F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using an after market rear view mirror back up camera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Anyone using an after market rear view mirror back up camera?

I came across this rear view mirror mounted camera/dvr/back up camera/gps just last night. Giving it some consideration due to the poor visibility out of the back window and that bad blind spot out of the passenger side. Anyone using something similar? Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited by SonofGaladriel; 06-07-2021 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bcbruno (06-08-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 10:15 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

I think it is a bad solution for you.
I presume you already have a a reverse camera for parking so just want it for blindspot checking if you have a 2017
That thing is massive and ugly. if you look at the mounting points the clips are pretty far apart , our OEM mirror is a small and shaped so questionable that you will be able to mount it to the face.
You will lose your auto dimming.
You will only get benefit by having the rear camera on all the time. If screen is off the reflection in one way mirror is quite dark and inferior to a normal mirror. An extra wide mirror will not give you any additional blindspot coverage so you are relying on
leaving the rear camera on all of the time
You will have to mount another rear camera to feed this unit so that will be very hard to do stealthily and will look out of place too

Old 06-07-2021, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

We have the clearsight rear view mirror in our XE. It has standard mirror function, but if you flip a switch it turns into effectively a TV for a camera mounted in the sharkfin. Cool tech. My comments are based on clearsight, I dont know about the one you have shown.

Pro's -
absolutely fantastic, clear picture;
overcomes problems if you have teens in the back

Con's
Only one, really. That is that when the TV function is on you are looking at a screen so your focus is say 18 inches from your eye. But if you are looking at a normal mirror, you are looking at something that might be 30 feet away. If you wear corrective lenses to correct short sightedness, if really messes with your vision and can give you an eye ache.

Summary
If you have 20/20 vision, I'd give it a crack. If you dont, I'd try driving a XE/XF etc with the clearsight first to find out if it is going to be a problem.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Borbor
I think it is a bad solution for you.
You will only get benefit by having the rear camera on all the time. If screen is off the reflection in one way mirror is quite dark and inferior to a normal mirror. An extra wide mirror will not give you any additional blindspot coverage so you are relying on
leaving the rear camera on all of the time
You will have to mount another rear camera to feed this unit so that will be very hard to do stealthily and will look out of place too
Yes, the plan is to use the rear camera all the time and forego the actual mirror. Yes, it comes with a 2.5K rear camera that I can easily mount up high in the back hatch with the camera just low enough to look out the rear window, which, I believe, will be very inconspicuous.
However, after measuring just how wide this thing is at 12", it will decrease my front field of view by another 1.5 inches on both sides of the existing rear view mirror. Not a good trade off: increased rear visability/decreased front visibility. Starting to talk myself out of it. The 10" version is a consideration, but the front facing camera sticks out wierdly to one side and is not very attractive.

Last edited by SonofGaladriel; 06-08-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:02 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
... after measuring just how wide this thing is at 12", it will decrease my front field of view by another 1.5 inches on both sides of the existing rear view mirror. Not a good trade off: increased rear visability/decreased front visibility.
Could it be fitted off-centre with all the extra 3 inches on the passenger side?

Old 06-08-2021, 12:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

MY CPO didn't have the vision pack, so I bought the Auto Vox X2. The front and back dash cam is great for peace of mind in case something happens. By default I have it off, and need to tab it to turn on the reverse camera for parking or whatever. The picture is great but you don't get the parking sensor beeps (annoying but I guess useful).

PROS: Dashcam. Rear camera look great because it looks like part of the car.

CONS: UGLY when you look at the front mount from the outside because the elastic bands are visible. I also had a shop hide the wires through the body, but the cables on top of the mirror are still visible and it *used* to bother me.

Overall 9/10 experience if you don't have the vision pack. I'm also in the market for a full replacement version but I haven't found one.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
I came across this rear view mirror mounted camera/dvr/back up camera/gps just last night. Giving it some consideration due to the poor visibility out of the back window and that bad blind spot out of the passenger side. Anyone using something similar? Thoughts? Opinions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMdhz15Fq0Y
Coincidentally I purchased two of these, different brands, and tried them out yesterday. Thought it'd be to great to use a streaming rearview camera to replace the rearview mirror, but the glare and reflection on these aftermarket displays are so horrendous that I see both the video and the reflections. And this was on a cloudy day. Also the image quality itself is grainy and poor, and with such a wide angle objects display much further than they are. Returned them today and sticking with a regular 2 channel dash cam. These add-on products cannot compare to factory ones, like I have experienced on LRs.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I find the stock mirror blocks a larger portion of my view than I'd like already. This compounds that problem. Maybe it's not an issue for others but there are some uphill right-hand bends that get completely obscured by the mirror and I find myself having to bob and weave to see where I'm going.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Devmen- Do you have glare issues with the X2 like Bierry mentioned with his units?
lizzardo- I have found a 10" version that only blocks an extra 1/2" on each side of the stock mirror.
I'm still on the fence about this purchase.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:27 AM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Todays C&D email has a report on aftermarket rearview cameras. My MY 14 F type convertible did not come with a rearview camera or as much as a garage door opener. I would like to retrofit a rearview camera to see out of the darn thing. Any advice would be much appreciated. My dealers service department advised early on that they would, and could do the installation.

As an aside, I think that much of Jaguars sales problems with the F type were caused by it being so poorly equipped at the beginning.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:31 AM
MEC
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Relay pin identification

EsRay,

If the relay did not come with a way to identify the pins, best way to do so is to apply 12V to the pins 1 and 2 (they are the 2 pins opposite each other). You should hear and feel the relay lightly click. Once you have that test set up, use a multimeter (testing for ohms, not voltage) and set one lead in the center pin of the 3-pin cluster. That should be pin 3. Then test either adjacent pin next to pin 3 with the power off. If you get continuity, that is pin 4. Pin 5 would show no continuity. Then apply the 12V to pins 1 & 2. Now with one test lead on pin 3, you should get no continuity on pin 4 and full continuity on pin 5.

Wiring jumpers look good!

Hope this all helps.