F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone running a full bolt on V6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is anyone running a full bolt on V6?

I know with tune and crank pulley, the V6 is sitting about 445 to 450 hp, but does anyone have intake, high flow cats, larger intercooler, etc? Is there any other bolt ons that will get the V6 to 500 hp?

I have a pair of cylinder heads and am going to talk to a local machine/ performance shop about porting/ polishing the heads and custom cams, valves, springs. I know I will need a new tune to bring it all together (maybe switch to Viezu), but I am checking to see what all of this is going to cost me and I'll let you know if it seems worth it ( keeping it under $6k), or not and just trade and go to a V8 F-Type.

If anyone has already done anything I am considering, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance,

Danny

Old 07-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

if you're gonna go ahead and upgrade internals go ahead and get a bigger blower, let us know how it goes

Old 07-25-2019, 01:16 PM

I don't think the V-6 makes enough power to utilize a larger blower and to my knowledge, no company, including Eaton, makes one.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
I don't think the V-6 makes enough power to utilize a larger blower and to my knowledge, no company, including Eaton, makes one.
Incorrect. V6 and V8 use different blowers, there is also one in-between.

If you are going to port and polish heads, you should also port and polish and gasket match supercharger. I am not aware/convinced that it would be cost-effective upgrading any of head's hardware due to lack of aftermarket parts, if you go that way post your findings and research here.

If you are going to tune and pulley, make sure you upgrade cooling. Current setup is up to thermal limit on stock setup.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

In this thread a guy ported his supercharger, and added nitrous and methanol injection but it was a V8.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...itrous-164223/

Terrance39 just posted a parts list for his methanol injection set up

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-parts-220896/

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (05-10-2024)
Old 07-25-2019, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I believe Ftype17 has a V-6 running 640 hp called a Vengeance 640. Requires a complete replacement of the engine internals as well as the supercharger. Appears not to be street-able. It’s been bumped to either a 3.4 or 3.7 L displacement.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-25-2019 at 02:21 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Carbuff2 (07-25-2019), Panthro (05-10-2024), Sir Bishop (02-02-2022), Uncle Fishbits (03-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I believe Ftype17 has a V-6 running 640 hp called a Vengeance 640. Requires a complete replacement of the engine internals as well as the supercharger. Appears not to be street-able. It’s been bumped to either a 3.4 or 3.7 L displacement.
I don't think the Vengeance would fall within the OPs $6k budget.

SinF (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:56 PM

So, a larger inter cooler to go with heads and supercharger porting?

From what I can tell right now, cams and valve train will have to be custom. That’s what machine shop is telling me. I am also going to go ahead and get upper pulley at this point, I think. Maybe after porting, cams and valve train, it will be worth it.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

From what I can tell right now, cams and valve train will have to be custom.
This is prohibitively expensive to do right and just not worth the risk of doing on a budget. Leave existing hardware in place and focus on low-hanging fruit. That would be port and polish, port matching, pulleys, tune, exhaust with high flow cats, improved cooling.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Incorrect. V6 and V8 use different blowers, there is also one in-between.

If you are going to port and polish heads, you should also port and polish and gasket match supercharger. I am not aware/convinced that it would be cost-effective upgrading any of head's hardware due to lack of aftermarket parts, if you go that way post your findings and research here.

If you are going to tune and pulley, make sure you upgrade cooling. Current setup is up to thermal limit on stock setup.

Well, I wonder how we can find out which one is "in between," and if it is compatible with the V6. hmmm

Yes, the supercharger will be ported also, just forgot to mention. Can the current head's hardware take more power? The performance shop mentioned going to a 1mm different exhaust valve to start.
I have a sit down scheduled with performance shop this week and I have also reached out to Crane Cams and another company on how much it will be to custom make "higher" performance cams for the V6. I'm sure they will tell me if this is feasible, or not. It's not like they can't develop a better cam based on the current specs. I'm sure that it's more that no one has asked them to, so they feel there is no market for it, but what the heck do I know --> total beginner.

I already have tune and pulley. No one, including Velicity AP has suggested for me to upgrade cooling with the current tune and crank pulley. AND, they themselves have also told me that larger intercooler, nor high flow cats will increase the power of the car.

This is why I'm trying to get you guys to brainstorm with me here. 450 hp can't be this power plants limit. Maybe if Crane Cams, or another company can develop a nice cam for our V6 cars, we can get a group going? lol

Viezu has a crank pulley that is 15%.... I wonder how much better it is? Will it create that much more power? Anyone looked into it?

Last edited by Dan's cat; 07-26-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add information
Old 07-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

With the bigger crank pulley and VAP tune it is putting out 450 hp or 150 hp per litre, which these days is the benchmark for hi-po street engines.
We need to remember this engine is based on the AJ133 which was designed in 2008, so getting 150 hp per litre out of it is pretty damn good.
And by all reports the AJ133 SC was designed to put out 750 hp max so again 150 hp per litre.
Adding all this up it seems obvious to me that 450 hp is the max we can (safely) expect to get out of the V6 without radical and expensive mods.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Paul_59 (07-27-2019), sparky fuze (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I wonder how we can find out which one is "in between," and if it is compatible with the V6. hmmm

Yes, the supercharger will be ported also, just forgot to mention. Can the current head's hardware take more power? The performance shop mentioned going to a 1mm different exhaust valve to start.
I have a sit down scheduled with performance shop this week and I have also reached out to Crane Cams and another company on how much it will be to custom make "higher" performance cams for the V6. I'm sure they will tell me if this is feasible, or not. It's not like they can't develop a better cam based on the current specs. I'm sure that it's more that no one has asked them to, so they feel there is no market for it, but what the heck do I know --> total beginner.
The “in-between” is a TVS R1740, and the foot print is longer than that of a TVS R1320, so it is not a direct bolt-on to either the engine or the inter-cooler.
Unless Crane can build variable lift cams, cam replacement might be problematic. I suspect the F-Type cams already incorporate both street and performance profiles.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Panthro (05-10-2024), Paul_59 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:09 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

If you haven't fitted high flow / low restriction cats then this would usually lead to a small potential increase in power on most supercharged or turbocharged engines.

This approach will often need an appropriate tune to deal with potential check engine light (CEL) conditions it may cause.

The aim is to remove restriction to airflow in intake and exhaust, more airflow with appropriate fuelling and ignition timing leads to more power.

To paraphrase what others have stated the sky is the limit with power increase potential, but not for under 6K on an engine that doesn't have a significant aftermarket bolt on turning market.

Custom mods equals big budget.

V6 (AJ126) and V8 (AJ133) engines are very closely related, the supercharged engines have variable valve timing (VVT) on both exhaust and inlet, the aim being to optimise valve timing for different rpm and load conditions to maximize power at low, mid and high revs and load.

The NA (naturally aspirated) versions of these engines have camshaft profile switching (CPS)(variable cam lift) based on rpm and load in addition to variable valve timing.
Presumably there's a reason the supercharged engines didn't have CPS, my guess would be the gains were less than could be achieved with SC.

It's also possible to gain performance without huge power increases by for example significant weight reduction and better tyres.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59

It's also possible to gain performance without huge power increases by for example significant weight reduction and better tyres.
^^^This. Forged wheels + Michelin 4S, Wortec two piece brake rotors, lithium battery. I think somebody said this would shave about 100lb to 150lb off the car.

Unknownsir (08-03-2021)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

If you haven't fitted high flow / low restriction cats then this would usually lead to a small potential increase in power on most supercharged or turbocharged engines.

This approach will often need an appropriate tune to deal with potential check engine light (CEL) conditions it may cause.

The aim is to remove restriction to airflow in intake and exhaust, more airflow with appropriate fuelling and ignition timing leads to more power.

To paraphrase what others have stated the sky is the limit with power increase potential, but not for under 6K on an engine that doesn't have a significant aftermarket bolt on turning market.

V6 (AJ126) and V8 (AJ133) engines are very closely related, the supercharged engines have variable valve timing (VVT) on both exhaust and inlet, the aim being to optimise valve timing for different rpm and load conditions to maximize power at low, mid and high revs and load.

The NA (naturally aspirated) versions of these engines have camshaft profile switching (CPS)(variable cam lift) based on rpm and load in addition to variable valve timing.
Presumably there's a reason the supercharged engines didn't have CPS, my guess would be the gains were less than could be achieved with SC.

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
^^^This. Forged wheels + Michelin 4S, Wortec two piece brake rotors, lithium battery. I think somebody said this would shave about 100lb to 150lb off the car.
That combination of mods dropped the weight on my car by 140 lbs.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I don't think the Vengeance would fall within the OPs $6k budget.

That's very much accurate ;-) Engine, transmission etc. brings it close to $58K. The Supercharger alone is $5K
It's a 3.4L. on the Vengeance 640 No problems on the street, it behaves rather well and has no reliability issues.
3.7L is the crate engine version that is bored out to match the V8

The following 3 users liked this post by FType17:
Panthro (05-10-2024), Sir Bishop (02-02-2022), Unhingd (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Paul, to the best of my knowledge the AJ126 is/was only ever SC with no such thing as an NA version.
It was designed specifically to replace the AJ133 NA which I believe was discontinued a few years ago.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:44 PM

The aftermarket intake and high flow cats will be part of the performance upgrades, but as I was told by VAP, they do not give more power, so I am focusing on what will. I have an extra pair of heads, so I will drop them off tomorrow at the shop and we will see what can be done besides port/ polishing & the modification to the exhaust valves.

No one has commented on the Viezu 15% pulley and what difference that can make. Would 3% be worth anything? 20hp?

Last edited by Dan's cat; 07-28-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

The aftermarket intake and high flow cats will be part of the performance upgrades, but as I was told by VAP, they do not give more power, so I am focusing on what will. I have an extra pair of heads, so I will drop them off tomorrow at the shop and we will see what can be done besides port/ polishing & the modification to the exhaust valves.

No one has commented on the Viezu 15% pulley and what difference that can make. Would 3% be worth anything? 20hp?
My upper and lower pulley swaps together produce that same 15% SC overdrive. At redline, it pushes the SC beyond adiabatic efficiency, so even though I’m getting 6 more peak horses than others with the 11.8% lower pulley alone, my power starts to drop more as the engine gets to redline. I feel the Eurotoys or VAP lower pulley alone is a better match for the TVS R1320 SC.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Paul, to the best of my knowledge the AJ126 is/was only ever SC with no such thing as an NA version.
This is only true insofar as F-type. There are NA XKs, XJs and so on.

Quick Reply: Is anyone running a full bolt on V6?