Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone running a full bolt on V6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
This is only true insofar as F-type. There are NA XKs, XJs and so on.
Nup, SC only, see here for example:
https://motor-car.net/innovation/eng...3-jaguar-aj126

Old 07-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Nup, SC only, see here for example:
https://motor-car.net/innovation/eng...3-jaguar-aj126
+1. It was the previous V6 (AJ-V6) that was available as an NA. The AJ-126 released in 2012 is only SC.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
My upper and lower pulley swaps together produce that same 15% SC overdrive. At redline, it pushes the SC beyond adiabatic efficiency, so even though I’m getting 6 more peak horses than others with the 11.8% lower pulley alone, my power starts to drop more as the engine gets to redline. I feel the Eurotoys or VAP lower pulley alone is a better match for the TVS R1320 SC.

Thanks for all of your input. Do you think this would remain true with ported/ polished heads and SC snout? Like, I wonder if the problem you describe is coming from the restriction of increased airflow, or the RPM limits of the SC itself?

Old 07-29-2019, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
Thanks for all of your input. Do you think this would remain true with ported/ polished heads and SC snout? Like, I wonder if the problem you describe is coming from the restriction of increased airflow, or the RPM limits of the SC itself?
You can see the problem when you look at the Eaton performance curves for the R1320.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
I know with tune and crank pulley, the V6 is sitting about 445 to 450 hp, but does anyone have intake, high flow cats, larger intercooler, etc? Is there any other bolt ons that will get the V6 to 500 hp?

I have a pair of cylinder heads and am going to talk to a local machine/ performance shop about porting/ polishing the heads and custom cams, valves, springs. I know I will need a new tune to bring it all together (maybe switch to Viezu), but I am checking to see what all of this is going to cost me and I'll let you know if it seems worth it ( keeping it under $6k), or not and just trade and go to a V8 F-Type.

If anyone has already done anything I am considering, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance,

Danny
Little late to this forum but I've started wondering the same, I am going for the paramount performance lower crank and upper pulley as of right now. I feel a water/methanol would push the power output to easily over 500hp and at the same time keep everything cool. I also found a company called piper cams who make a "Ultimate Street" cam for the AJ V6 (S-type) and am wondering if that would fit my XE assuming I do a VVT delete. Wondering what else I could do to increase power and if the drivetrain/transmission could even handle 500/600hp+

I'd love feedback and if something is incorrect about what I'm planning to do please let me know!
Thanks

Old 03-25-2021, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think if you delete VVT you could gain more power with a more extreme cam, but such cam would have to be custom manufactured (and $$$). Also the tradeoff going this way would be drastic loss in everyday drivability. I would only do something like that on a dedicated track car. VVT is what allows you to have your cake and eat most of it.

I personally think that you will get better returns with port and polish. If I were to go as far as opening the engine, I would go with trying to increase RPM (e.g. dynamically balancing the crank) rather than adjusting timing. You will also need stiffer valve springs. I know VAP tried bumping redline on stock hardware and nothing exploded. The issue with this approach is that SC is already at max flow by 6500, so you will need a bigger blower or better flow through existing blower to benefit from RPM increase. Also, for AT you will have to reprogram shift points (I know VAP was working on that as well).

While I am by no means an expert in this area, I don't think timing is quite as important for performance on supercharged engines (as long as timing you have does not cause detonations). I speculated you won't gain much with a custom cam other than a lot of NVH headaches.

Last edited by SinF; 03-25-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:33 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

I haven't done any of the mods on your list. This is just me speculating regarding this particular engine/car.

I know most people on here say that the intake, exhaust and intercooler upgrade has marginal difference on their own as a singular mod but if you add them all up (5-10 hp for each mod), I would assume it would add up to something more noticeable and get you to 500 hp.

For the exhaust, it looks like most after market exhaust system simple delete the pre muffler resonator and they probably also do the resonator delete inside the muffler on the active/open valve side. Sprayno1 has a video on both of those, so you could save some $$$ having a muffler shop do that vs. buying an aftermarket. I did do a resonator delete on my RRSS V8 and lost some low end torque but it opened up power in the higher RPM. Sounded awesome and was much louder. After some other work, Intake/tune/pulley, etc, the low end torque was back to normal.

With a "new" exhaust system along with the upgraded cats, if you throw in the Mina Gallery intake, larger intercooler and a Meth kit, some colder plugs, and a "retune" I would assume (complete assumption) that you'll be well over 500 hp.

From everything I've read, most people say that each individual mod doesn't do much but no one has dyno'ed to truly know if there is a difference but that may be because of other limitations. i.e. you increase exhaust flow but it's limited by intake so you don't get a significant gain for that particular mod. But if you open up intake (increase air flow and colder air) AND make the combustion more efficient AND retune the ECU in addition to the free flowing exhaust, they expotentially increase HP because they all work together to create synergistic results.

Again, sorry for chiming in without real world experience with this but hope my opinion/thoughts has some valid logic.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

This thread is ****. I know it's not the end-game point of all these mods, but has anyone tracked how the sound of the car changes from base 340hp, to simple tune or pulley changes, on upwards? I'd be FASCINATED to see how it sounds with each mod. Not sure that's a weird person thought, but I adore the sound of my base, and I do *not* like the sound of the S, at *all*. Personal aesthetics, of course. But if the note on my base changed that much, I'd be bummed. But I just know I'm going to start tinkering at some point. I assume for conservative folk, you wait til after the warranty?

Old 03-29-2021, 03:56 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I haven't done any of the mods on your list. This is just me speculating regarding this particular engine/car.

I know most people on here say that the intake, exhaust and intercooler upgrade has marginal difference on their own as a singular mod but if you add them all up (5-10 hp for each mod), I would assume it would add up to something more noticeable and get you to 500 hp.

For the exhaust, it looks like most after market exhaust system simple delete the pre muffler resonator and they probably also do the resonator delete inside the muffler on the active/open valve side. Sprayno1 has a video on both of those, so you could save some $$$ having a muffler shop do that vs. buying an aftermarket. I did do a resonator delete on my RRSS V8 and lost some low end torque but it opened up power in the higher RPM. Sounded awesome and was much louder. After some other work, Intake/tune/pulley, etc, the low end torque was back to normal.

With a "new" exhaust system along with the upgraded cats, if you throw in the Mina Gallery intake, larger intercooler and a Meth kit, some colder plugs, and a "retune" I would assume (complete assumption) that you'll be well over 500 hp.

From everything I've read, most people say that each individual mod doesn't do much but no one has dyno'ed to truly know if there is a difference but that may be because of other limitations. i.e. you increase exhaust flow but it's limited by intake so you don't get a significant gain for that particular mod. But if you open up intake (increase air flow and colder air) AND make the combustion more efficient AND retune the ECU in addition to the free flowing exhaust, they expotentially increase HP because they all work together to create synergistic results.

Again, sorry for chiming in without real world experience with this but hope my opinion/thoughts has some valid logic.
Just my opinion (albeit based on scouring the forums) please correct me if any inaccuracies

intercooler: No hp gain. Although bigger, the core is the same size. May lead to faster recovery time between pulls

intake: No hp gain, (May result in a loss because of heat ?) With a supercharger the same amount of air gets sucked in per revolution... if anything the stock intake May act as a heat shield.

exhaust; stock exhaust are apparently pretty free flowing. Given that, maybe straight piping and coating the exhaust could lead reduced exhaust temps that can be taken advantage of?(maybe the 2nd o2 sensors may not signal to enrich the mixture if it’s under temp threshold... but that’s kind of not losing hp, rather than gaining

Meth kit: usually used to lower temps to subsequently advance timing. I do have insider information, that someone on the forum is looking to fully tune for meth on the v6 (rather than just for cooling). Think it’s a work in progress.

So unless tuning for meth adds 50 hp, 500 hp is not too likely. It would def be nice though

Old 07-18-2021, 02:58 PM

Returning to this forum after a couple months and some more digging, Viezu has a kit for the v6 f-type claiming 495 hp from filters, intake, crank pulley and a tune. It would be unreasonable for 500 hp to be the “limit” for this platform. Even just saying it will strictly make 450 on those upgrades alone, these cars are flex fuel compatible and are direct injected. Did some digging to find that out but I came up with this among other things..

viezu crank pulley/intercooler (80hp)
minagallery intake/filters (0-10hp)
100% methanol injection kit (40hp+)
60lb e85 friendly injectors/dual walbro fuel pumps (50hp+)
custom tune (40hp+)

that all equals up to a grand 560 hp and only costing around 3700$ if you do it yourself which wouldn’t be impossible aside from the tuning aspect. These numbers are all just slightly educated guesses but regardless what numbers you put it you’re going to get above 500hp no matter what.

hope this helped and I will let you guys know once I pull the trigger on these upgrades

Old 07-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Walker Bray
Returning to this forum after a couple months and some more digging, Viezu has a kit for the v6 f-type claiming 495 hp from filters, intake, crank pulley and a tune. It would be unreasonable for 500 hp to be the “limit” for this platform. Even just saying it will strictly make 450 on those upgrades alone, these cars are flex fuel compatible and are direct injected. Did some digging to find that out but I came up with this among other things..

custom tune (40hp+)

that all equals up to a grand 560 hp and only costing around 3700$ if you do it yourself which wouldn’t be impossible aside from the tuning aspect. These numbers are all just slightly educated guesses but regardless what numbers you put it you’re going to get above 500hp no matter what.

hope this helped and I will let you guys know once I pull the trigger on these upgrades

- the heat exchanger (intercooler) does not add horsepower.

- may lose HP. This is forced induction via a supercharger, cool air is most important factor

-typically used for cooling or as a mitigation strategy when using high boost (larger supercharger).

Are you sure it is easily compatible?

custom tune (40hp+)
- should be paired with crank pulley

So starting with a base at 340 hp

tune+pulley: +100 - 110 hp. (445-450)
intake+filter: -2 - 0 hp
meth injection: 25-50. (470 - 500)
Heat exchanger: 0

To clear 500hp without question would probably require a larger supercharger.

However, in a budgetless mechanically savvy world, I would imagine a turbo yielding the greatest fruit. Mechanically speaking the engine could hold 600+ hp with stock internals.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:55 PM

Correct the intercooler doesn’t actually increase hp but it comes in the crank pulley package from viezu which boasts 80hp straight out of the box with a tune (a non mail order tune should yield better results I’ve seen the VAP tune in person and it doesn’t run great in Texas weather) and also correct the intake wouldn’t be necessary as the blower isn’t maxed out with how much it can flow but opening up the air boxes would let it breath better. The e85 seems to be simple from what I’ve read up on other people’s builds with f-type’s (maybe beef up the fuel lines later on) and lastly a water/methanol kit yields maybe around 30-40 hp on the low end but run 100% methanol and you start to see some more gains.
keep in mind all of this is just a guessing game

Last edited by Walker Bray; 07-18-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Ported supercharger, pulley, flex fuel sensor and e85 blend would make the V6S a beast.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm coming from the 4G63T world, but had a turbocharged 4 cylinder with nothing but bolt-ons putting down 437WHP. I don't know the inner workings of the F-Type ECU, but it shouldn't be too far off.

The Intercooler will provide a cooler intake charge and typically less restrictive flow. Meth injection is normally just for cooling the intake charge, as you're not really injecting enough Meth to make a difference. There are some crazy kits that are designed to function as a secondary fuel source, but I can't imagine a situation where you'd need one for an F-Type. You only need to consider an intercooler upgrade and meth injection when the temperature of the intake charge begins causing knock or you're pushing so much air that the intercooler needs larger diameter piping. Most ECUs begin to pull timing if you experience knock which can very drastically reduce power delivery.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:03 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Walker Bray
Correct the intercooler doesn’t actually increase hp but it comes in the crank pulley package from viezu which boasts 80hp straight out of the box with a tune (a non mail order tune should yield better results I’ve seen the VAP tune in person and it doesn’t run great in Texas weather) and also correct the intake wouldn’t be necessary as the blower isn’t maxed out with how much it can flow but opening up the air boxes would let it breath better. The e85 seems to be simple from what I’ve read up on other people’s builds with f-type’s (maybe beef up the fuel lines later on) and lastly a water/methanol kit yields maybe around 30-40 hp on the low end but run 100% methanol and you start to see some more gains.
keep in mind all of this is just a guessing game
what do you mean by opening up the airboxes will make it breathe better?

the blower sucks in a fixed amount of air per revolution. Opening the airboxes would probably just add heat

Old 07-22-2021, 04:13 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007
I'm coming from the 4G63T world, but had a turbocharged 4 cylinder with nothing but bolt-ons putting down 437WHP. I don't know the inner workings of the F-Type ECU, but it shouldn't be too far off.

The Intercooler will provide a cooler intake charge and typically less restrictive flow. Meth injection is normally just for cooling the intake charge, as you're not really injecting enough Meth to make a difference. There are some crazy kits that are designed to function as a secondary fuel source, but I can't imagine a situation where you'd need one for an F-Type. You only need to consider an intercooler upgrade and meth injection when the temperature of the intake charge begins causing knock or you're pushing so much air that the intercooler needs larger diameter piping. Most ECUs begin to pull timing if you experience knock which can very drastically reduce power delivery.
Summer time + tune and pulley...
timing will get pulled unless your getting highway-esque airflow.

And for the record, viezu is offering a heat exchanger. The intercooler is part of the upper intake manifold. There is no data that suggests the heat exchanger will result in cooler intake charge. This is information gathered from multiple sources, some have tested it

However Meth injection will lower intake temp

Old 07-22-2021, 04:14 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by CW3SF
Ported supercharger, pulley, flex fuel sensor and e85 blend would make the V6S a beast.
Very very little to be gained from porting the 1320

Old 07-24-2021, 12:07 PM

Any chance you still have the info on where to find and purchase this $5K supercharger you speak of? If you happen to know of a better way to find injectors than me spending hours in manufacturers catalogs matching specs to the O.E. injector that would be awesome. After I install all the bolt-on stuff finding anything for this car is gonna be rough.

I am ordering all the Bolt-ons for now but in the winter month's the engine and Trans are coming out for a little nip & tuck before my friend sells off his Head Mill & Valve Grinder. My plan is to make it fun quickly, then when I get the time I plan to see what I can do with a decently equipped machine shop and whatever money I decide to throw at it. Aside from hours of machine work going into the engine, I'd like to change up the ring & pinion, find a torque converter, and do as much weight reduction as I can.

Also, suspension parts count as bolt-ons so I should do all that now too.
Is anyone out there using anything other than AllData for their tech info?

Old 07-24-2021, 01:13 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by LuvCOMPLEXbuilds
Any chance you still have the info on where to find and purchase this $5K supercharger you speak of? If you happen to know of a better way to find injectors than me spending hours in manufacturers catalogs matching specs to the O.E. injector that would be awesome. After I install all the bolt-on stuff finding anything for this car is gonna be rough.

I am ordering all the Bolt-ons for now but in the winter month's the engine and Trans are coming out for a little nip & tuck before my friend sells off his Head Mill & Valve Grinder. My plan is to make it fun quickly, then when I get the time I plan to see what I can do with a decently equipped machine shop and whatever money I decide to throw at it. Aside from hours of machine work going into the engine, I'd like to change up the ring & pinion, find a torque converter, and do as much weight reduction as I can.

Also, suspension parts count as bolt-ons so I should do all that now too.
Is anyone out there using anything other than AllData for their tech info?
The supercharger he used was likely ordered for a different car and then adapted. If you are serious about pushing the car to the max, id start by reading all of his posts. So much good knowledge to be had, he was truly an expert on this platform.

Where in Tennessee are you located?

Old 08-02-2021, 02:11 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I would take what viezu say with a pinch of salt, they're based over here (UK) and i know a few people who've used them
with not great results and not great aftersales service. just saying