Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use smart glass on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone use smart glass on cars?

I have been really wanting to tint out my new R. I normally get limo tint
And if I get pulled over ask for forgiveness. I saw this new smart tint to where you can turn tint up and down. I don't want to do limo tint because visibility already is not very good and to throw a black tint on that would be a potential problem. So anyone have any experiences with smart tint?

Old 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by santacruzmg
I have been really wanting to tint out my new R. I normally get limo tint
And if I get pulled over ask for forgiveness. I saw this new smart tint to where you can turn tint up and down. I don't want to do limo tint because visibility already is not very good and to throw a black tint on that would be a potential problem. So anyone have any experiences with smart tint?
Spent about 3 or 4 minutes picking my jaw off the floor. This deserves a video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlxcp4Vi1bY:

Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Spent about 3 or 4 minutes picking my jaw off the floor. This deserves a video link
Wow that is super cool reminds me of the windows on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

My old office location had a conference room with an entire wall made out of something similar. Somehow it is electrically controlled. Just like a dimmer switch for a light bulb, you can adjust the level of "tint" We always knew some "Bad" conference was taking place and the room was all blacked out completely!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

That's awesome... you pulled me over for tinted windows? What tinted windows, officer?

Uncle Fishbits (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
My old office location had a conference room with an entire wall made out of something similar. Somehow it is electrically controlled. Just like a dimmer switch for a light bulb, you can adjust the level of "tint" We always knew some "Bad" conference was taking place and the room was all blacked out completely!
It's lithium ions electronically controlled to be attracted to a different electrode. SCIENCE! How do electrochromic (smart glass) windows work? - Explain that Stuff

A few high end hotels have bathrooms like this. so weird to see it go from clear to opaque.

TXJagR (01-21-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 02:44 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't have experience with electrochromic glass in a car, but I have used it in conference rooms. It's pretty cool stuff and works really well for privacy. No idea how well it works for UV A/B protection though, which is what it would need to provide in a car.

Depending on its UV properties, I would love to put it in my car, but I've always assumed it was prohibitively expensive. I'd welcome some price quotes on it, assuming one could find a local installer. None of the places I've seen in the bay area are advertising that as an option.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I was interested in these as well mostly for the wow factor. After doing a lot of research decided dyed, metallic tints are not what I wanted. Huper Optik ceramic is the best tint for reducing heat if that's what you're looking for but yes it doesn't have the wow factor associated with smart tints.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Just throwing this out there for those that use V1s or other laser/radar detectors, you may want to check out if this (admittedly very cool) changeable tint has any metal in it that would effect the performance of the detector(s). Disclaimer: I haven't clicked any links, just throwing it out there.

Nice find on a very interesting product!