F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything wrong with the V8S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything wrong with the V8S?

Hey guys, new to the forum here just thinking about getting into a F Type. I was originally thinking about getting a R but seeing the V8S at $15k+ cheaper I am wondering if the V8S is that big of a downgrade? I see V8S being listed at ~$50k which is just a $5k premium over equivalent model year V6S models.

Am I missing something or does the V8S pricing seem to be a bit wacky?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

The R makes more power, but you probably already knew that. There is nothing wrong with the V8S whatsoever. And personal preference will be the deciding factor (and money, I guess) regarding the V8 over the V6. I think you should go drive them both and determine if you need or want 340hp, 380hp, 495hp, 550hp or 575hp. Jaguar gives you lots of options for engine output (including the new 400hp model). For me, I was coming from a C63 with 481hp, so I wanted the V8 and found a great deal on a V8s with a certified warranty.

Short version: Test drive them.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

As a V8s owner, I'm biased towards them.

A lot depends on year and options. Maybe the V8s you are looking at is stripped? There were a lot of options/choices that were not intuitive between the V8s and Rs. You almost have to line them out.

Mine was loaded, so it gave me everything I wanted in a RWD vert package.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

It's the most tail happy of the bunch. That's about it when it comes to negatives, unless you don't see much rain, then that becomes a positive. If you don't think think five hundred hp is a hundred too much, the v8 is better than the v6 in every way.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Had mine since new - absolutely nothing wrong with it! And as per a recent thread from Cambo, the difference in power between the V8S and R may not actually be that large.

I have never felt I needed more power however if you find it lacking there are various tuning options available that can quickly and easily take you to 600bhp via a DIY software update for very little money.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I've got a V8S CPO. Same motor as all other V8s, just different tune. I think that all R's are AWD whereas S is RWD. The R is 0.2 quicker in the 1/4, but probably not noticeable on the street.

Whichever way you go, make sure that you get the Vision Pack particularly on a vert. Blind spots are huge.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I've got a V8S CPO. Same motor as all other V8s, just different tune. I think that all R's are AWD whereas S is RWD. The R is 0.2 quicker in the 1/4, but probably not noticeable on the street.

Whichever way you go, make sure that you get the Vision Pack particularly on a vert. Blind spots are huge.
The 2015 V8 Coupe was an R. That said, for $1000 you can get the V8S tuned to 600+hp. With another $1000 you can get even more with a lower pulley swap.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Blind spots are huge.
This right here.. Or, because my blindspot sensors never work (blocked, for some reason), I just hit the gas a little bit to make sure the lane is clear.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I am leaning towards the V8S since it is much cheaper than the R and barely anymore than the V6S.

Any of you had issues with parking it out while raining? I've had a soft top BMW leak before and may not have a garage for it until end of year.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

No problems with leaks - and with regards to blind spots, I don't seem to have problems there either, at least no more than other sports cars I have owned before.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Don't really recall anyone mentioning roof leaks - think the roofs are good. I do need to reapply waterproofing every year to my roof.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:11 PM

I have not had a single drop of water enter the vehicle. I apply waterproofing to the roof when I have time, but even before that, I did not have a single drop of water come in, and the roof was soaking up rain like a sponge. To add more facts to this post, which will make it more relevant, my car is parked outside at night due to circumstances beyond my control. When I am at work, the car is parking in a covered spot, but only if I get to work early enough. Thus, my car gets rained on all the time and it is dry as a bone inside. These tops seem pretty thick. They are made by Haartz. Exteriors | Sonnenland® A5.3M | Convertible Topping

Old 02-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

To add to the top discussion, verts are pretty damn quiet inside. Much more so than you'd think for a rag top.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

I wanted RWD and the R is AWD only here so the choice was clear.....the power difference is minor and is software only so more power is a download away if you feel you need more.

Dave

Old 02-27-2017, 11:57 PM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by CrouchingJAG
Thanks guys, I am leaning towards the V8S since it is much cheaper than the R and barely anymore than the V6S.

Any of you had issues with parking it out while raining? I've had a soft top BMW leak before and may not have a garage for it until end of year.
V8S is the value buy. And as Unhingd said, we have a $1000 tune that gets you to 600BHP. The S has the same exact engine as the SVR, it's just sandbagged.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 02-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CrouchingJAG
Hey guys, new to the forum here just thinking about getting into a F Type. I was originally thinking about getting a R but seeing the V8S at $15k+ cheaper I am wondering if the V8S is that big of a downgrade? I see V8S being listed at ~$50k which is just a $5k premium over equivalent model year V6S models.

Am I missing something or does the V8S pricing seem to be a bit wacky?

I have owned both the V8S RWD and the V8R RWD for close to a year each, and have settled on the V8R RWD.

A few differences with the ages of car you may be looking at...My V8S had hydraulic steering and the R has electric. Not that you can really tell the difference when out on the road/track. I prefer the styling of the R, very subtle, but nicer black instead of the usual chrome interior trims to the headlights for example. Small things.
The extra 50 or so HP, isn't really noticeable between the S and the R. The Torque Vectoring by Braking on the R is the only other notable difference, again, you won't feel this unless you do provoke understeer - personally I'd rather not have it.

I would say that the R feels a little more planted and sharper than the S, don't know why, because I think they run the same gear?

So, in essence, if the S's are in your price bracket then go for it! You wont be a million miles away from an R.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I test drove both a '14 V8S & a '15 R. Honestly, when test driving them, I didn't have the ***** to open them up all the way. Realistically, I'm rarely gonna be using that extra 50hp. So for me, it definitely wasn't worth paying more for the R at the time. Looking back, only regret I have is the AWD. The RWD V8S definitely gets squirrly at times and since my wife drives it more than me, I worry about it when it's wet out. Otherwise, **** it's an awesome car!!

Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 PM

The RWD version is actually very stable in the rain and even more so in the rain mode (which does something, I'm convinced, with the suspension and minimized hydroplaning). You'll eventually be able to go full throttle in it. I probably go 100% throttle at least once a day.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by Mueller
The RWD version is actually very stable in the rain and even more so in the rain mode (which does something, I'm convinced, with the suspension and minimized hydroplaning)...
From this document...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wskjex70o2...ntrol.pdf?dl=0

Rain/Ice/Snow Mode optimizes stability of the vehicle
to suit low-grip conditions. This helps the vehicle to
perform in a more gentle and controlled manner to
avoid skidding, allowing more confident progress
under adverse conditions.
Rain/Ice/Snow Mode as part of the DSC uses:
• Modified slip-control system map for braking
• Decreased throttle progression
• Early transmission upshifts
• Softer damper map (Adaptive Damping variants)

Old 03-02-2017, 08:47 AM

Knew it. This is by far the most stable vehicle I have driven through heavy rain with large puddles on the ground and driving through them. Normally, in my prior sports cars, the wheel going through the puddle will drag more and the car will feel unstable. In the jag, it just plows through, and you barely feel it.