s to 20s.
That's why I am being so specific about the configuration I am questioning. If other AT V6 owners with 20" PSSs are spinning their tires, then there is a serious issue with the clutches in general. If some of those spinning identical tires have MTs, the problem is unique to my car.

(Yes, the intent of my question is OT)

Old 11-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think so either, but I want to confirm.
That's why I am being so specific about the configuration I am questioning. If other AT V6 owners with 20" PSSs are spinning their tires, then there is a serious issue with the clutches in general. If some of those spinning identical tires have MTs, the problem is unique to my car.

(Yes, the intent of my question is OT)
Makes sense.

In another 4K miles or so I'll be switching to the PSS, and I'll certainly find out then. However, I'm virtually certain I'll have no problem spinning the tires with those as well. The PZeros easily and frequently break loose.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

However, I'm virtually certain I'll have no problem spinning the tires with those as well. The PZeros easily and frequently break loose.
If so, I'm hoping someone with an MT can confirm whether or not they can break the 20" PSSs loose. Won't matter whether it's the base or the S car since the torque spec is so similar.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Why???

Not sure why many f type owners want to change the original equipment. The rears are huge already. The look is great and Jag did an enormous amount of r and d to build this car. I think they did a hell of a job on this car and to change anything in my opinion is not necessary.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tar1018
Not sure why many f type owners want to change the original equipment. The rears are huge already. The look is great and Jag did an enormous amount of r and d to build this car. I think they did a hell of a job on this car and to change anything in my opinion is not necessary.
Quite simple. The design of any system is a complicated series of compromises to create a product that is appealing to the largest number of customers within the target audience. For example, look at ground clearance. At 5.25 inches, it is not optimal for center of gravity and handling considerations, or even aesthetics. Some of us don't have to traverse mountainous driveways and can afford to lower the vehicle. Others that will be traveling in snow on a regular basis will need more ground clearance and Jag has addressed that on the AWD. The reduced handling from a taller stance will be more than offset by the AWD.
Regarding aesthetic issues, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Chrome, CF, wheel offset, tire width, are all subjective and worthy of modification if it makes the owner feel better about his/her vehicle.

I do agree, though, going wider on the back tires without going wider in front could negatively impact the cornering characteristics and balance.

The following users liked this post:
PolkNole (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tar1018
Too late - I've already upped the hp by about 80 to 630. So to help put that to the ground as I have RWD only, I'm looking for any possible solutions.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

For example, look at ground clearance. At 5.25 inches, it is not optimal for center of gravity and handling considerations, or even aesthetics. Some of us don't have to traverse mountainous driveways and can afford to lower the vehicle. Others that will be traveling in snow on a regular basis will need more ground clearance and Jag has addressed that on the AWD. The reduced handling from a taller stance will be more than offset by the AWD.
Speaking of ground clearance, I have the AWD and even with the larger clearance I still can scrape leaving my driveway if I'm not careful, but my driveway is on a fairly steep incline. Of course I also scrape coming out of the parking lot of my local grocery store which isn't on an incline at all... it just has a rain gully along the edge of the road.

I'd love to lower the car a bit for handling and aesthetic purposes, but I'd have to install one of those hydraulic suspension lifts to make it usable.

I also plan to put 305's PSS's on the rear when its time to change the tires.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

The topic of tires can be beaten to death. The 20 inch Pirelli PZeros is by far the worst tire I've driven on. The PZero is one of the lowest rated tires by TireRack.

Nearly any car can make the tires spin regardless of the compounds or brand. Does it matter on daily street driving? I've managed to make my Honda s2000 rear wheels spin with Toyo R888 (which is an "R" compound tire) and that car has less than 151ft/lbs of torque.

Bridgestone just released the RE04 in the 20 inch sizes and that will probably be my next tire choice once I've gone through whats left of my PZeros.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I think opinion of P Zeros is well established but manufacturers continue to OEM them,many!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Bridgestone just released the RE04 in the 20 inch sizes and that will probably be my next tire choice once I've gone through whats left of my PZeros.
I don't see it on Tire Rack in any 20" size, but perhaps it will be eventually.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-03-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PolkNole
Too late - I've already upped the hp by about 80 to 630. So to help put that to the ground as I have RWD only, I'm looking for any possible solutions.
What happened to the torque? Higher peak, or broader plateau? Or both?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
What happened to the torque? Higher peak, or broader plateau? Or both?
I installed the Eurocharged pulley and tune, and improved the air intake. They linked a dyno on another page showing increases of 49hp and 85lbft of torque.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

I installed the Eurocharged pulley and tune, and improved the air intake. They linked a dyno on another page showing increases of 49hp and 85lbft of torque.
Are those numbers reversed?

Old 11-03-2015, 02:08 PM

Are those numbers reversed?
No. I'm going off of their posted dyno chart based on maximum hp and torque output...

Old 11-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

No. I'm going off of their posted dyno chart based on maximum hp and torque output...
Are these the charts from your car, or from their test mule?

Quick Reply: Anyone running 305/35-20 on rear