F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyway to disable to lock horn?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017 | 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
Double locking is also known as dead locking, and has not been fitted to North American spec Jags for at least 15 years, but the rest of the world cars have it.

It's a pain in the backside and I've disabled it on my cars, because if the lock fails when it's deadlocked, the only way to get the door open is by breaking the lock.
Ahhh..., mystery solved. Thanks, Cambo!

Old 03-20-2017 | 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I do it with a diligent paranoia, as I had the dreaded dead battery one week after bringing the car home.
Ok...no need to do that anymore. The car went dead because the dealer tapped into the OBD port without rebooting the battery module afterwards.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-20-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2017 | 10:26 PM
|

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Press the Menu/OK button on the steering wheel until you get the "Main Menu" screen showing between the speedo & the tacho.
Scroll down to "Vehicle Set-Up" (use the down button just below the Menu/OK button) and press Menu/OK.
Scroll down to "Audible Lock Warning" and uncheck the box via Menu/OK.
Done, no more annoying beep!
this worked wonders.. THANKS!!!!

Old 03-20-2017 | 11:09 PM
|

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Do your mirrors fold when you lock the car? If so, you can fold the mirrors manually by holding down both mirror buttons at the same time.
tried pressing both mirror buttons...nada 😞

Old 03-21-2017 | 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
tried pressing both mirror buttons...nada 😞
Ignition has to be turned on.

Old 03-21-2017 | 01:11 AM
|

Ignition has to be turned on.
yep, tried it with ignition on.. 2017 base coupe...nada..

Old 03-21-2017 | 01:52 AM

There are several different versions of door mirror;

memory mirrors with powerfold, non-electrochromatic
memory mirrors with powerfold, electrochromatic, without blind spot monitor
memory mirrors with powerfold, electrochromatic, with blind spot monitor
non memory mirrors without powerfold

And then there are different versions for LHD and RHD

If you don't have memory seats, then the mirrors won't be powerfold.

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017 | 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Ok...no need to do that anymore. The car went dead because the dealer tapped into the OBD port without rebooting the battery module afterwards.
What causes the battery to die? , the car still thinks the accessories/ecu are still active because it thinks the diagnostic is still running? I know somewhere in the forum this hitting the lock button twice was discussed as the ultimate shutdown. Must not have received more knowledgeable responses.

As an aside, I have the folding mirror feature with blind spot, monochromatic. The motors do make the whirling sound. Our LR4 has them too, but does not beep on second lock. May be a setting also.

Old 03-21-2017 | 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

Nobody knows the underlying cause and, per typical behavior, the Jag dealer denies any such issue exists. Simply, there is a significant percentage of F-Types that will not hold a charge after the OBD port has been tapped into by any kind of device (tuning tool, diagnostic tool, GoPro, data logger, etc.). Simple solution (until the next OBD connection), disconnect battery for 10 seconds and reconnect. That resets the battery manager back to normal. The hassle is that display settings return to default, and the auto-up windows have to be reprogrammed, all of which can be done within a couple of minutes, but still a hassle. As Jag does not recognize this as an issue, there is no permanent solution.

Old 03-21-2017 | 09:18 AM
|

Nobody knows the underlying cause and, per typical behavior, the Jag dealer denies any such issue exists. Simply, there is a significant percentage of F-Types that will not hold a charge after the OBD port has been tapped into by any kind of device (tuning tool, diagnostic tool, GoPro, data logger, etc.). Simple solution (until the next OBD connection), disconnect battery for 10 seconds and reconnect. That resets the battery manager back to normal. The hassle is that display settings return to default, and the auto-up windows have to be reprogrammed, all of which can be done within a couple of minutes, but still a hassle. As Jag does not recognize this as an issue, there is no permanent solution.
so if you stick anything into the OBD2 port, for instance a diagnostic code reader, or a bluetooth/wifi transmitter, we will have a battery issue afterwards?

Old 03-21-2017 | 09:29 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Possibly. I've never plugged anything in, but the annual state inspection connects to the OBD port, and I've never had an issue. But many folks here have reported the issue, and when Lance suggests they disconnect the battery, it always fixes it.

Old 03-21-2017 | 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
so if you stick anything into the OBD2 port, for instance a diagnostic code reader, or a bluetooth/wifi transmitter, we will have a battery issue afterwards?
Originally Posted by DJS
Possibly. I've never plugged anything in, but the annual state inspection connects to the OBD port, and I've never had an issue. But many folks here have reported the issue, and when Lance suggests they disconnect the battery, it always fixes it.

Not all F-Types appear to exhibit this shortcoming. Dave is likely one of the lucky ones.

Old 03-21-2017 | 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Here's what my Owner's Manual says:

"Note: Double locking secures the vehicle and prevents the doors and the Luggage compartment from being opened from outside of the vehicle. The doors cannot be unlocked and opened from inside the vehicle. It also
activates the Full alarm system. See 17, FULL ALARM."

Mine is a late 2014 build MY2015.

Maybe this changed for MY2016?
To expand on the "activates the full alarm system" part - the second lock is the only way to enable the volumetric sensors used for interior intrusion detection. With the first locking they are not enabled (useful if you are locking the car with the windows open or with a passenger inside such as when paying for fuel, etc). They are also left disabled regardless of the locking state in convertibles with the roof down.

Note that as Cambo mentions "double locking" is the physical disengagement of the internal latch cable gear so the interior handle will not operate the door latch. That is not fitted to US-spec cars, although it may still appear in some US owners guides as often they bear limited resemblance to the actual vehicle as supplied. You can very easily tell if your car has double locking latches by locking once, then twice, and waiting approx. 30 seconds to listen for a short click/clunk sound from the latches.

Old 03-21-2017 | 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xdave
To expand on the "activates the full alarm system" part - the second lock is the only way to enable the volumetric sensors used for interior intrusion detection. With the first locking they are not enabled (useful if you are locking the car with the windows open or with a passenger inside such as when paying for fuel, etc). They are also left disabled regardless of the locking state in convertibles with the roof down.

Note that as Cambo mentions "double locking" is the physical disengagement of the internal latch cable gear so the interior handle will not operate the door latch. That is not fitted to US-spec cars, although it may still appear in some US owners guides as often they bear limited resemblance to the actual vehicle as supplied. You can very easily tell if your car has double locking latches by locking once, then twice, and waiting approx. 30 seconds to listen for a short click/clunk sound from the latches.
Yep, I've been caught out by this a few times now.
Car double-locked but with one or both windows down, giving it a quick clean/wipe with a MF cloth, and suddenly the alarm goes off in my earhole, not fun in a closed up garage!
Straight away realised I had poked a bit of cloth or finger or arm in through the open window and triggered the movement sensor.
Swear to myself never to do it again, but I keep doing it!

Old 03-21-2017 | 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

So when I go for my 1 year service, if they don't disconnect the battery it'll die a week later?

Old 03-21-2017 | 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

So when I go for my 1 year service, if they don't disconnect the battery it'll die a week later?
Assuming they had to tap into the OBD port for the service, it will take about 3-4 days for the car to die if it isn't driven. Within 1 day it will give you a low battery warning when you enter the car. You can tell fairly quickly if the battery needs to be disconnected/reconnected if the red Hazard Button light stays on for more than 10 minutes after the car is turned off and locked.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
jaguny (03-24-2017), Misujerr (03-22-2017)
Old 03-23-2017 | 09:46 PM
|

I just bought pearl backup camera that needs the wifi controller permenantly in the obd2 port to function. Lets see how this pans out

Old 03-23-2017 | 11:56 PM

I did this, box is unchecked, but it still beeps if it is unlocked & you push in the door handle. I was hoping it would fix that too.
Speaking of horns, I had to use mine for the first time today. Center button way less safe than controls near edge of wheel (takes longer to activate.)
Press the Menu/OK button on the steering wheel until you get the "Main Menu" screen showing between the speedo & the tacho.
Scroll down to "Vehicle Set-Up" (use the down button just below the Menu/OK button) and press Menu/OK.
Scroll down to "Audible Lock Warning" and uncheck the box via Menu/OK.
Done, no more annoying beep!

Old 03-24-2017 | 04:34 AM
Veteran Member

Assuming they had to tap into the OBD port for the service, it will take about 3-4 days for the car to die if it isn't driven. Within 1 day it will give you a low battery warning when you enter the car. You can tell fairly quickly if the battery needs to be disconnected/reconnected if the red Hazard Button light stays on for more than 10 minutes after the car is turned off and locked.
I wonder how many owners have suffered this fate. I wonder how many of the technicians are aware of it, or just forget to do it after OBD port service. I suspect the OBD will be connected for my 1 year service and recent enhancement and Meridian fix?

Old 03-24-2017 | 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder how many owners have suffered this fate. I wonder how many of the technicians are aware of it, or just forget to do it after OBD port service. I suspect the OBD will be connected for my 1 year service and recent enhancement and Meridian fix?
The service people at my dealership are unaware of the issue, but the Meridian service bulletin specifically instructs the technician to disconnect the battery and hook up an external power supply while the flash is taking place, so the Meridian upgrade should not trigger the problem.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (03-24-2017)