F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone tried to remove the opf filter from a P575?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 08:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default anyone tried to remove the opf filter from a P575?

I've just purchased a P575 convertible coming from a V8R AWD, and whilst the new car is better in almost every measurable way, it's lost some soul due the the sound and burbles.
I've got around the valve issue, for anyone who doesn't know, even though the new car has an exhaust value button, the valves still stay closed and don't open until i think 4500RPM, no more nice grumble and burbles lower down. Installed a piggyback module and now the valves act the same as the older cars when you press the exhaust button and yet the car still doesn't sound the same and feels a little bit choked and restricted lower down. I'm guessing this is because of the OPF or particle filter. Has anyone tried to remove this? Did engine lights come on if you did? I think the opf filter is in with the cats.....is that right?

Old 10-16-2022, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by boultons911
I've just purchased a P575 convertible coming from a V8R AWD, and whilst the new car is better in almost every measurable way, it's lost some soul due the the sound and burbles.
I've got around the valve issue, for anyone who doesn't know, even though the new car has an exhaust value button, the valves still stay closed and don't open until i think 4500RPM, no more nice grumble and burbles lower down. Installed a piggyback module and now the valves act the same as the older cars when you press the exhaust button and yet the car still doesn't sound the same and feels a little bit choked and restricted lower down. I'm guessing this is because of the OPF or particle filter. Has anyone tried to remove this? Did engine lights come on if you did? I think the opf filter is in with the cats.....is that right?
I reckon it is a racing certainty that removing the GPF (gasoline particulate filter also known as a petrol particulate filter) will result in the same error codes, error messages and CEL as if you removed the DPF (diesel particulate filter) from a diesel car/truck. It could also trigger restricted performance (RP) mode, I forget if removing the DPF does that if the ECU is not tweaked.
Also doing so could cause the car to fail a MOT test (UK) or a state-based emissions test (US) but I don't know if those tests are sophisticated enough to detect that without a detailed physical examination (aside from CEL and error codes), ie just by sniffing the exhaust gasses, as the amount of particulates removed by the GPF is vanishingly small unlike those in a diesel.
Many owners of diesel XFs and XJs have removed the DPF and then tweaked the ECU (usually added a tune as well) to fool the DPF software and prevent codes and error messages etc, and commonly they have gutted the DPF by cutting open the outer shell then welding it back in place to fool any visual inspection at a MOT. Of course these days the MOT will easily detect the excess diesel particulates and cause you to fail the MOT, and ping you with a huge fine to boot!
Point is, it may be possible to do the same with the GPF and then tune/tweak the ECU (Powertrain Control Module or PCM in JLR speak) to prevent codes and error messages etc but I have not read of anyone attempting this yet.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the info......I will need to find someone who can remap it as I have someone who will cut things open and welad them back together.
Do you happen to know where the GPF is located within the new f-type exhaust system....from initial inspection I think it must be in with the cats?

Old 10-17-2022, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Thanks for the info......I will need to find someone who can remap it as I have someone who will cut things open and welad them back together.
Do you happen to know where the GPF is located within the new f-type exhaust system....from initial inspection I think it must be in with the cats?
Still looking for a diagram for the F-Type showing the location of the GPF, but in the meantime this thread over on the Pommy forum might help a little: https://www.jaginfo.org/threads/h135...er-gpf.106970/
And yes in with the cats would make sense but as the F-Type V8 uses two pairs of cores for the cats (ie two each side) I suspect there will be two GPFs one each side either just before or just after the cats.

Edit 1 - you could possibly ask our friends at Supersprint who make a complete exhaust system for the P575, see here: https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/sp...pe-r-p575.aspx
Nothing on that page about any GPF(s) but surely they would know!

Edit 2 - it seems you may be right and the GPFs are incorporated into the cat filters or at least the cat filter housings somehow.
I generally find that the parts diagrams shown by Jaguar Palm Beach are as detailed as you are going to find and their diagram of the 2022 F-Type R (AKA P575) shows only the cat converters and no GPF(s) as such, see here: https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/a/...S/4760335.html
However I have a sneaking feeling that the NAS (eg US) cars don't have GPFs at all coz they are required by Euro 6.2 emissions regs but not by US regs, in which case no wonder that diagram doesn't show any GPF(s)!

Edit 3 - I have spent some time searching and trawling the EPA website (yes, it was painful but sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do) and zero mention of gasoline particulates or Gasoline Particulate Filter. Lots and lots about diesel particulates and DPFs but nada zip zero zilch about GPFs.
Which tells me that GPFs are not a legal requirement on US F-Types.
However knowing Kalifornia and CARB I would not be at all surprised if GPFs are required there and in turn JLR have decided to stick them on all US F-Types anyway. More research beckons, EPA was bad enough I shudder to think what CARB will be like!

Edit 4 - CARB site research - again absolutely nothing about gasoline particulates or GPFs so it doesn't look like GPFs are required in Kalifornia.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-17-2022 at 11:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 05:46 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes you can remove the gpf, a few people have changed there cats for pre gpf cats with no problems what so ever.
I know of at least 2 over here, UK.

The following 2 users liked this post by Timbo:
OzXFR (10-17-2022), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (10-19-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 05:00 AM

That's great news, and those two people have done it with the MY2021 F-type?
Thanks for taking the time to inform me, greatly appreciated.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:26 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Just pull the active exhaust fuse, probably still #15 in the engine bay fuse box, and they will stay fully open all the time. Plenty of noise and will turn heads, believe me.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:25 PM
Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Some information.....

Hello Gentlemen,

On the newest generation Euro-spec Jaguar F Type model, the R&L catalytic front
exhaust section has an additional buit in GPF particulare filter.

The US spec models most likely do not have the GPF at this time , only the catalytics, due
to the different regulations on emissions, USA versus Europe.

Our R & D department first found the GPF equipment on a 2020 RR Sport SVR, which shares
the same engine with the Jaguar F-Type R.

Technically speaking, the same Supersprint R&L catted downpipe from the
non-GPF, early gen. model still fits, however we have added some
threaded bungs to the pipes for the monitoring hoses of the exhaust gas
back pressure, which the Jaguar / RR factory has included with the GPF
filter itsef.

Plugging the factory sensor hoses to the Supersprint Catted downpipes
usually takes care of the potential errors, since the pressure
difference made by the catalytics, while being significatly lower and
does not exceed the limits set by the factory.

On the contrary, going with totally Catless downpipes triggers an
error CEL to appear on the dashboard, almost imemdiately, and it requires the ECU to be modified via software tune, in
order to get rid of the error CEL light.

Speaking about the 2021 and newer F-Type R (euro spec, GPF equipped) we
have not worked on this model car yet, therefore we are not fully informed about
any other difference in the exhaust.

It seem like the rear muffler may have a different, inner design, and
new style electric flaps vs. vacuum flaps, as found on the older model.

As soon as we will get our hands on a 2021-2022 F-Type R car, we will know more about the GPF Exhaust System.

Realistically, the front and the mid exhaust section of the earlier version are fine, with only the addition of bungs, for the exhaust gas back pressure being needed, however the rear muffler will be different, and need some R&D work in the area of the flaps.

I hope this information helps.
Respectfully,
Roberto

Old 11-13-2022, 03:05 PM

I see supersprint now offer a cat delete pipe for the P575 f-type.......has anyone fitted this, or has anyone figured out how to remap the latest gen so the engine light doesn't come on once this has been done.
The gpf filters on this car are really choking the performance and soul from this car.......you can feel as if the car is being choked and restricted, especially low down.